Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2021, 01:05 PM

3,528 posts, read 6,533,682 times

Advertisements

On TV sitcoms, and sometimes in real life, people have their microwaves mounted at eye level. I wouldn't want it to be at eye level because it would be harder to put things in and out, especially if it was heavy. Also if I was heating a bowl of soup it might spill out when I'm moving it. Why do some prefer to have it there?

One possibility is that it doesn't take up counter space.

I've always had mine at hip level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2021, 01:19 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
There was a huge thread debating the merits of over-the-stove wall mounted, countertop, and drawer micros not too long ago. Shudder at the thought this gets dredged up all over again. Whether it is at "eye level" or not isn't really the primary issue IMHO. What seems functionally more important is whether the micro is mounted on a wall over a counter/stove or sitting on it. FWIW, if the micro in this house was at "hip height" that would mean it is sitting on the counter. The loss of counter space in this or some previous kitchens of mine would be a major problem.

Tip: if you have to worry about spilling something hot when lifting it out of a microwave maybe you need to reduce how much you put in the bowl or use a bigger one! I'm the first to admit to not being a fancy cook, but I can't recall ever microwaving something so big or heavy I had to worry about lifting it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-15-2021 at 01:28 PM..

Old 02-15-2021, 01:21 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,381,989 times
Mine's mounted above the stove...it's at roughly eye level. 95% of the time I use it to heat up water for tea or instant coffee and to heat up leftovers so I have no issues with heavy stuff like a big platter of something.

And no, never an issue spilling a bowl of soup or cup of water - if it's too full to carry to the table it's too full for your microwave? ha

Old 02-15-2021, 01:21 PM

130,339 posts, read 12,118,417 times
Eye level would be better than 6 " off the floor, in the home we now live in, there is a built in mw, down near the floor, it is under the regular oven. I can't fathom why they did that. Needless to say I have never used it, & bought one for the countertop.

Old 02-15-2021, 02:02 PM

6,364 posts, read 4,193,409 times
Just above the countertop would also be considered a good height and being concealed might be appealing to some.

Last edited by Rickcin; 11-02-2021 at 09:36 AM..

Old 02-15-2021, 02:54 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
On TV sitcoms, and sometimes in real life, people have their microwaves mounted at eye level. I wouldn't want it to be at eye level because it would be harder to put things in and out, especially if it was heavy. Also if I was heating a bowl of soup it might spill out when I'm moving it. Why do some prefer to have it there?

You can just stick a straw into the soup and sip it out while standing there, rather than lifting it out.

No worries about closing the door on Mr. Happy, either.

I can't think of anything I have ever put in a microwave that I would call "heavy." What on earth are you cooking? Giant Swedes? Fruit cake?

Old 02-15-2021, 03:15 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Oh yes;pleeeeeease!!!!
Let’s beat the dead horse some more!!!!!

Old 02-15-2021, 03:24 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,436,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Oh yes;pleeeeeease!!!!
Let’s beat the dead horse some more!!!!!
Chevre tartar. One can develop a taste for it. You don't even need the microwave, you just chew the fat.

I wonder if I could mount a microwave on the ceiling beside my cutting board?

You don't know how tempted I am to take my pin nailer and mount a cheap cutting board to the ceiling over my stove, just to be able to post a pic.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:06 PM

3,608 posts, read 7,925,972 times
We need Microwave Inspectors from building code enforcement to track down improperly sited microwave ovens and then disable them.

They could get tips from school children.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:29 PM

37,619 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post

Mine is on the counter and has been in every home I have lived it. I would not want it anywhere else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House