Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 10:59 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,779,271 times

Advertisements

it is an aibnb, but for longer term tenants, not daily rental.
We contacted the tenant, asking if everything okay, they complained about the ac, we agreed to send a technician. The ac had a freon leak, fixed same day, now 72F stable.
The thermal camera showed 85F areas near the ceiling and wall, but i get the same in my home too, that does not push the room temp above the setpoint.
But we will still put it into the house rules, dont keep the window open if the ac is running, for a potential tenant issue in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2022, 11:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
We contacted the tenant, asking if everything okay, they complained about the ac, we agreed to send a technician. The ac had a freon leak, fixed same day, now 72F stable.
The thermal camera showed 85F areas near the ceiling and wall, but i get the same in my home too, that does not push the room temp above the setpoint.
Maybe it would have been easier to check with the tenant first. You don't want it to be running poorly, the tenant doesn't want it to be running poorly and the contractor doesn't want it to be running poorly. A quick text or two probably could have figured it out quicker than constant monitoring of someone else's space and posting anything here.

Old 02-27-2022, 03:49 AM

7,263 posts, read 5,143,446 times
-haven't read thru this thread; please excuse redundancy--

Home ACs are designed to take ~20*F out of the ambient air, so to speak, ie-- The air coming out at the vent
is usually ~20 deg cooler than the starting temp in the room. ....Measuriing the dif will tell you if the AC itself is working properly....If it is and the room isn't cooling to your expectations, then look for problems with air leaks/insulation, or more likely, unusual sources of heat like big brick walls getting full sun/no shade, etc

Old 02-27-2022, 10:49 AM

3,218 posts, read 2,434,870 times
Quote:
What temperature can you cool a house down to?
In hot weather, especially warmer states like Florida, Texas, Arizona...
Let's say an older (1960's - 1970's) cheaper working class house?

I bought an investment property, in a cheaper neighborhood, built in 1979. Replaced the AC system 2 months ago, inside and outside units, all pipes. Also got additional 10" blow in insulation in the attic. The tenant is trying to get it down to 72F, but its only getting down to 78F, now in February although it was a little warm around 82F outside and sunny.
Well not an older home but I have high ceilings and I can cool the house to what I set it at, heating is another story. I live in Florida and no matter what the month I can cool it to what I set it at. Have the installer come over and check that everything is running as it should and that the tenants are running it correctly (i.e. they don't have windows opened). Also, replace the filters every 3 months.

Edit to add: Saw later reply. Was going to say freon but you said system was new, can't discount anything.

Old 03-05-2022, 09:46 AM

2,441 posts, read 2,527,272 times
Quote:
But we will still put it into the house rules, dont keep the window open if the ac is running, for a potential tenant issue in the future.
How did they fix the leak? Was it a crack in a copper pipe, or something else?

I also thought about freon leak first.
But even without AC the difference between outside and inside temp should be bigger than you have.
With 90 degrees outside, I would have about 78 inside without AC.
Maybe you have zero shade and very inefficient insulation.

Old 03-05-2022, 03:09 PM

2,336 posts, read 2,571,878 times
You could get down to whatever the ambient outdoor temperature is. Just open all the doors and windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House