Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2021, 06:09 PM

23,353 posts, read 18,930,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I wash the sheets and pillow cases once a week. My mother used to say that in the olde days they would put the top sheet on the bottom and wash just the bottom sheet. It was hard to do laundry back in those days and the top sheet wasn't really dirty.

As for pulling the covers down for a few minutes before you make the bed, I read that the Shakers (I think) or the Amish recommended that for sanitary purposes. I guess it lets the bed sort of air out and dry out from any body moisture that it absorbed during the night. I do it when I have the time because it sounds like a good idea.
That's what my mother taught too. Seemed to make sense, but as for many things what we were taught becomes "the norm". Unless you are someone who runs around and sleeps naked, much of what your body exudes rubs off on your clothing. You wash that too (hopefully). Between bathing yourself and doing laundry it all ends up getting tolerably clean. Unless you're a germaphobe. Then the world's a very scary, dirty place and all bets are off.

I also pull the covers down or off the mattress every morning. Especially with my down comforter. Helps accumulated moisture dissipate and that plus a bit of roughing up helps the down loft up again. An old mountaineering trick was to whack your down sleeping bag with tent or ski poles and let it "rest" a while before climbing in.

Last edited by Parnassia; 11-30-2021 at 07:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2021, 07:24 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,402,450 times
I just LOVE slipping between cool, clean sheets after taking a shower! It feels so good, and smells so good - if I had the time and energy I'd wash my sheets every day. Way back when I was a kid and we went on vacation, good hotels still changed your sheets every day and I fantasized about being rich enough to have someone do that for me every day!

Old 11-30-2021, 07:52 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I just LOVE slipping between cool, clean sheets after taking a shower! It feels so good, and smells so good - if I had the time and energy I'd wash my sheets every day. Way back when I was a kid and we went on vacation, good hotels still changed your sheets every day and I fantasized about being rich enough to have someone do that for me every day!
Even better if those sheets have been hung outside to dry on a sunny, breezy summer day.

Old 11-30-2021, 09:12 PM

32,958 posts, read 36,425,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Luv Chins View Post
"According to a 2017 survey, only 44 percent of Americans wash their sheets once or twice a month. Eleven percent wash them once a season, and 5 percent do it only once or twice a year. "

OMG. ::slide lower into chair, pull t-shirt over nose::

Sunday is bed change day. Pillow cases changed on Wednesday and Sunday. Shower almost nightly.

I pull the covers back each morning to let the bed cool, then tear off everything except the fitted sheet and vigorously shake them off the back porch. I pull one corner up on the fitted sheet and, as Spouse says, "shake the farts out." It makes for a fresher bed and flaps the dog hair off.
I throw it in the dryer.

Old 12-01-2021, 12:10 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,397,772 times
I change my sheets every week, change the pillowcases three times a week.

Old 12-01-2021, 10:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,880,612 times
We change the sheets frequently. We have about 12 different pillows on our bed, so we turn them over and rotate them around. The thing we wash the most is the small bedspread we put neat the bottom of the bed for the dog to sleep on. Not sure whether dogs or humans leak more slimy effluvia while sleeping, but the dog's slimy effluvia seems ickier. Plus she sheds a whole lot more than we do.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:32 AM

24,634 posts, read 10,958,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Even better if those sheets have been hung outside to dry on a sunny, breezy summer day.
In my part of OK you will get two fringe benefits when line drying - instant tan and whole body scrub by means of red clay dust.

Old 12-01-2021, 11:57 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,483,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
In my part of OK you will get two fringe benefits when line drying - instant tan and whole body scrub by means of red clay dust.
Fortunately that's not an issue here. Due to the arid climate and intense sun, on a good day by the time you're done hanging the last sheet, the first is dry.

Old 12-01-2021, 01:20 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,962,966 times
Ewww, gross...

Our housekeeper changes our sheets daily except on her day off. One of life's pleasures is slipping into clean, crisp, 1500 count sheets after a nice shower. The comforter gets washed about once a month. And we buy new pillows every few months.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:36 PM

31,940 posts, read 27,057,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I've always changed my sheets weekly and do shower at bedtime which I think makes a difference. Also, more recently I've been making it a point to flip my pillow over every morning when I make the bed.

I've heard it's good to "air out" your sheets and not make your bed first thing but to pull the covers back and leave it for at least 15 minutes. I think the point is more to let it "cool off" so that whatever is living (yuk!) has a chance to die? It sounds weird to me but I think of it as having a warm refrigerator at 40 degrees vs. keeping it cooler - higher temperature, more stuff that is active and multiplying at a faster rate.
Yes, that is correct, bed and bedding should be allowed to "air out" for a bit before bed is made.

In old days bedding was turned down to foot of bed, windows often opened, and while the Missus or whoever was busy elsewhere in house things allowed to air. Then bit later someone returned to make the bed, close windows, etc..

If you sleep on down or feather pillows you'll notice if they are allowed to air a bit they fluff up. In the old country people put their down duvets out on balcony railings to air while beds were same.

Quite a bit of moisture and heat is given off during sleep, and while it may vary by person and or climate, it is a good thing to let things dry and cool down. Otherwise you're just giving all the nasty microscopic critters a nice warm and moist place to hang out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House