Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2023, 01:02 PM

312 posts, read 830,788 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the messages. It's reassuring that I don't need to hire a remediation company. The information online makes it sound super dangerous having mice droppings/urine around. Probably still smart to minimize the risk. Isn't sweeping more likely to bring things airborne versus vacuuming as much as possible with HEPA filter bag?
My main concern is that I have kids at home.
Thanks
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 01:12 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
I would use a shop vac and open doors and windows for good air flow.

The internet makes us afraid of a lot of things.

It's not healthy to live with mice. We should prevent them from living with us. But environmental contact in barns, garages, and the outdoors, with things mice have touched/peed on, etc is probably not possible.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I’d avoid using any type of poisonous baits, especially if you have dogs/puppies or cats. The last thing you’d want to do is poison a pup. Much more fun to just play with pups!
Thanks. No pets here.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I would use a shop vac and open doors and windows for good air flow.

The internet makes us afraid of a lot of things.

It's not healthy to live with mice. We should prevent them from living with us. But environmental contact in barns, garages, and the outdoors, with things mice have touched/peed on, etc is probably not possible.
It's a garage. For ventilation can have garage gate open. But I will close the inside door that connects with interior of the house so air doesn't get in.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Best way to get rid of mice I've found is rat sized sticky traps. Using those I caught 6 mice in one night and never saw another one.

Don't store seeds, unless they are in a sealed metal container. Seeds are a mouse magnet.
Are the mice alive when you find them, and what you do with them?
Thanks

Old 05-10-2023, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Removing as much stuff and all food/water from the area would be the first place I would start. Then sealing-up entrance-points.

Mix peanut-butter with baking-soda and place a gob in the middle of a bunch of glue-traps. Even if they manage to steal the bait, they die from the baking-soda.

Check the traps daily, you do not want the mice to suffer for too long. If you find a live mouse stuck on a trap, cover its head with something like glue or caulk, they go-out in less than a minute.
If they die from poison, isn't there a risk they die inside the wall and smell badly?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2023, 02:07 PM

14,458 posts, read 12,081,453 times
If they die from poison, the biggest risk is that they will be found and eaten by other animals. Here on the farm we have our own pets, as well as eagles, owls and other varmints I don't want to poison. They're not really big enough to smell bad inside a wall.

I hate sticky traps too, they're fairly brutal, and because i have cats and dogs who could also get stuck on them.

There are bait stations that trap the animal inside. You then just dump the whole thing and don't have to deal with live or dead ghastly things.

By far, the best solution is not trapping or killing, it's just eliminating food so they don't want to be there.

Old 05-10-2023, 03:27 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
Hi all. Went to check if I still had lawn seed in the storage room and found bag ripped with seeds all of the place and lots of mice droppings. I did see one small mouse. A lot of the stuff in the closet is junk anyway and I am happy to get rid of them, but I was also storing things such as camping gear in there.

I need to clear that whole closet and disinfect. Pest remediation companies are quoting an amount that I can't currently afford, and I am not sure it's needed considering the problem is localized to the storage room (4x5 ft). What do you think?

Could I instead hire a junk removal company to haul everything and then I can clean floor and spray walls with bleach/water mixture. Would it be good enough?

The stuff I intend to keep, I can wipe as much as I can with a mix of water/bleach or another non staining product (any recommendations?) Now, some items like a small pressure washer, camping stove, might be difficult to know if every single area got wiped. Maybe I can leave it out in the sun as well?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
How much stuff are we talking about? A closet's worth or an entire large garage attic storage space? Not worth paying someone else to do this IMHO. Sounds like it needs a good sort so you'd need to do that in person anyway.

I'd remove all the contents and spray or wipe down surfaces (walls, floors, etc) with a 10:2 water/bleach solution (10 parts water, 2 parts bleach) and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. There are various low toxicity commercial disinfectants like chlorhexidine readily available but ordinary household bleach will work and the active chlorine will offgas on its own very quickly. Surfaces don't need to be totally dry before being wiped off, in fact better if its still damp so bacteria or molds don't become airborne all over again as you work. Launder soiled fabrics, spray down/wipe off the other stuff, re-pack smaller items in new boxes or plastic storage bins. Cardboard is likely to end up being chewed or soiled again so maybe not the best option. Don't store seed or other potential food in there again. Be aware mice aren't just searching for food...they're also searching for shelter and nesting material, so chewable materials like fabrics will be targets.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2023 at 03:43 PM..

Old 05-10-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
How much stuff are we talking about? A closet's worth or an entire large garage attic storage space? Not worth paying someone else to do this IMHO. Sounds like it needs a good sort so you'd need to do that in person anyway.

I'd remove all the contents and spray or wipe down surfaces (walls, floors, etc) with a 10:2 water/bleach solution (10 parts water, 2 parts bleach) and let it sit for at least 5 minutes. There are various low toxicity commercial disinfectants like chlorhexidine readily available but ordinary household bleach will work and the active chlorine will offgas on its own very quickly. Surfaces don't need to be totally dry before being wiped off, in fact better if its still damp so bacteria or molds don't become airborne all over again as you work. Launder soiled fabrics, spray down/wipe off the other stuff, re-pack smaller items in new boxes or plastic storage bins. Cardboard is likely to end up being chewed or soiled again so maybe not the best option. Don't store seed or other potential food in there again. Be aware mice aren't just searching for food...they're also searching for shelter and nesting material.
It's really inside the closet (4x5) and some spillage right outside the door of the closet. I plan to hire someone to come and take all the junk away. They will likely sweep or vac the area. You think helps if I spray the area with the bleach/water mixture before they start working on it just to minimize risks?

Thanks

Old 05-10-2023, 03:32 PM

23,252 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
If they die from poison, isn't there a risk they die inside the wall and smell badly?

Thanks
YEP!!! BTDT too many times. Poisons also pose secondary risks to non-target animals that happen to come across a dying mouse that makes it to the outdoors: your neighbors' pets, beneficial wildlife including hawks, owls, snakes, mammalian predators...

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2023 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House