Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 11:05 PM

312 posts, read 831,695 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Went to check if I still had lawn seed in the storage room and found bag ripped with seeds all of the place and lots of mice droppings. I did see one small mouse. A lot of the stuff in the closet is junk anyway and I am happy to get rid of them, but I was also storing things such as camping gear in there.

I need to clear that whole closet and disinfect. Pest remediation companies are quoting an amount that I can't currently afford, and I am not sure it's needed considering the problem is localized to the storage room (4x5 ft). What do you think?

Could I instead hire a junk removal company to haul everything and then I can clean floor and spray walls with bleach/water mixture. Would it be good enough?

The stuff I intend to keep, I can wipe as much as I can with a mix of water/bleach or another non staining product (any recommendations?) Now, some items like a small pressure washer, camping stove, might be difficult to know if every single area got wiped. Maybe I can leave it out in the sun as well?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 01:24 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Cheapest way is to eliminate the food source (seed) and then set up a few mouse traps with peanut butter for bait. If you've seen one mouse then there are probably a few more lingering around. Once cleaned up it shouldn't take long to eliminate the nuisance.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:21 AM

15,441 posts, read 7,502,350 times
Best way to get rid of mice I've found is rat sized sticky traps. Using those I caught 6 mice in one night and never saw another one.

Don't store seeds, unless they are in a sealed metal container. Seeds are a mouse magnet.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:32 AM

45,418 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Best way to get rid of mice I've found is rat sized sticky traps. Using those I caught 6 mice in one night and never saw another one.

Don't store seeds, unless they are in a sealed metal container. Seeds are a mouse magnet.
I would pair traps with a few baits.

Old 05-10-2023, 05:57 AM

4,385 posts, read 4,393,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
Hi all. Went to check if I still had lawn seed in the storage room and found bag ripped with seeds all of the place and lots of mice droppings. I did see one small mouse. A lot of the stuff in the closet is junk anyway and I am happy to get rid of them, but I was also storing things such as camping gear in there.

I need to clear that whole closet and disinfect. Pest remediation companies are quoting an amount that I can't currently afford, and I am not sure it's needed considering the problem is localized to the storage room (4x5 ft). What do you think?

Could I instead hire a junk removal company to haul everything and then I can clean floor and spray walls with bleach/water mixture. Would it be good enough?

The stuff I intend to keep, I can wipe as much as I can with a mix of water/bleach or another non staining product (any recommendations?) Now, some items like a small pressure washer, camping stove, might be difficult to know if every single area got wiped. Maybe I can leave it out in the sun as well?

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
not necessary. sweep/vacuum floor, clean cobwebs and you are good to go.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:09 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post

Appreciate your help.

Thanks
Well, that doesn't sound thorough enough. I think you need a flamethrower.

Seriously, it's just some mice. Where there are humans, there will be mice.

Just sweep up the droppings and declare victory. If you have some things like a camping mess kit or such that you might use for your own food, wash them in hot water and dishwashing detergent. You do not need to "...clear that whole closet and disinfect...clean floor and spray walls with bleach/water mixture..."

You're going to need to put some traps. Mice aren't stupid when it comes to food; if there's been food there before, they'll keep checking for it.

Now you know: never leave anything edible in a thin plastic bag where mice can get at it. Everything like that has to go in heavy plastic bins, you know, the Rubbermaid kind from the grocery store.

Old 05-10-2023, 07:30 AM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Removing as much stuff and all food/water from the area would be the first place I would start. Then sealing-up entrance-points.

Mix peanut-butter with baking-soda and place a gob in the middle of a bunch of glue-traps. Even if they manage to steal the bait, they die from the baking-soda.

Check the traps daily, you do not want the mice to suffer for too long. If you find a live mouse stuck on a trap, cover its head with something like glue or caulk, they go-out in less than a minute.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:13 AM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
I’d avoid using any type of poisonous baits, especially if you have dogs/puppies or cats. The last thing you’d want to do is poison a pup. Much more fun to just play with pups!
Attached Thumbnails
Mice droppings in garage storage space-img_2384.jpeg  

Old 05-10-2023, 09:53 AM

11,130 posts, read 9,767,171 times
Most things that are waterproof will be fine with just being hosed off, or washed with a good soap in a tub. Fabrics should be laundered, in hot water if possible. Anything that you use for eating or cooking or sleeping in/on should be thoroughly washed and sanitized, or just disposed of if not washable. Mice and rats generally don't control their urine so it just dribbles out wherever they go, so let that be your inspiration. I don't know how you could need a junk removal company for such a small closet. Just ask a friend with a truck to help you take the junk to the dump. It's less than a pickup load it sounds like.

You can use any type of mousetrap you want. There are plastic ones you just throw away with the dead mouse inside. Others like spring traps can be re-used if you're not squeamish about taking the mouse out and throwing it in the outside trash bin. There are the sticky traps, which are sad to me, because you have to kill the poor thing yourself to put it out of its misery. We even have live traps, and my DH will take the mouse to the woods if we get to it before it dies.

Old 05-10-2023, 10:05 AM

14,492 posts, read 12,128,212 times
I understand not wanting rodent mess in your garage. However, I think some perspective is warranted. I live on a farm in the country. We manage and control rodents, but probably never completely eliminate them. You don't need to haul everything out and bleach the heck out of it, or dispose of it.

Manage the mouse situation by eliminating food and setting out some traps. (Or get a couple cats). Rodents are everywhere. Manage and control their access, try not to freak out if you think they have touched something.... they have probably touched everything.

Vacuum (shop vac) or sweep up the mess of droppings and seeds.

Wash or wipe down things that you think need that, and perhaps put particularly valuable or vulnerable things in mouseproof containers.

Call it good and keep monitoring for new activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House