Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 07:15 AM

1,197 posts, read 617,892 times

Advertisements

I live in the Northeast where we get 6 months of warm weather and 6 months of cold. My house has 3 cement steps (located on the side of the house) which is what everyone uses to get in and out. The cement steps are old and starting to crumble.

Right now I'm in the process of getting estimates. I would like a small deck and a ramp for my 97 year old mom who I take care of. The first contractor said aluminum would be better then wood but I prefer the wood look. He also said that an 8 x 12 deck would fit. I have a detached garage that faces the steps.

My questions are:

1. What would be the best type or 2nd best type of wood to use for the deck and;

2. If this was your house would you get an aluminum ramp or a wooden one.

My mom is not going to be around forever and I may have the ramp removed when she is no longer with me. Not that I'm young myself.

I believe in my state the contractor would need a special permit to build a wooden ramp, not sure if he has one. I will be getting more estimates in the next couple of weeks.

I found this article that states:

Disadvantages of Wood:

1. Generally considered a permanent structure, wood ramps may require plats of survey, building permits, and concrete piers set below the frost line.

2. Even when using pressure-treated lumber, wood ramps will deteriorate and require periodic maintenance. This is especially true of ramps in direct sunlight. Another issue with wood ramps in humid and shady areas is mold / algae buildup that is both unsightly and slippery.

3. Over time, warping, cracking and splintering can occur with wood ramps affecting their appearance and ultimately, their safety.

4. Snow and ice buildup on wood ramps can occur and the use of ice melt on wood ramps may accelerate their deterioration.

Thanks for any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 07:44 AM

22,574 posts, read 47,641,955 times
When I had a wooden deck, it was cedar.
But I much prefer composite.

I have not seen an aluminum ramp on residential properties. Why did he recommend aluminum over wood?

Old 05-28-2023, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
When I had a wooden deck, it was cedar.
But I much prefer composite.

I have not seen an aluminum ramp on residential properties. Why did he recommend aluminum over wood?
When I asked him why aluminum over wood he said aluminum is better. Maybe he just doesn't want to deal with permits? I don't know. My mom is not going to go out in the snow unless it's absolutely necessary.

I really do prefer wood myself.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:15 AM

22,574 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
When I asked him why aluminum over wood he said aluminum is better.
Better how?
Better in what way?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio60 View Post
Maybe he just doesn't want to deal with permits?
Wouldn't you need a permit no matter what the material? You do in my area.

Ultimately you are paying for it... get what you want!

Old 05-28-2023, 10:52 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,407,792 times
I have seen aluminum ramps on private residential properties in my neighborhood.

They appear to be "modular" - you purchase the eight foot runs and the five foot square landings, then attach them together; the longer ramps use a switch-back format and take on a "habitrail" appearance. No footings required, they seem to use a wide aluminum plate for each leg of the ramp/landing. The ramps come with hand rails on both sides, and the walking surfaces have friction treads.

These ramps aren't permanent. I've seen them come and go in my neighborhood where I've lived for the past 30+ years. My guess is that with some shopping around, they can be had second-hand.

I did look into such ramps when my father was still alive and couldn't navigate the steps up into my house. Much more expensive than a DIY wooden ramp, but there's at least resale value when you (or your inheritors) no longer need them.

Old 05-28-2023, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Better how?
Better in what way?

Wouldn't you need a permit no matter what the material? You do in my area.

Ultimately you are paying for it... get what you want!
I believe you are correct, I would need a permit no matter what. I'm getting another estimate this week and if need be, I go for a 3rd estimate.

Also, my Mom is not in a wheelchair, she uses a walker (rollator). The steps we have now are too steep so now I'm thinking steps that are longer and not high. That would eliminate a ramp completely if that makes any sense.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:10 AM

3,217 posts, read 1,603,804 times
If you go the wood route, look into a wood like Ipe, which was used for the Coney Island boardwalk. Very heavy and dense (it sinks in water). You won’t get splinters and no maintenance if you don’t mind a grey color as it weathers.

Old 05-29-2023, 09:05 AM

7,333 posts, read 4,124,944 times
Yes, you'll need a permit with or without a ramp. My town required an architectural drawing of the deck submitted with the permit.

I vote for composite wood. It is more expensive but refinishing wood decking every other year gets old quickly.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:16 AM

Yes, I am definitely going to go with composite wood. I don't want to paint, seal, etc. every year. The less maintenance the better.

Thanks!

Old 05-29-2023, 03:38 PM

17,474 posts, read 66,027,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Yes, you'll need a permit with or without a ramp. My town required…

Wow! Got all that from the OP’s post??? You have no idea where, or what AHJ- stick to “your” town…
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House