Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2023, 06:22 PM
GPC GPC started this thread

1,308 posts, read 3,411,499 times

Advertisements

This happened a couple of years ago. I'll never know the answer, but I'd like opinions of the situation. We were in the process of selling our house and moving states. Our house was under contract but we were still a few days from closing. It was listed online and it had a "For Sale" sign, with the words "Under Contract" underneath. Anyway, it was a weeknight at 10:10pm. All of the lights were off. I walked into my kitchen and immediately noticed headlights coming down my driveway (my car wasn't in my driveway at the time). I flicked on my kitchen light and the car immediately backed up and drove away. Needless to say, it freaked me out. I called the cops and they did a couple of drivebys during the night. So my question is...what do you think this person (or people, I couldn't make out how many people were in the car) was up to?

Last edited by GPC; 05-28-2023 at 07:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2023, 06:43 PM

22,564 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Someone pulled up to the wrong house?

No way any of us can know…

Old 05-28-2023, 06:48 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
OP, it sounds like you suspect they might have been planning on breaking and entering, thinking the home was vacant. But when they saw the lights go on, they retreated. There's no way for us to know what they had in mind. OTOH, if they'd intended to either rob or vandalize the house, parking in the driveway seems like a dumb move. IDK.

Old 05-28-2023, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it sounds like you suspect they might have been planning on breaking and entering, thinking the home was vacant. But when they saw the lights go on, they retreated. There's no way for us to know what they had in mind. OTOH, if they'd intended to either rob or vandalize the house, parking in the driveway seems like a dumb move. IDK.
Yeah, I do think they were up to no good. I lived on a cul-de-sac and not many people would've noticed a strange car in the driveway. I was in a really quiet subdivision and basically all the neighbors were tucked in their beds by that time anyway. My real estate agent kept encouraging me to move out of the house before closing and I'm glad I didn't!

Old 05-28-2023, 06:59 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times
Tweakers hoping to make a quick score by stripping out copper?

Common with vacant houses when I lived in the Midwest -- no reaction from the house when they come down the driveway, they head straight for the outdoor AC unit to pull the coil.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Someone pulled up to the wrong house?

No way any of us can know…
I doubt it. My house was in a really quiet, family-centered subdivision and basically all of my neighbors were in bed by the time this happened. I can't imagine any of them expecting visitors at that hour. Thanks for your response.

Old 05-28-2023, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
Tweakers hoping to make a quick score by stripping out copper?

Common with vacant houses when I lived in the Midwest -- no reaction from the house when they come down the driveway, they head straight for the outdoor AC unit to pull the coil.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that. We just had a new downstairs unit installed too. I'm glad I ruined their plans!

Old 05-29-2023, 09:00 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Coming how far down your driveway? Are you sure they weren't just turning around?

Old 05-29-2023, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Coming how far down your driveway? Are you sure they weren't just turning around?
They were coming all the way down my driveway. There would be no need to use my driveway to turn around as I lived on a cul-de-sac. Just keep driving and you'd automatically turn around. Sorry, I should've mentioned that my house was on a cul-de-sac.

Old 05-29-2023, 10:27 AM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Yeah, I do think they were up to no good. I lived on a cul-de-sac and not many people would've noticed a strange car in the driveway. I was in a really quiet subdivision and basically all the neighbors were tucked in their beds by that time anyway. My real estate agent kept encouraging me to move out of the house before closing and I'm glad I didn't!
Did you report that incident to your agent? He should be made aware of that kind of thing, so he can stop giving out poor advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House