Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 06:11 PM

14 posts, read 8,126 times

Advertisements

I get only hard water where I am located. Am in a studio apartment. Also noticed my skin has gotten real bad as well and hair as well. I read that if you buy a a showerhead water filter, it would help with the hard water and also the chlorine and minerals. But is it true, the water still will be hard regardless? That the only way would be a water softener? Is water softener another name for a water filtration osmosois system? If so, I will not do that because I am probably not staying in the apartment for that long.

Does anyone here have recommendations for a showerhead water filter? Want it so I can use clean water to wash my face and my hair. I checked amazon and there are tons of it. The one that cost the most is Aquabliss and that's about $36 plus tax. Then you have other brands like Aquahome group that cost between $20-22. They are either 15 stage or 20 stage. What is the difference here? Then there is another one by the brand BWDM that cost less than $20. Some are 18 stage. Most of these have like 4.3 rating or better.

Has anyone here used any of them? The common negative comment between all is they break easily? Also all of them are made of plastic? Is there anything special about the Aquabliss that make it cost $36 compare to the other ones that cost much less? There are some that cost $25 as well but not as much reviews. Read you are suppose to change the filters every 6 months or so and some come with an extra one. Now are these simple to install or not? I read some you might need a wrench but the expensive Aquabliss you do not? The Aquabliss cost the most but is it worth the extra money for that? The other cheaper ones are not good at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2023, 03:24 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by louischandler View Post
I read that if you buy a a showerhead water filter...
...it will cost less than moving somewhere with better water; the actual solution.

Old 05-16-2023, 07:37 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
I get only hard water where I am located. Am in a studio apartment. Also noticed my skin has gotten real bad as well and hair as well.
Try a different shampoo and body wash.

Old 05-16-2023, 10:32 AM

Okay so which shower head water filter would you recommend then? Amazon has so many of them.

Aquabliss -$36+tax

https://www.amazon.com/AquaBliss-Out...YC/ref=sr_1_1?
keywords=shower+water+filter&qid=1684254390&sr=8-1

Aquahomegroup -$20-$22+tax depending on if 15 stage or 20 stage
https://www.amazon.com/AquaHomeGroup...254390&sr=8-15

BWDM - $17+tax

https://www.amazon.com/15-Stage-Show...4254390&sr=8-6

Are these good? What is the difference between aquabliss and bwdm where it cost almost 2x as much?

Also one thing that is concerning with every single shower water head filter is that people say when you open it up to change the filters months later, there is paint that seem to contaminate the water? They say there are paint particles that is peeling and flaking off. So isn't this a big concern?

Old 05-16-2023, 11:11 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Okay so which shower head water filter would you recommend then?
NONE.
Quote:
So isn't this a big concern?
Not as I see it.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:41 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,670,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
NONE.
Seriously, especially when the Aquabliss makes claims like this:

"Do Shower Filters Help Hair Growth?
Depends on which one you’re buying! Our Revitalizing Shower Filter infuses your water with healthy minerals and vitamins like Zeolite, Vitamin C, Tourmaline & Magnetic Energy beads that help revitalize hair, skin, and nails."

OP simply needs a new shampoo and body wash. Unless he really wants those magnetic energy beads!

Old 05-16-2023, 11:46 AM

The thing is my face has been breaking out for a long time. So the body wash won't help with this.

I am more concerned with the water and face.

Now how is the paint not flaking inside not a concern? When you wash your hands, you don't want to touch paint and the remnants.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:07 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
I bought this one a few years ago, costs way more than any you posted, but much better quality. I was happy enough with it.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquasana-Delu...20the%20market.

I think you would be wasting your money on those cheaper ones, JMO.

Old 05-16-2023, 01:34 PM

Last reviews of it doesn't look that good. Also that is a water softener? Looks real big.

So what about the water shower filters I posted then? Of those few, any of you used them? My big concern here is I read comments that when you go and replace the filter every few months, people say there was paint corroding or peeling inside it... which contaminates it? When it was the expensive $36 aquabliss one... or the cheaper BDWM $17 one, comments like this are in almost every single one of the showerhead filters. The concern here is if that is true, then wouldn't the paint when get in your eyes when you use it? Someone said because all these are made of plastic and not metal, this will happen no matter what?

Old 05-16-2023, 01:52 PM

23,303 posts, read 18,837,889 times
In order to know what water filter of any type might do the best job, you need to analyze the raw stuff coming out of the pipe first. Once you actually know what's in there and at what level, you can shop for and choose a filter best suited to reduce or neutralize it. The amount of filter media crammed into any showerhead filter will be small...so the more stuff you need to filter out, the faster the media in the cartridge will get saturated and be unable to do its job. You could spend an awful lot of $ replacing filter cartridges over a short period of time.

Let's say for example there's a lot of chlorine in your water. It would do no good at all to run it through a filter media that can't neutralize or remove chlorine. Actually, chlorine isn't too difficult to get rid of, but chloramine (what many municipalities now use) is a different beast.

If your water contains a lot of clear water iron, a filter that only removes chlorine won't do a thing. Clear water iron can be difficult to remove.

As for "hardness", that isn't actually addressed by filtration. It requires a chemical ion transfer using something like a water softener system, not a showerhead filter. A water softener is a separate appliance installed somewhere between the water coming into the house's plumbing and the faucets drawing on it. Here's a basic explanation:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/hom...ater-softener/

Before you start buying filters, call your municipal water utility and ask them what is known to exist in your area's source water and what chemicals/filtration processes they apply to it before it gets delivered to customers. They need to record this type of information for public health reasons anyway. Also get your tap water analyzed by an independent testing lab. Do some research to find water testing facilities in your local area. You'll have to pay something for the analysis but it will save you $ down the road...you'll end up flushing less of that down the drain along with the water.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-16-2023 at 02:35 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House