Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2023, 03:26 AM

3 posts, read 1,881 times

Advertisements

Hey there,

I'm in need of some advice regarding a damaged concrete sidewalk, and I would appreciate your insights and suggestions. Over time, the sidewalk in front of my house has developed cracks and uneven surfaces, posing a safety hazard for pedestrians.

Should I consider a DIY solution or hire a professional contractor for this task? While I have some experience with minor repairs, I want to ensure a thorough and long-lasting fix that meets safety standards.

Are there any maintenance practices or treatments that can help extend the lifespan of the concrete sidewalk and minimize the likelihood of cracks and deterioration?

I look forward to your valuable suggestions and recommendations.

Best Regards,
Melvin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2023, 05:16 AM

6,360 posts, read 4,181,873 times
Sounds like your best option would be to obtain bids from several concrete contractors as well as checking if with the municipality to determine what requirements as far as a permit or bond are required for a replacement or repair.

A concrete contractor should be able to decide if a repair or section removal and replacement is the best option depending on the specific cause of the problem.

Old 06-02-2023, 05:38 AM

7,245 posts, read 7,072,982 times
I would contact your town government regarding the regulations about sidewalks. In my last town, I reported it, they replaced it.

Old 06-02-2023, 07:56 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,409,375 times
Funny you should mention broken sidewalks...

My municipality has had a program over the past several years wherein they engaged a contractor to evaluate and replace broken side walks throughout the city. This year, it's my turn to have some sidewalk replaced. I received a notice in the mail this past week concerning this situation.

On the sidewalk by my house two five by five squares of concrete have lifted at least six inches above the ground, thanks to the large root of a tree that used to be next to the sidewalk (the city removed the offending tree years ago). The cost of the new concrete sections is about $675, and the city will bill me in December, an addendum to my usual winter tax payment. The actual replacement will happen sometime this year before the ground freezes.

The notice that informed me of the situation also allows for me or my own designated contractor to perform the sidewalk replacement, but it would have to be approved and reviewed by the city before the effort was undertaken.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,567 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Hopefully that would be the city's responsibility. If not, there are products in caulk tubes that are a flexible mortar repair, I have used it on the chimney and pathway cracks. It's not really good for more than about a 1/2 wide crack, however, and if the damage is enough to cause tripping, that section may have to be removed and replaced.
The slab jack people can sometimes lift a sunken section back to level.

https://1866slabjack.com/

Old 06-02-2023, 08:10 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I would contact your town government regarding the regulations about sidewalks. In my last town, I reported it, they replaced it.
As a data point, in my primary residence town, sidewalks are homeowners responsibility. They are to be fixed when a house sells (seller's expense). Repairs are not terribly expensive

Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
First, I would address what is actually causing the problem. Concrete can develop cracks due to temperature and moisture changes, but uneven surfaces are usually due to tree roots. If the tree can't be removed, it will continue to cause the concrete to "move".

You don't say where the sidewalk is...if it is adjacent to the street in front of your house, it could be a municipality issue. They will want to repair it to make sure it meets ADA requirements.

If it is actually on your property, you can have a contractor out to give you an estimate for repairs. There are lots of options and it just depends on what works best for you.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:12 AM

6,116 posts, read 12,595,322 times
BTW - I would NOT DIY. I'm sure this is a long shot, but if you (presumably not a contractor) DIY, and someone trips and falls, I won't want that (added) liability. Might be a reach, but still.

Old 06-02-2023, 08:31 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Hi, Melvin. Welcome to the forum.

The answer to your question depends on how big the repair job is, your skill level and how much needed equipment you already have.

A 60 lb bag of concrete from the big box stores only costs ~$4, but it only makes about 1/60th yd of concrete....A 3' x 3' x 4" section of walk will need 9 bags-- ~$40.

You'll need a barrow big enough to mix the stuff, a shovel or hoe for the mixing, a shovel to transfer it and a trowel for finishing..Add in a sledge and pick to lift and crush the old section, and before you know it, you've spent $200 just to replace one small section if you need to buy all that stuff. Additonal sections will cost $40 each + your time and effort.

What made the section break?-- a tree root or poor soil/ poorly prepared bed? You gotta address that too or you'll soon be repeating the job.

Old 06-02-2023, 11:29 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,035,782 times
A few seem to think this is the "public sidewalk"... could be the sidewalk from the driveway to the front door(?).

To what extent, and how much will most likely determine the path of repair. If it's a small 3-5' section- it could most likely be DIY'd. Otherwise, it's probably better to find a concrete contractor to do the work.

As was previously mentioned, it would be good to determine what caused the damage to begin with. Are there trees in close proximity? (roots) Is there a drainage issue? (undermining/erosion) Is there severe grade change? (sink hole) Or, is the damage mostly a cosmetic issue? (harsh weather/ice and chemical)

Knowing where this is also helps- pictures would also help. But since you are a new poster you can't post pictures through the forum- but you can use a third-party image website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House