Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2023, 03:35 PM

23,270 posts, read 18,787,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skubaman View Post
It's really inside the closet (4x5) and some spillage right outside the door of the closet. I plan to hire someone to come and take all the junk away. They will likely sweep or vac the area. You think helps if I spray the area with the bleach/water mixture before they start working on it just to minimize risks?

Thanks
If you spray while all the stuff is still piled in there you won't reach all the potentially contaminated surfaces. You probably won't be minimizing much of the risk. Plus, if the contents are dry with dried poop/urine those hidden contaminants will still become airborne as they move it.

I'd tell them about the mouse residues and let them decide what PPE is appropriate for the workers to wear during the job. Hopefully the company would supply masks, coveralls, gloves or respirators suitable for such work.

IMHO, I wouldn't hire anyone just to clean out a 4'X5' space. I'd sort the pile while wearing rubber gloves and a face mask, then spray down the non-permeables and empty space as described before. Once the junk is moved and sorted, I MIGHT hire someone to haul the disposables away. I wouldn't treat that...just inform the haulers about what may be present.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-10-2023 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2023, 05:44 PM

15,417 posts, read 7,472,574 times
Quote:
Are the mice alive when you find them, and what you do with them?
Thanks
Some are alive, some aren't. I take the trap with the mice on it and toss it in the trash can.

Quote:
If they die from poison, isn't there a risk they die inside the wall and smell badly?

Thanks
The smell goes away after about 5 days. In the townhouse we lived in some time ago, we had squirrels die in the wall of the third floor a couple of times. I just lived with the smell until it went away. It wasn't too bad to deal with for a few days. And now that I have no sense of smell, it wouldn't be a deal at all

Old 05-10-2023, 06:03 PM

7,765 posts, read 3,791,421 times
https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOMCAT-M...1005/300934065

Old 05-10-2023, 10:26 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,338,753 times
I think the idea of a remediation company is a bit much. Even worrying about the limited exposure to your children is unnecessary.

Open the garage door, put on a mask and gloves and clean the space with a broom. Mop the floors and walls with bleach and water. A HEPA vacuum has to be emptied and is likely to create more airborn particles than a broom. Put a few snap traps against the walls.

Stop storing tasty mouse meals like grass seed in bags. Minimally put it in a plastic storage container.

Old 05-11-2023, 07:31 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,369,528 times
I have emptied a Tuff Shed 2 times with the same issue...they love foam turns out!
I blocked any small or big entry points with flashing and don't mess around anymore I place rid in spots.
And a trap...no takers for 2 years now. (Peanut butter with dental floss in it is best.)
Rem to wear a mask...Hanta-virus is real.

I've never had any smell, btw, they dry up way too fast!

Old 05-11-2023, 12:11 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,677,040 times
WalMart sells a hair trigger mouse trap. I bait it with peanut butter. I pick up the mouse by the tail and put the mouse on a fence post outside my office. Hawk goes kee, kee, kee and swoops down for the mouse.

Last edited by Northern Maine Land Man; 05-11-2023 at 12:11 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-11-2023, 01:28 PM

4,940 posts, read 3,047,903 times
Quote:
If they die from poison, isn't there a risk they die inside the wall and smell badly?

Thanks

Yes!, one is in my basement rotting away.
But even poison only works on them here and there, they're smart; and I use gloves to eliminate scent.
The only device I found truly effective(and on every rodent)are the ultrasonic plug-in devices.
They hate the noise, mine makes several; and flashes a strobe light.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:00 PM

6,807 posts, read 14,023,558 times
One brutal winter caused my home to be infested by mouse. I tried everything and found the best thing was the rat size sticky pads. I purchased nine of them and just placed them along my baseboards. I caught all but one in two days. Me on the one survivor played cat and mouse for another two days. While on my computer I had some rustling my small waste basket at the foot of my desk. I covered it with a box and took the whole thing outside and dump it in a bucket of water. I have not had any mouse since then. I still put out the sticky pads because they also work great on roaches. If you have pets make sure you place the pads behind furniture or something pets can't access. it's cheap and effective.

Old 05-12-2023, 07:04 AM

22,658 posts, read 24,581,931 times
Quote:

Thanks
Yes, but mice are usually pretty small, so the smell probably would not be that bad and not last for that long.

I have had mice in snap-traps that have obviously been there for a while and I have not noticed any smell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House