Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2023, 07:06 PM

18,474 posts, read 31,648,692 times

Advertisements

I live in an apartment in the city.
I have a portable washer in my kitchen with a nice fabric cover on it. When I need it, I wheel it over to the sink and snap the hose on. Easy.

I have a clothesline out the window 4 stories up, I chose not to get a dryer.

It is fine for 2 people.

I find it nice and convenient in the kitchen, but obviously it would be better already hooked up in a closet or a space like that....but it isn't...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 12:54 AM

13,286 posts, read 8,460,871 times
Current townhomes in my area are being built with the washer/dryer combos placed in a "pantry" which is in the kitchen region. I can't do that style. For some its a toss in and grab when your done. Seems some folks actually leave their items in the dryer , then "puff it" with a quick ten minute re-dry to get the main wrinkles out when they want to use the item. From a plumbing stand point it makes sense. Same if it has the same "gas" line for the dryer as it does for the kitchen stove.

My grandma had her washer dryer in the garage area...then it was a quick swing out to the back lawn where in summers she hung the laundry. I often thought - how did the pipes not freeze out in the garage area for her to wash the clothes. ? But they didn't! Course her garage could have been used for a bomb shelter! It was so sturdy...We went thru two tornadoes and a notarious flood/hurriane...and it still stood. No damage what so ever.

Old 05-15-2023, 03:11 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
My laundry room is off the kitchen but not in it. My daughter had a place with a front load washer and dryer (side by side) in the kitchen with the counter top running right over them. It was a nice set up.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:55 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
My clothes washer machine was in the kitchen for 22 years in the place I lived (rented) before I bought this house. It hooked up to the kitchen sink. (It wasn't provided, I bought it myself)

Now it's in the "dining room" where the previous owners had a washer/dryer (gas) hook up installed along the back wall.I had a plumber update the connections and close off the gas line there, and I had the dryer removed. But the washer is very conveniently located for me.

My friend's washer and dryer are in her kitchen as well, but in an alcove behind folding doors. That could be done here too I suppose if I really wanted, but I am content with the set up and see no point in spending any money to change it. Having folding doors would just make more work for me.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:08 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
Yes, our 1950 house had the washer and dryer in the kitchen; so did our 1953 house. Our 1970s apartment had a stacked unit in the kitchenette.

I'm not a fan; if a meal conincides with a washer cycle you'll have to stop the machine to be able to hear yourselves talk at the kitchen table, then you have to remember to restart the machine.

Old 05-15-2023, 06:54 AM

4,856 posts, read 3,282,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I have never seen a washer/dryer in the kitchen in the US. Have seen washers in the kitchen in Europe, but dryers are rare and unusual there in any room.

See them quite a bit in older houses with basements that might not have had laundry facilities on the first floor to begin with (or at all).

Old 05-15-2023, 07:34 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I'd love to have my W/D in the kitchen.

Easier to switch loads while I'm cooking and cleaning the kitchen. As noted above, lots of counter space to sort and fold.
I just take my dried laundry items right to the bedroom to the bedroom to sort and fold. My main bedroom is next to the kitchen anyway, so it's quite convenient.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:35 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,439,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Yes, our 1950 house had the washer and dryer in the kitchen; so did our 1953 house. Our 1970s apartment had a stacked unit in the kitchenette.

I'm not a fan; if a meal conincides with a washer cycle you'll have to stop the machine to be able to hear yourselves talk at the kitchen table, then you have to remember to restart the machine.
Well, one can always delay doing the wash until mealtime is over.

Old 05-15-2023, 07:51 AM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
As a young adult I moved to Memphis from a different area of the country and was surprised at how many starter homes from the postwar years were built with the washer and dryer area in the kitchen. It took quite a while for me to become accustomed to seeing them there.

Old 05-15-2023, 09:26 AM

10,908 posts, read 7,397,769 times
Our 1956 house in California had the washer and dryer in the 10' x10' kitchen. For parties, I'd put a tablecloth over them and use them as a serving table.
We sold that house in 2005. It was flipped and resold ten years later; the online mls pix show the washer and dryer still there.

Our next house, built in 2005, had the laundry in a closet opposite the kitchen, practically in the kitchen. We moved them to the carport and turned the cabinet into a pantry.

Our current house, built in 1978, has a teeny laundry room just off the kitchen. Looks like there used to be a door, but now it's open. That door had no place to swing, must have gotten in the way a lot.

It makes economic sense to keep kitchen, laundry, and bathrooms close together, so plumbing runs are shorter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House