Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 06:23 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,050,477 times

Advertisements

We always have the problem that dish holders / dish strainers are hard to clean or if metal they rust. Does anyone have a suggestion for a dish holder that is easy to clean. There is Amazon but I don’t want to go through a thousand reviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2022, 06:42 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
I dont like to see drainers on a sink but do have a white plastic see thru drip tray that can be put away when not in use. but if your looking for a real dish drainer Best Stainless Steel: Simplehuman Compact Steel Frame Dish Rack. The simplehuman Compact Steel Frame Dish Rack is made of naturally rust-resistant stainless steel with soft-coated steel wire that prevents scratching. Some others https://www.mumsnet.com/swearsby/best-dish-racks

Old 01-18-2022, 06:49 AM

Oh that’s great, thank you.

Old 01-18-2022, 06:57 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,588,476 times
We've switched to drying mats. Much easier to clean, easier to store, and if they get dirty, they are dishwasher safe. They dont hold items upright, but the only time we find that to be an issue is when we host and use non-dishwasher safe china - but we typically hand wash, dry and put right away anyway. A bonus is they are heat safe and can be used as a trivet.

here is what we use - https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 01-18-2022, 07:44 AM

2,336 posts, read 2,563,161 times
I'm happy with this one. We've had it for just over a year and it's holding up really well.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 01-18-2022, 08:29 AM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Do you want a drainer, or a strainer? Strainer to me means the little basket in the sink. Drainer is the wire thing that you set on the drainboard (nowadays you'll almost certainly need the angled tray that goes under it) to drain water off your dishes before you give them a final dry and put them up.

The latter is typically a $10 item ($20 with the tray under it, which you need) at the hardware store.

Since the dishes are clean when you put them on the rack, I'm not really sure what you think you need to clean. I'd just stick it in the dishwasher occasionally if you're worried about it. The tray under it, you just wipe it off. If somehow your clean dishes draining on it make it dirty, wipe it off with a soapy rag and rinse it off.

When these components get all old, bent, cracked, etc., you typically throw them away.

Really, I think we've all spent far too many electrons on the subject already.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:17 PM

3,934 posts, read 2,184,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
We always have the problem that dish holders / dish strainers are hard to clean or if metal they rust. Does anyone have a suggestion for a dish holder that is easy to clean. There is Amazon but I don’t want to go through a thousand reviews.
Get aluminum- cheap or 100% copper- not copper colored - expensive, but antibacterial. Woodis another option.

The “stainless” will rust- it is made cheap and iron migrates through chrome in stainless.
Even vinyl coated would show rust

Another option is all plastic if you don’t mind the look

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Old 01-22-2022, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Get aluminum- cheap or copper - expensive, but antibacterial. Wooden is another option.

The “stainless” will rust- it is made cheap and iron migrates through chrome in stainless.
Even vinyl coated would show rust

Another option is all plastic if you don’t mind the look

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
This is very helpful, thank you! I never thought of aluminum.

@Rabit33 why do you post, if as you say, we’ve wasted too much time for this?

Old 01-22-2022, 01:28 PM

1,465 posts, read 1,081,962 times
The Simple Human dish drainer works well. The only issue I have with it is the design is slightly non-traditional so you have to stack the dishes a little differently. I have not seen it rust in 2 years.

Old 01-22-2022, 03:47 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L00k4ward View Post
Stainless steel is NOT coated with chrome.

Stainless steel will rust in salt water environments. That is why there are marine-grade stainless steels. But, you don't need those in your kitchen.
https://www.commandex.com.au/blog/wh...ss-steel-mesh/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House