Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2023, 11:42 AM

7,519 posts, read 13,631,320 times

Advertisements

This is one reason more folks are installing motion sensor lights, and cameras.

Also, if you vacate the house before closing, your standard homeowner's insurance might not cover any theft or vandalism. And it's an invitation for squatters to move in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2023, 11:55 AM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,414,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Did you report that incident to your agent? He should be made aware of that kind of thing, so he can stop giving out poor advice.
I did but she basically blew me off. She commented that it was probably the new owners looking at the house. We'll I'd never pull into anyone's driveway at 10:10pm even if I was buying their house! I thought her comment was incredibly stupid. I have driven by houses I was buying during the day, but I'd never dream of pulling into the driveway, especially at night!!!

Old 05-29-2023, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
This is one reason more folks are installing motion sensor lights, and cameras.

Also, if you vacate the house before closing, your standard homeowner's insurance might not cover any theft or vandalism. And it's an invitation for squatters to move in.
That's a very good point. I've watched some videos on YouTube about squatters, and it's really scary what they get away with.

Old 05-29-2023, 12:37 PM

102,215 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I did but she basically blew me off. She commented that it was probably the new owners looking at the house. We'll I'd never pull into anyone's driveway at 10:10pm even if I was buying their house! I thought her comment was incredibly stupid. I have driven by houses I was buying during the day, but I'd never dream of pulling into the driveway, especially at night!!!
Who looks at a house after dark, even if their purchase is in process? What can anyone see at night? And if it was the buyers, they'd have known the house was occupied, from when they toured it (and arranged for later inspection) in their purchase process.

Once you've moved and all this is behind you, I wonder if you could post a review of the seller's agency and the agent online, to warn others about this bad advice and cavalier attitude toward your home's security. Yelp would be one review site to start with.

Old 05-29-2023, 02:54 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
My question would be why you're still puzzling your head over something that happened years ago, and how you still remember the exact time some stranger turned into your driveway

Old 05-29-2023, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
My question would be why you're still puzzling your head over something that happened years ago, and how you still remember the exact time some stranger turned into your driveway
Sheesh, maybe because I was curious what others thought.

And when a stranger/s pull into your driveway and you're a woman home alone, you tend to remember the time.

Also, this happened in August 2021 so it wasn't all that long ago.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:13 PM

20,110 posts, read 9,028,155 times
the person could have realized it was a cul-de-sac and chose to turn around in you driveway instead, nobody will ever know, so I'd let it go.

Old 05-29-2023, 04:44 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,115,501 times
The only innocent answer I can come up with is this:

The new owners-to-be had been out at a restaurant/bar with friends and they got talking about the upcoming new house. And wanted to see where it was!!

So maybe the group was collectively driven out there on a lark, just to have a look-see at how close their friend was going to be to them in the near future.

They didn't know you were still in the house since that would have been bad manners.

Old 05-29-2023, 08:49 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
You wouldn't, but some people are incredibly rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Who looks at a house after dark, even if their purchase is in process? What can anyone see at night? And if it was the buyers, they'd have known the house was occupied, from when they toured it (and arranged for later inspection) in their purchase process.
Don't they often give you the advice to check out a potential neighborhood by going at night to see if people have loud parties? So I guess it's possible someone buying it might think they'd go sit in the driveway for a while and see what kind of noise there is on the property? Especially if they thought no one was there.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:02 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,596,358 times
Geez you guys. Nobody thought it might be amorous teenagers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House