Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2023, 02:48 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
These use to be fairly common at one time. When the light switch is off, the switch lever has a light red glow that can be seen in the dark. This made finding the light switch easy. While they do still exist, you hardly ever see them installed in homes today. Why?
We had them in the place we bought last year. They went out as part of the total reno. Did not like them at all. I can find a switch just fine without a weird red/orange glow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2023, 10:59 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
They still have Dimmers and Decora style switches with a small LED that shows where it is in the dark.

I installed them in my house. They came in handy

Old 04-18-2023, 11:10 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
I have a huge preference for the rocker light switches and as far as I know, the lighted switches are only available in the toggle switches. That preference for rocker switches might be pretty far spread.

Oops. My bad. A quick google shows that there are lighted rocker switches.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:32 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
I have very bad night vision. DH helped a lot by installing several different lighting solutions.

* A rocker switch with a night light in the water closet. No bright lights when I wake up in the middle of the night.
* Switches that detect movement. The lights go on when I enter the room (also VERY handy when you're carrying things, like a laundry basket into a laundry room with no windows.
* Smart plugs (or bulbs) that go on and off with Alexa commands when motion detectors couldn't be placed in a functional location.
* Wall plugs with night lights in dark hallways.

Old 04-20-2023, 08:46 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,675,380 times
The "traditional" ones used a tiny neon bulb, with a flickering orange glow. They would eventually dim over time. There were ones which glow when the switch is off, and also "pilot" switches which light up to show you the circuit is powered, useful for closet lights so you don't forget and leave the them on.

New lighted switches are almost exclusively built with those painful blue-white LEDs. They should last nigh unto forever, but don't have the character and soft glow of neon. I did put a couple of these in on the 3-way switches for the basement, they both light up when either switch is used to turn off the lights.

Old 04-20-2023, 10:03 PM

17,626 posts, read 17,690,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I have very bad night vision. DH helped a lot by installing several different lighting solutions.

* A rocker switch with a night light in the water closet. No bright lights when I wake up in the middle of the night.
* Switches that detect movement. The lights go on when I enter the room (also VERY handy when you're carrying things, like a laundry basket into a laundry room with no windows.
* Smart plugs (or bulbs) that go on and off with Alexa commands when motion detectors couldn't be placed in a functional location.
* Wall plugs with night lights in dark hallways.
We went an easier route with replacement light switch covers and electrical outlet covers that had built in LED nightlight. Snap Power has the best versions I’ve found so far. They can be adjusted to high or low power and some have a motion switch. The plus for such lights is the LED bulbs are hidden behind the cover plate and shine light downward and extending outward across the floor or counter. If the room is lit then the nightlight turns off. Ideally I would want a motion sensor light switch with a dimmer but that could create other issues like walking into the bathroom and having the lights instantly turn on at full brightness.

I also installed a motion sensor light fixture in our carport. It has a 360 degree sensor so it turns on when stepping outside and when we drive home. Light stays on a minute after there is no motion detected. One negative is high humidity will affect the sensor’s range and sensitivity making it more difficult to trigger the light. We live in south Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House