Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2021, 09:55 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
Oops and double oops.....

Thankfully I know exactly when I purchased it. Un-thankfully, it's over 2 years ago, so almost certainly out of warranty. Looks like I'll be getting a new battery. Sigh.

Not almost certainly, I'll be shocked if there's more than a year warranty on it because that's how long my dyson had.

Dyson is an over-priced piece of junk. There's a thread on garden web/ houzz called "my dyson sucks". It was a really popular thread. It was started after I got my dyson.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 11:35 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
Not almost certainly, I'll be shocked if there's more than a year warranty on it because that's how long my dyson had.

Dyson is an over-priced piece of junk. There's a thread on garden web/ houzz called "my dyson sucks". It was a really popular thread. It was started after I got my dyson.
I prefer not to deal in absolutes until I have checked for myself, haven't contacted them yet to see what the warranty is, hence "almost" certainly.

I still like the Dyson, and don't consider it a piece of junk. It's far better than any vacuum I've ever had, and does a great job aside from the battery issue. I personally dislike Sharks, and fwiw, don't fancy having to work around another kind of charging mount on my kitchen wall. So to me the best scenario seems to be replacing the battery. If I have to do that once more while I live in this home, that works for me. Then the holes in the wall are someone else's problem!

Old 10-11-2021, 02:25 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:

No way is it over priced slice or junk like a silly punk. My ball has been going fine since 2011 and my stick rick has been fine since 2018.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:42 PM

3,240 posts, read 3,198,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
No way is it over priced slice or junk like a silly punk. My ball has been going fine since 2011 and my stick rick has been fine since 2018.
Please keep,preaching. My Dyson finally gave out after 15 years of use (at one time we had 2 dogs and 2 bunnies so we were swimming in hair). The Dyson kept going and we were glad to make the switch after having 2 Hoovers die on us on about the span of 6 years.

We just ordered a new Dyson, the cordless Animal. It’ll be here in a week. No stopping us now.

Old 10-12-2021, 04:34 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizrap View Post
Please keep,preaching. My Dyson finally gave out after 15 years of use (at one time we had 2 dogs and 2 bunnies so we were swimming in hair). The Dyson kept going and we were glad to make the switch after having 2 Hoovers die on us on about the span of 6 years.

We just ordered a new Dyson, the cordless Animal. It’ll be here in a week. No stopping us now.

I'm glad you had a good experience, my experience isn't uncommon. People in that thread I mentioned also had issues.

I'd be curious how the new Dyson compares to the Shark I have. I still have my Dyson. I did a test using the Dyson, then using the newer Shark over what I just vac'd. The Shark picked up a lot more from the carpet that the Dyson did not get.

The Dyson's usually cost $500, the Shark I was given is under $200. For people looking not to spend $500, the Shark is a very good vac.

Old 10-12-2021, 06:18 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,621,102 times
Quote:
I'm glad you had a good experience, my experience isn't uncommon. People in that thread I mentioned also had issues.

I'd be curious how the new Dyson compares to the Shark I have. I still have my Dyson. I did a test using the Dyson, then using the newer Shark over what I just vac'd. The Shark picked up a lot more from the carpet that the Dyson did not get.

The Dyson's usually cost $500, the Shark I was given is under $200. For people looking not to spend $500, the Shark is a very good vac.
And with the Shark you're not limited to how long you can use it.

Old 10-12-2021, 07:34 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,458,170 times
Started with a Dyson in 2007. Absolutely love that brand!
Have the battery one that I now have all the attachments to give a magnificent cleaning to my car!
My home is small 1000sq ft with two rooms that are tiled. Easy peasy with the Dyson. My heavy duty Dyson rarely gets used unless I'm moving furniture and I want to do a deep clean in the process.
Will be on the lookout for the battery replacement. I'm sure Dyson will be good to this loyal consumer!
Yes tried the Shark. Nice machine as well. Two good brands can co exist in the cleaning world.

Old 10-12-2021, 08:02 AM

2,161 posts, read 1,153,771 times
I gave my shark away when I moved. Love my dyson!

Old 10-12-2021, 12:18 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,401,706 times
The batteries are pretty cheap online. The knock-offs aren't quite as good as the OEM but they cost a good 70% less so it's worth the trade-off. I had a dyson stick vac and the first battery only lasted a year, but the knock-off that I replaced it with outlasted the rest of the vacuum (other things started breaking a couple years later).

Dysons are pretty but that shiny plastic they use isn't terribly strong. The head broke most often, but I kept repairing it until an important piece inside the motor unit broke, then I gave up and trashed it. All in, I got about 3 years worth of use out of it. I wouldn't buy another Dyson, as we also had a corded upright that suffered a similar fate- pieces on the head kept breaking. So far I've been able to keep that one alive but a couple more repairs and I'm going to trash that one too.

Old 10-12-2021, 05:38 PM

30,434 posts, read 21,271,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
The batteries are pretty cheap online. The knock-offs aren't quite as good as the OEM but they cost a good 70% less so it's worth the trade-off. I had a dyson stick vac and the first battery only lasted a year, but the knock-off that I replaced it with outlasted the rest of the vacuum (other things started breaking a couple years later).

Dysons are pretty but that shiny plastic they use isn't terribly strong. The head broke most often, but I kept repairing it until an important piece inside the motor unit broke, then I gave up and trashed it. All in, I got about 3 years worth of use out of it. I wouldn't buy another Dyson, as we also had a corded upright that suffered a similar fate- pieces on the head kept breaking. So far I've been able to keep that one alive but a couple more repairs and I'm going to trash that one too.
My balll just won't break jake. I found another ball just like it out on the trash and took it home for spare parts bart. Since i got the stick i never use the ball anymore but maybe once a year to warm it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House