Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 09:08 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times

Advertisements

Artificial turf would work.

Or don’t mow but use an electric weed eater. For those who don’t know that’s a whirling wire at the end of a pole, used otherwise for trimming. But for small spaces it’s a good alternative.

A few decades ago a chemical was discovered that slowed grass growth. But even if you could find it today you would still need to use a proper sprayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 12:04 PM

6,904 posts, read 7,608,680 times
Prairie Moon sells Eco-grass, which is a natural slow grower. I seeded my front yard with it last year to see how it did, and it is great! I think I mowed 4 times (in the front yard) last year. It's a nice pretty delicate looking grass, too. Highly recommend. Why put down weird chemicals when you can just plant this nice grass?

https://www.prairiemoon.com/eco-grass

Old 04-24-2023, 12:14 PM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
For a 20 x 30 foot enclosure, you don't need a power mower, just get a push reel mower or use a weed eater.

If you are planning to use gloves and a face mask to handle this chemical, what do you think is going to happen to the earthworms in the ground, the small insects, the birds, the bees nearby, and the entire ecosystem downstream that's going to get your runoff when it rains?

Old 04-24-2023, 06:45 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Prairie Moon sells Eco-grass, which is a natural slow grower. I seeded my front yard with it last year to see how it did, and it is great! I think I mowed 4 times (in the front yard) last year. It's a nice pretty delicate looking grass, too. Highly recommend. Why put down weird chemicals when you can just plant this nice grass?

https://www.prairiemoon.com/eco-grass
As it is my yard is 1/2 grass, 1/2 weeds.

But, are you talking about over seeding -- seeding among what's there. -- OR -- removing the current turf and re-seeding from scratch?

Is the Eco-grass strong enough to over take what's there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
For a 20 x 30 foot enclosure, you don't need a power mower, just get a push reel mower or use a weed eater.

If you are planning to use gloves and a face mask to handle this chemical, what do you think is going to happen to the earthworms in the ground, the small insects, the birds, the bees nearby, and the entire ecosystem downstream that's going to get your runoff when it rains?
I don't know that it will affect them at all. It slows the growth of grass it doesn't kill it.

Look, I don't want to say I don't care about the environment. But it's just not my issue here.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:01 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post

But, are you talking about over seeding -- seeding among what's there. -- OR -- removing the current turf and re-seeding from scratch?

I don't know that it will affect them at all. It slows the growth of grass it doesn't kill it.

Look, I don't want to say I don't care about the environment. But it's just not my issue here.

If you read the link, it tells you how to use it,.

Old 04-25-2023, 05:39 AM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
Quote:

Unless you use a Huge amount of herbicide it will be quickly, naturally degraded in the environment by oxygen, UV light, or bacteria. And today, environmental regulators won’t even let it become a product if it kills off-target species in a detrimental way.

But the instructions need to be read and followed exactly. The gloves etc. are to prevent you getting affected by the solvents in the concentrates, and those evaporate safely once they are sprayed.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:46 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
Quote:

Well, if it's not your issue, then why don't you just pour gasoline all over the whole thing and then put down blue plastic tarps?

I'm glad you're polluting your groundwater and not mine.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:27 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
My "lawn" is mostly scrub-grass and weeds....and both grow like crazy in the summer.

I hit mine with concentrated weed-grass killer........even then, still have to
pull-out the weedwhacker once in a while.

Old 04-26-2023, 08:58 AM

24,590 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:

First - you do not have a yard but a patch of grass behind the house.
Nobody can tell you what will grow and how it will grow without knowing your soil, temperatures, sun/shaqde situation, watering. As spending a few minutes to chopp your grass it is probably not in the stars that you will find out what will grow. As far as seeding goes? Lay turf or get astro turf.

Quote:
That is what the label says.

Quote:
Well, that leaves room to debate.

Old 04-27-2023, 07:55 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,135,583 times
Quote:
Well, if it's not your issue, then why don't you just pour gasoline all over the whole thing and then put down blue plastic tarps?

I'm glad you're polluting your groundwater and not mine.
Really? Just stop it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
First - you do not have a yard but a patch of grass behind the house.

Well we call it a yard here. Because it IS a backyard.
Not everyone has a SFH on a 1/2 acre, or 3, or 5, 50, or 100, OK?

I'd love to know how many people or what percentage of people who are so super anti-yard chemicals -- once or twice a summer -- ironically think nothing of personally ingesting every pill or pharmaceutical that comes along, or put makeup chemicals on their skin and face every day....or eat meat which is supposedly bad for the environment, or drive gasoline using cars which is also bad for the environment.

Last edited by selhars; 04-27-2023 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House