Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2021, 06:46 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times

Advertisements

In 2014 (December) we paid roughly $8,000 for materials and labor on a new roof on a 1500 sq ft new build. There was no tear-off, no haul away, no sheathing inspection. Just straight install underlay and shingle. Using what appears to be your calculation method, our $8,000 divided by 1500 sq ft of floor space is $5.33 per square foot of floor space. In your case you have $17,600 divided by 2600 sq ft of floor space which is $6.77 per square foot of floor space for a job that also included tear-off and disposal. We had no quarrel with the $8,000 6 years ago.

Before anyone jumps on me and says that is not how you calculate roofing, I know that. It was the best I could do with the information available and I used the same method for both situations for consistency.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:48 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,504,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
The contractor is making a killing. That is fact. This same company had another crew literally a block away doing another house. Both finished in a day. That’s $20,000 profit in a day.

Sorry it hurts your feelings that the citizenry knows that gouging is going on
If they had 2 jobs going that close together, simultaneously, they appear to be a larger company with more overhead than you seem to think.

Old 09-21-2021, 07:38 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,122,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
If they had 2 jobs going that close together, simultaneously, they appear to be a larger company with more overhead than you seem to think.
No no. I’ve seen their home base. Renting a small unit in an industrial space with one small front office.

Remember the work is subcontracted out

Old 09-22-2021, 06:45 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
The contractor is making a killing. That is fact. This same company had another crew literally a block away doing another house. Both finished in a day. That’s $20,000 profit in a day.

Sorry it hurts your feelings that the citizenry knows that gouging is going on
Are you his accountant? How do you know what his net is?

Answer: YOU DON'T!

I gave you several scenarios from Apple products to restaurant steaks, where do you draw the line on what a profit should be vs. your imagined gouging?

Old 09-22-2021, 06:55 AM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Going to a restaurant is an experience. But yes my wife absolutely can grill up some ribeyes and make sides that are just as good as a lot of these restaurants, at 25% of the cost. I can also buy a $50 bottle of wine that would be $200 at a restaurant

Getting a roof is keeping your house dry for the next 15+ years, wouldn't that be an "experience?"

So if you are comfortable with your wife's cooking steaks and your discounted wine. Why not just do the roof yourself? Subcontract like you did for the deck?

Either you are not confident in your numbers or you are unqualified to do the work......either way you hired the roofer and his price was in line with what the others estimated so you did your homework and hired the best guy for the job. Not sure what the point of this thread is, you don't know the guy's fixed overhead and you don't know any of his labor costs nor his insurance costs just what you guess is the material costs.

I'll bet $100 that roofer couldn't tell you his exact profit to the penny after that job is completed and I'd bet $1000 he didn't make anywhere near the 10K you believe he made. But if it lets you sleep good at night under your overpriced roof knowing that you are the patron saint of "citizenry" then great.

Noticed you sidestepped the question if you work for cost or if you have ever owned a business?

Old 09-22-2021, 07:06 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,587,290 times
Quote:
We can argue about illegal workers all day

There is still a $10,000 dollar profit in 1 day

So what professions are allowed to make 10K+ a day? Doctor, Electrician, Lawyer, Plumber, Banker, financial advisor, Pizza owner, Food truck? The market sets the price. Only white collar workers? I installed wood floors and a 10k day was not unheard of back in the day.

Old 09-22-2021, 07:13 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,841,577 times
Workers comp alone is somewhere around 25% to 30% for roofing contractors. Then there is general liability, commercial truck insurance and disposal costs for the old roofing. Trucks cost $60,000 or more for ones capable of pulling trailers and hauling equipment. The materials were probably double what the OP thinks they cost. Go to Lowes and look at how much one bundle of shingles cost now. Then the roofing company probably has an office with a warehouse that cost $750,000 with who knows how much in insurance and property taxes each year. Then there are days and weeks on end where it rains or it snows or there is a material delay or whatever. The OP has no idea how much it actually costs to run a contracting business. Wouldn't it be great if you could just go grab 4 guys and pay them $15 an hour each and have lowes drop off the material yourself? Sounds great in theory but give that a try and see how well it works out. lol

Old 09-22-2021, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Are you his accountant? How do you know what his net is?

Answer: YOU DON'T!

I gave you several scenarios from Apple products to restaurant steaks, where do you draw the line on what a profit should be vs. your imagined gouging?
So you’re admitting all companies gouge. Got it

Old 09-22-2021, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Getting a roof is keeping your house dry for the next 15+ years, wouldn't that be an "experience?"

So if you are comfortable with your wife's cooking steaks and your discounted wine. Why not just do the roof yourself? Subcontract like you did for the deck?

Either you are not confident in your numbers or you are unqualified to do the work......either way you hired the roofer and his price was in line with what the others estimated so you did your homework and hired the best guy for the job. Not sure what the point of this thread is, you don't know the guy's fixed overhead and you don't know any of his labor costs nor his insurance costs just what you guess is the material costs.

I'll bet $100 that roofer couldn't tell you his exact profit to the penny after that job is completed and I'd bet $1000 he didn't make anywhere near the 10K you believe he made. But if it lets you sleep good at night under your overpriced roof knowing that you are the patron saint of "citizenry" then great.

Noticed you sidestepped the question if you work for cost or if you have ever owned a business?
I’m just a pleb wage worker. Still just change the fact that this company made $20,000+ in one day on two roofs

Old 09-22-2021, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrviking View Post
So what professions are allowed to make 10K+ a day? Doctor, Electrician, Lawyer, Plumber, Banker, financial advisor, Pizza owner, Food truck? The market sets the price. Only white collar workers? I installed wood floors and a 10k day was not unheard of back in the day.
$10,000 per day after wages insurance and materials etc?! Thats insanity. What are you doing marking up the flooring 500% and charging $150 an hour for labor?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House