Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 03:41 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times

Advertisements

How long does this ramp need to last?
That would be my first and most important question- from there, we can get to specifics!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 04:07 PM

10,309 posts, read 6,852,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
I live in the Northeast...
My questions are:

1. What would be the best type or 2nd best type of wood to use for the deck and; Best: Apitong. 2nd best: redwood

2. If this was your house would you get an aluminum ramp or a wooden one. Since it's in a "hostile" environment, I'd go with Stainless steel.

My mom is not going to be around forever and I may have the ramp removed when she is no longer with me. Not that I'm young myself. ADA compliant devices are becoming the "norm."

I believe in my state the contractor would need a special permit to build a wooden ramp, not sure if he has one. I will be getting more estimates in the next couple of weeks.

I found this article that states:

Disadvantages of Wood:

1. Generally considered a permanent structure, wood ramps may require plats of survey, building permits, and concrete piers set below the frost line.

2. Even when using pressure-treated lumber, wood ramps will deteriorate and require periodic maintenance. This is especially true of ramps in direct sunlight. Another issue with wood ramps in humid and shady areas is mold / algae buildup that is both unsightly and slippery.

3. Over time, warping, cracking and splintering can occur with wood ramps affecting their appearance and ultimately, their safety.

4. Snow and ice buildup on wood ramps can occur and the use of ice melt on wood ramps may accelerate their deterioration.

Thanks for any advice.
All true things to deal with wood when outside in the elements.

Old 05-29-2023, 05:31 PM

1,200 posts, read 621,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
How long does this ramp need to last?
That would be my first and most important question- from there, we can get to specifics!
The ramp (if I decide to get one) is for my 97 year old mother. She doesn't even like to go outside so I'm thinking of not getting a ramp, instead I'm thinking sloping steps with rails (if and when an ambulance has to come). She isn't in a wheelchair, she uses a rollator walker. The cement steps that are there consist of 3 high steps so the deck wouldn't even be high, more like a porch.

I have no idea how much longer my mother will be alive. She is healthy physically and suffers from dementia.

Had one contractor come so far and I'm having another come this week. Right now I want to find out all my options as well as cost.

I thought I would post here to get ideas of what kind of wood to use for the deck/porch and I think my best bet is to go with composite after some of the posts and doing research.

The cement steps on the side of the house are dangerous since they are starting to crumble so as long as I'm going to have work done I would like a deck/porch.

Old 05-29-2023, 06:52 PM

6,819 posts, read 11,550,944 times
The ADA standard for ramp pitch is 1 foot of ramp for every inch of rise. You may be able to get away with something a little steeper, but you might be surprised how long of a ramp you need.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,074,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
The ramp (if I decide to get one) is for my 97 year old mother. She doesn't even like to go outside so I'm thinking of not getting a ramp, instead I'm thinking sloping steps with rails (if and when an ambulance has to come). She isn't in a wheelchair, she uses a rollator walker. The cement steps that are there consist of 3 high steps so the deck wouldn't even be high, more like a porch.

I have no idea how much longer my mother will be alive. She is healthy physically and suffers from dementia.

Had one contractor come so far and I'm having another come this week. Right now I want to find out all my options as well as cost.

I thought I would post here to get ideas of what kind of wood to use for the deck/porch and I think my best bet is to go with composite after some of the posts and doing research.

The cement steps on the side of the house are dangerous since they are starting to crumble so as long as I'm going to have work done I would like a deck/porch.
This is a very “digested read”…

The suggestion about the aluminum ramp would be my suggestion. It doesn’t need permanent footings, is modular, easy to setup/takedown, resale-able, and/or recyclable. Requires no maintenance other than broom/blow. Snow/ice can be controlled with melt/salt.

Your idea of “sloped stairs” is actually a more dangerous trip hazard than regular stairs.

If you want a deck/porch, and you don’t want to use regular PT decking, I would recommend PVC decking over composite- any day, everyday! Composite is garbage- literally! Read into that.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:15 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_N View Post
If you go the wood route, look into a wood like Ipe, which was used for the Coney Island boardwalk. Very heavy and dense (it sinks in water). You won’t get splinters and no maintenance if you don’t mind a grey color as it weathers.
Which costs a fortune!!

OP, we built a ramp out of PT wood, for my mom in 2015, and she passed away in 2020, at 89. The ramp was still in excellent condition. I sanded and stained it when we built it and it still looked great. Your mom is 97 - I think PT wood will be just fine.

Old 05-30-2023, 08:27 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,800,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Better how?
Wouldn't you need a permit no matter what the material? You do in my area.
Generally not for decks less than 18" above grade....

Old 05-30-2023, 09:06 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,097,097 times
In our town Aluminum (or steel, but most are aluminum) are considered temporary and not subject to building permits. BUT they must be approved designs that are compliant with ADA and other industry standards (weight capacity, slope, railings, etc). I was told by our town zoning administrator (who handles code complaints) that the one that had been complained about had been purchased via medicare as a medical accessibility device.

In our case it came up because a neighbor complained that it was unsightly and 'didn't fit in with the neighborhood'. Because it fell under and ADA provision it was not subject to town review.

Old 05-30-2023, 09:46 AM

8,420 posts, read 7,419,986 times
One more thought...

Some houses in my neighborhood have porch lifts for wheel chair users. You mother might not be in a wheel chair, but she should be able to at least ride a porch lift while standing.

Don't know the price, but it would be a smaller footprint than a ramp.

Old 05-30-2023, 10:15 AM

22,594 posts, read 47,689,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Generally not for decks less than 18" above grade....
He's talking deck AND ramp.
Those need a permit in my area, no matter the material used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House