Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 05:01 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,154,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Read what the professionals think.
[url]https://editions.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?m=61169&i=736907&p=14&ver=html5[/url]
The link is to the digital version of the magazine, so expect a slow load.
That was an interesting read. I had to look up waterfall countertops. Seems everyone is tired of the gray, white, and black accent color scheme, and I agree.

Old 02-17-2022, 05:09 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,236,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happygrrrl View Post
"Open concept" floorplan. Enormous clocks as wall art...do they even tell the time?
OMG - yes. The BFC (big f'n clock) on the wall. We made it a drinking game for Fixer Upper - anytime we saw a BFC we had to drink. Fun show.

Old 02-17-2022, 06:56 PM

7,626 posts, read 3,271,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Alison View Post
Islands! My friend has a huge island just to have one. And her stove/fridge/sink triangle is crammed into a corner of the kitchen. (She designed the kitchen.) Give me a galley kitchen!
My sister had a house I loved and it had 2 banks of counters with an island in the middle. Awesome! That was kind of a galley kitchen (it opened to a hall with the pantry and had an breakfast nook).

Old 02-17-2022, 08:15 PM

3,377 posts, read 1,974,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Howdy View Post
Drone footage of the property and neighborhood. I'm suppose to think "Wow, look at the fantastic view I'll have from my rooftop deck if my single story house is three hundred feet tall."
That's not the purpose of the drone footage. The aerial view is to give you an understanding of the neighborhood and its surroundings. It's especially helpful if the house you're interested in is near a coveted spot like a beach or a lake. The drone footage will give you a better feel for the area.

Old 02-17-2022, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm not talking about giving the kids rooms with an ensuite bath! I'm talking about rooms that are uncomfortably tight with anything other than one twin bed. We had three kids and three bedrooms, and my daughters had to share a room with twin bunk beds until the oldest entered high school. There was literally no room for anything in their room except the bunk beds and two desks.

Our master is not exactly huge, but it's more than we need. While two people take up more space than one, they actually don't take up twice as much space. At one point we even considered giving the girls our room and taking theirs. They spent a lot more time in their rooms than either of us did, because we were either away at work or working elsewhere in the house most of the time, while they were playing/studying/spending time with friends in their rooms.

Also, not every kid "goes off to college." Some stay home and go to college (like mine), and some don't go to college at all. It just seems like some houses are built with the assumption that every family has exactly two kids, one for each teeny room, and that the family will move to a bigger place as soon as they are out of elementary school.
If the kids' bedrooms are that small they sound more like dormitory rooms. Maybe the house was designed for a just a couple with a good sized master bedroom and the two smaller rooms might have been planned to be an office and a hobby room. It sounds like the total square footage is the problem.

I've seen floor plans like this in 55+ communities. They're actually considered two bedroom houses with a master and a very small guest room and a hobby room/office.

Maybe the two small rooms could be joined to make a larger bedroom and your house might be better suited as a two bedroom house. If there's a wall separating their rooms that might be a solution.

The concept of a master bedroom is about having a marital (old fashioned word but it gets the point across) bedroom for the parents. Parents shouldn't forget that they are a married couple and that relationship needs attention just as much as the kids need attention. Giving the kids the master bedroom pretty much signals that the marriage has low priority. I think it was smart that you decided against doing that.

Old 02-17-2022, 09:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 6,177,234 times
Kitchens with a few open shelves but no cabinets or pantries. I've been browsing real estate online and I've seen quite a few new condos like this. I don't get it. I can see putting dishes on those shelves, but where are you supposed to put your food?

Old 02-17-2022, 10:00 PM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
\
My parents house was built 50 years ago...or nearly 50 years ago...It's not "open concept" in the truest modern sense but its close enough...one can see from the kitchen, over the eating area, into the family room, no doors between them. I really think that kitchens were partitioned off largely because they predate modern HVAC...not wanting to heat the entire house in June while cooking dinner.
Kitchens were partitioned off because they were service rooms, not entertainment rooms. In higher-end homes in much earlier eras, there might have been a spare room off the kitchen for a live-in cook. Guests at a party didn't want to have to watch the caterer doing his/her job. If the hostess was preparing the meal, she didn't want guests to see the nitty-gritty of what went into the meal preparation, especially if she goofed and had to re-do something.

Prior to everything being so casual these days, formal entertaining meant delicious meals appearing from a back room like in a restaurant. The kitchen also was a private family room for casual meals and snacking, while the formal dining room was for guests, and for family dinners.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 02-17-2022 at 10:09 PM..

Old 02-18-2022, 12:04 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
I have to agree with hating the 'words on walls' trend! I laugh every time I see it, not sure what people are thinking when they do that..,I think the other poster had it right though...(they see it on TV) and its instantly a hot trend).

TV/movies have played a HUGE HUGE part in influencing todays style, and also public opinion on lots of different topics, Once you know what to look for, its easy to spot on nearly any TV show or movie...I sometimes wonder if some group is in charge of this, subtle influence campaign thru entertainment...

Last edited by elnina; 02-20-2022 at 09:24 AM.. Reason: Yes, off topic.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:37 AM

8,575 posts, read 12,422,708 times
Excessively large houses on over-sized lots. Poorly constructed as well.

Old 02-18-2022, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Excessively large houses on over-sized lots. Poorly constructed as well.
Large homes on large lots don't bother me. Large homes on small lots bother me a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House