Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2022, 01:08 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,778,556 times

Advertisements

Yesterday it was 86F, and 78F in the house.
Today 70F outside and 72F in the house.
AC set to permanent hold at 72F with cooling mode the whole time.
The AC was installed in December, with new pipes, inside and outside units. Maybe they didn't do it properly and it leaked the refrigerant already. I can't really go in to test it, or measure around with the thermal camera right now, due to tenants being there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2022, 01:13 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Maybe they didn't do it properly ...
Maybe? Odds are that's a foregone conclusion.
The Q's... are about HOW they messed up.
Quote:
I can't really go in to test it...
The testing needed is beyond your capacity.

One more time: How did you choose the contractor you hired?
(if you didn't block your profile we could see the threads were you asked about it all...
and where you likely ignored the good advice offered so now you/we get to do that all over)

Old 02-19-2022, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe? Odds are that's a foregone conclusion.
The Q's... are about HOW they messed up.The testing needed is beyond your capacity.

One more time: How did you choose the contractor you hired?
(if you didn't block your profile we could see the threads were you asked about it all...
and where you likely ignored the good advice offered so now you/we get to do that all over)
My realtor gave the contact.
For testing I would think putting my hand to the register to see if the air coming out is cold or warm, or even using my thermal camera on the registers, walls, outlets, ceilings, doors...

Old 02-19-2022, 01:52 PM

3,933 posts, read 2,196,520 times
Quote:
How many degrees of inside temperature does air sealing of attic gaps improve?
Do a google search “house air sealing” - images.
It will give you some idea what I am talking about and where your losses could be - depending on your home build

On another note - do you happen to have a whole house exhaust fan?

It used to be considered essential- but now considered one of the reasons for inefficiency- it pulls conditioned air (heated or cooled) out through the roof and an unconditioned ( cold or hot air) is being pulled into the house if not air sealed through the cracks and nooks and crannies..

If you have one - remove it and seal the roof or gables- depending on your house type .

Make sure your kneewalls are sealed and insulated if you have any in your house - huge losses

In addition - even your insulation could be insufficient
FL is in construction zone 2 mostly and 1.
Below is insulation requirements

https://www.energystar.gov/campaign/...ation_r_values

You may need to educate yourself before even talking to contractors - or you could be taken for an expensive but useless ride

Old 02-19-2022, 03:25 PM

6,341 posts, read 4,910,674 times
Quote:
For testing I would think putting my hand to the register to see if the air coming out is cold or warm,
No, not your hand, you buy one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Air-Condition...st+Thermometer

And check the temp of the air at the vents.

You're choice as to how much you want to spend but I have found that the $4 meat thermometer works fine, though I have the infrared laser thermometer (first item on the page) since most vents require a ladder.

Keep in mind that if the thermostat is located in a hallway, the hallway may be trapping warm air so it's not going to accurately read the rest of the house.

Other possibility is that you bought the wrong size for the house.

And one more possibility is that your tenants are troublemakers. If you don't nip this in the bud, they will keep coming at you with more trouble.

Old 02-19-2022, 03:37 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
What exactly is it?
You want exactly sight unseen from a web forum? Good luck!

Old 02-19-2022, 04:08 PM

The thermostat is in the livingroom.
I know the temperature in the rental house when i look at my honeywell app on my phone.
Actually today the outside temp dropped a lot, 67 outside and 70F inside, with ac set to 72F. The AC couldn't cool it to 70F when it is set to 72F. I think they must be keeping the windows open while running AC. Its just an assumption.
Today I ordered a thermal camera for $220 that can be attached to a phone, it should show hot and cold spots. That should help with finding what to seal. Next time the tenant moves out in 2 weeks, its short term airbnb.
The attic insulation was 3", I paid for additional 10", that is a R36, I should be okay with that.

Which kind of contractor does the sealing? Is it the AC repair, the insulation company, general contractor, handyman...? Or should i do it myself?

Old 02-19-2022, 04:08 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
What's the humidity inside vs. outside?

Who am I kidding, here.

Never mind.

Old 02-19-2022, 05:04 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,629,860 times
Quote:
See first post... new AC, new attic blow in insulation.
Is the ac working properly? Is it the proper size for the size of the house? Insulation in the walls?

Old 02-19-2022, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Is the ac working properly? Is it the proper size for the size of the house? Insulation in the walls?
2ton for 950sqft, it is the proper size.
i cannot verify wall insulation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House