Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2021, 05:11 AM

5 posts, read 2,427 times

Advertisements

A contractor painted over a popcorn ceiling containing asbestos and while doing so pieces of the heavy popcorn floated to the floor. Does this mean the material became friable and the entire apartment became contaminated? We are heart sick over this experience as we eventually moved into the apartment where work was done in this careless manner. Of course after moving in we cleaned and opened windows and eventually ripped up the carpet and purchased a new vacuum. But how can we possibly know we got rid of the contaminants and that our belongings including our furniture that were placed in the apartment afterwards did not become exposed to fibers that were still floating in the air? We lived in that apartment for 4 years and only now recently learned about the dangers of asbestos. We are currently in a house and naturally still own furniture that was in the old apartment. Have we been tracking asbestos from one place to another? And what about our canister vacuum that we used in the apartment and are currently still using in our new place? It is a good quality vacuum but is the vacuum ruined and possibly still spewing asbestos into the air? Please we need some answers and hopefully some peace of mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2021, 07:25 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,064,806 times
“Peace of mind” is subjective!

No matter what anyone says about exposure to asbestos, your view has already been contaminated- clearly in your words. The only way I see you getting over this “phobia” is to research on your own from trusted sources- an open forum such as this one is not that “trusted source”.

My $0.02- you have very little to worry about. But don’t take my word for it; it is an open forum and you don’t know me from Adam!!!

Old 07-07-2021, 08:38 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
If it were me, I'd go to the website of the NCGIH (National Council of Governmental and Industrial Hygenists) and reading their information on allowable exposure limits.

Old 07-07-2021, 09:19 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
I would solidify my funeral arrangements.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 2,427 times
I apologize if this was not the correct place to post questions. I merely was looking for responses from people who may have experienced something similar.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:16 PM

6,362 posts, read 4,190,693 times
I’ve worked with two brothers who were both steam fitters and they told me when they started in the trade, there was often barrels of powdered asbestos on their jobs. They said before break and lunch, they would grab a handful to scrub and clean their hands since it was abrasive, white in color and excelled as a hand cleaner.

I know for a fact that they both worked into their early 60’s, so based on their exposure, I’m thinking you shouldn’t give it another thought.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:19 PM

61,726 posts, read 87,147,355 times
You probably could collect few pieces and have them checked for asbestos.
What year was the apartment built?

Ask your landlord and in doubts, let him perform the test. Read more here:
https://www.mesotheliomahope.com/blo...al-properties/

Or talk to your doctor:
https://www.webmd.com/connect-to-car...ure-what-to-do

BTW: Just think about that the apartment ceiling was painted many times already and probably 4 years ago, before you moved in. If there was any exposure, its not new anymore.

Last edited by elnina; 07-07-2021 at 03:29 PM..

Old 07-07-2021, 03:28 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frances724 View Post
I apologize if this was not the correct place to post questions. I merely was looking for responses from people who may have experienced something similar.
This certainly is a place to post general questions but many many times by the time the question gets asked, the person posting it has already reached a conclusion. They really want replies that agree with it. When they don't get that validation, everyone who responds is wrong or an attacker.

If you are concerned about your exposure to asbestos, discuss it with your doctor. They can check for signs of lung damage.

Old 07-07-2021, 03:33 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
This is a general forum. If you want to know the ACTUAL dangers of asbestos, the amount that's required to cause health damage, and the proper ways to deal with it, don't ask here, nor on alarmist ambulance-chaser websites. I'd start with NCGIH as I recommended above.

Basically, unless you breathe great clouds of the stuff for years on end while also smoking heavily for years on end, your risk is pretty much vanishingly low. But don't take it from me, go out and research some science on the matter.

Old 07-07-2021, 05:09 PM

17,622 posts, read 17,682,949 times
First you should speak with local housing authorities. Merely being popcorn ceiling doesn’t necessarily mean it was asbestos. If it is asbestos and it came off during painting there may be an issue but painting over may be considered encapsulating. If you are a renter then it’s best to go though local authorities. Removing asbestos is not cheap and you would have to be moved out during the removal. If you are the property owners then do not try to remove it yourself to save money. Improper procedures and equipment would generate more asbestos airborne dust than is safe. If you are an owner and wish to have it removed then get estimates from licensed and insured companies and find ways to finance if you do have that amount on hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House