Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:26 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
You and others have demonstrated exactly why I was hesitant to post my question sooner. Apparently - even though one of the main purposes of this forum is to get opinions from other people - a simple question seeking such opinions gets snarky "responses" instead.

You are so funny! They are all other people's opinions. You see them as snarky because they are not things you agree with or want to hear. Only the posts that agree with your opinion are legit. So funny!

Could have been anything. Kids, or illicit lovers, looking for a place to make out. Someone looking for a house to break into. Someone lost (GPS is often wrong and will take you strange places), someone turning around. Someone looking to take a nap before continuing a long drive. Could have been evil intent or random, no intent at all. Since it happened a long time ago and no other event followed, no one will ever know.

Last edited by catsmom21; 05-31-2023 at 05:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 06:05 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
I doubt this was the case. My house was located in a very family-oriented subdivision, plus it was a weeknight. I lived there for 11 years and never once heard anyone having a loud party at night. It was the kind of neighborhood where you could hear a pin drop after 9pm.
That may be so, but the new buyers wouldn't have known that and were possibly checking out the neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2023, 06:30 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,240,321 times
I see we're past the suggestions stage and on to the arguing stage, but I'm weighing in anyway.

Maybe they were house-hunting and hoping the the agreement would fall through. They didn't want to accidentally run into someone during the day if they are just looky-loos. Maybe their hospital shift ended and they thought they would swing by for a peek on their drive home.

I wouldn't assume a house under contract would be vacant, unless maybe the pics online showed it unfurnished.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:14 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,413,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Only the posts that agree with your opinion are legit. So funny!
I never said they weren't "legit."

Old 05-31-2023, 02:32 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,088,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
That may be so, but the new buyers wouldn't have known that and were possibly checking out the neighborhood.
An interest in astronomy might have a buyer visiting prospective houses after dark to check out the local lighting situation. Another reason to check is foul odors from nearby ponds or swamps that only present after dark.

Old 06-01-2023, 05:53 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
The bottom line is you'll never know.

Could it have been shady people associated with the realtor?
Yeah -- BUT they'd know the house is occupied. IF they were in cahoots you'd think she'd tell them a time when you wouldn't be home. So that what-if is kind of dumb.

Shady people associated with a contractor or workman? Maybe.

Buyers would know the house is occupied.
Even if they did want to check the house/street out at night only the most rude among them would pull into the driveway -- knowing the house is occupied. And lights off at night doesn't mean the house isn't occupied.

Could have been as innocent as visitors to someone arriving at night...once the light came on realized they were at the wrong house. "Oh, crap. George, this isn't the right house!" ...and they backed out.

Also, could have been a drunk, on the wrong street (cut de sac), or at the wrong house.

Or a pizza delivery person at the wrong house.

Could have been anything....

Old 06-01-2023, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post

Old 06-01-2023, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
I see we're past the suggestions stage and on to the arguing stage, but I'm weighing in anyway.
Ha Ha, unfortunately you're right, it seems like you can't ask a simple question here without it turning into an argument! Thanks for your response!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House