Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 01:10 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times

Advertisements

These use to be fairly common at one time. When the light switch is off, the switch lever has a light red glow that can be seen in the dark. This made finding the light switch easy. While they do still exist, you hardly ever see them installed in homes today. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2023, 01:33 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
I'm sure lighted switches cost builders more to buy as well as install. The trend may be part of making new homes more energy efficient too. Sure, the amount of energy a single lighted switch might use would be small in the grand scheme of things, but multiplied by dozens of them in who knows how many homes. Why not leave such little customizable extras up to the individual homebuyer?

I do know if my home had them I'd remove them. There are enough annoying blinky lights in modern houses as it is IMHO. Every appliance, all sorts of safety related detectors, electronics, incorporated clocks, etc. I know all my GFCI switches (and they tend to be located in important spots like bathrooms and kitchen) already have a small incorporated amber indicator light. No need for more of the wall plate to light up as well. Also consider that many folks install motion sensor lighting these days. I would only install a lighted switch in one or two essential places that didn't happen to be GFCI protected where a motion sensor might not be wanted.

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-16-2023 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-16-2023, 02:08 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Seems like they were mostly found in bathrooms (at least that is how I remember things).
I think people just sort of switched over (no extra charge for puns) to nightlights to make it easier and safer to get around at night.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:06 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
Seems like they were mostly found in bathrooms (at least that is how I remember things).
I think people just sort of switched over (no extra charge for puns) to nightlights to make it easier and safer to get around at night.
In one previous home they were on the room ceiling light switch for living room and bedrooms. Back then there were no ceiling fans in that home.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:09 PM

3,968 posts, read 8,498,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I'm sure lighted switches cost builders more to buy as well as install. The trend may be part of making new homes more energy efficient too. Sure, the amount of energy a single lighted switch might use would be small in the grand scheme of things, but multiplied by dozens of them in who knows how many homes. Why not leave such little customizable extras up to the individual homebuyer?

I do know if my home had them I'd remove them. There are enough annoying blinky lights in modern houses as it is IMHO. Every appliance, all sorts of safety related detectors, electronics, incorporated clocks, etc. I know all my GFCI switches (and they tend to be located in important spots like bathrooms and kitchen) already have a small incorporated amber indicator light. No need for more of the wall plate to light up as well. Also consider that many folks install motion sensor lighting these days. I would only install a lighted switch in one or two essential places that didn't happen to be GFCI protected where a motion sensor might not be wanted.
I don’t think energy efficiency is too much of a concern. I looked up one at the big orange box store and it takes nearly 28,000 hours to use 1 kWh of electricity. If your rate is 10 cents per kilowatt hour, that’s a long time to use a dimes worth of electricity.

Old 04-16-2023, 03:10 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
with taxes and delivery charges we are almost at .40 cents per kw

Old 04-16-2023, 05:06 PM

1,392 posts, read 1,398,417 times
We remodeled a weekend condo about 5 years ago and put them throughout the house. Wasn’t much more expensive and we thought they would be useful for guests, grands, and even us. We built a new house last year and our electrician told us they were cost prohibitive. ( might have been a covid related supply issue that jacked up the price). We didn’t argue, as we really didn’t see a lot of advantages to the prior lighted switches.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:21 PM

20,099 posts, read 8,998,912 times
lighted switch covers are about $20 a piece, you can put them on yourself in less than 5 minutes. They have a switch to turn them on/off.

Old 04-16-2023, 06:50 PM

3,607 posts, read 7,915,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latunafish View Post
We built a new house last year and our electrician told us they were cost prohibitive.
At the Orange store they start at 6 bucks apiece and go up to 12. Not what I would call prohibitive considering that only a few would be used in one house.

I expect they are drop-in replacements so simple enough for a homeowner to replace (at least after buying an electric tester).

Old 04-16-2023, 07:14 PM

22,148 posts, read 19,198,797 times
i have them in the place i am living now in the bathroom.
i prefer leaving a light on to see to get around at night; or a nightlight.

i never quite saw the point of the lighted switches, didn't seem too functional to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House