Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 11:23 AM

43 posts, read 21,566 times

Advertisements

In the suburb I live in I have even seen some homes below 800 sq feet in size!!!

700 something sq feet homes are pretty rare anywhere these days it seems!!!

I wish I could find one...that was in good shape!!

I am still looking and keeping up hope!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 11:26 AM

2,032 posts, read 985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood-brougham View Post
In the suburb I live in I have even seen some homes below 800 sq feet in size!!!

700 something sq feet homes are pretty rare anywhere these days it seems!!!

I wish I could find one...that was in good shape!!

I am still looking and keeping up hope!
Just find a plot and build one. Nobody is stopping you.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:30 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,281,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
In a lot of jurisdictions, they actually do stop you!
I could build one where I live - or any of the towns around here, either.

Old 06-16-2023, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
In a lot of jurisdictions, they actually do stop you!
I could build one where I live - or any of the towns around here, either.
How, exactly, would the ban be specifically related to size?

Old 06-16-2023, 11:36 AM

43 posts, read 21,566 times
Quote:
I prefer older homes with charm and character....I am particularly fond of the vintage green, blue, and pink tiled retro bathrooms found in the homes of the 1950s-early 60s era....

So I hope to find a house from that era that is also in this size range (Under 1000 sq feet)

I was simply curious why it seems that this size range (under 1000 sq feet) is not a widely offered option for new home construction today...as it once was in the 1950s/60s!!

To be clear I am talking about tract home housing developments....I understand that anyone can go custom if they have land out in the country for example!

I think that the concept of a "starter home" needs to be brought back in the field of new home construction!!

Not everyone wants or needs a big home!!

I for one....want a smaller home...as it is less to heat/cool!!!

I have other reasons as well....for my size prefrence....but utility management is certainly one important reason!

Old 06-16-2023, 11:59 AM

17,474 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:

It ain’t that easy! As a matter of fact- it’s damn near impossible! As I mentioned in my previous post, AHJ’s will usually require a minimum sq/ft. Now what that sq/ft is, is totally based on whatever the zoning committee has established for that district/town/city/county.

There is the possibility of a variance… would cost a lot of time AND money. The other option, move to an area that has no permit policy- there you could most likely build whatever you want- regardless of size (maybe)!

It ALL boils down to the almighty dollar! Well, the not so mighty dollar today!!!

Old 06-16-2023, 11:59 AM

14,476 posts, read 12,101,318 times
I think there definitely is the appearance of a movement out there to downsize... The fad of "tiny homes" and "Auxiliary Dwelling Units" formerly known as Mother-in-law apartments are a testament to this. Lots of lip service given to less consumption, less "stuff", less waste. Greener living.

What I find interesting is that the people who might find smaller homes a cute idea seem to forget this when we start looking at actual homes on the market.

I have a hard time trying to show young buyers anything that doesn't have a master bathroom. The starter ranch home many of us grew up in, with one shared bathroom in the hall and no master bath will sit on the market unloved while my millennial and younger clients complain they can't find homes they can afford.

I understand the love of master baths - but should it be a dealbreaker for young couple who doesn't yet have kids, or who have kids who are still small? When I tell them that my hubby and I both grew up in homes with multiple kids and one shared full bathroom, most of these clients look at me like I have two heads.

And I noticed recently that this has even spilled over into the Recreational Vehicle market. We're looking at and comparing motorhomes and fifth-wheels to retire into when we decide we don't want to keep up a big farm any more. We want to downsize and travel for once! But I am surprised to see motorhomes with TWO bathrooms. IMHO, two bathrooms in a 30-foot motorhome that only my hubby and I will be living in, is huge waste of space! An RV should have one good bathroom, we don't need two. But someone must have demanded this.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
It ain’t that easy! As a matter of fact- it’s damn near impossible! As I mentioned in my previous post, AHJ’s will usually require a minimum sq/ft. Now what that sq/ft is, is totally based on whatever the zoning committee has established for that district/town/city/county.

There is the possibility of a variance… would cost a lot of time AND money. The other option, move to an area that has no permit policy- there you could most likely build whatever you want- regardless of size (maybe)!

It ALL boils down to the almighty dollar! Well, the not so mighty dollar today!!!
Somewhere in the big ole' country I bet he could do it. Nobody said it wouldn't have challenges, but it can get done. More than a few places.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:12 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,400,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood-brougham View Post

I was simply curious why it seems that this size range (under 1000 sq feet) is not a widely offered option for new home construction today...as it once was in the 1950s/60s!!

I for one....want a smaller home...as it is less to heat/cool!!!

I have other reasons as well....for my size prefrence....but utility management is certainly one important reason!

The smaller size range home is being built as townhomes/condos/co-ops.

Old 06-16-2023, 12:18 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post

Again, please list where, other than maybe HOAs or PUDs, there are minimum size limits.

I was involved for decades with development and zoning as an elected official and the only size limits I saw imposed by local governments was for maximum size, usually due to environmental reasons (runoff, greenspace, impervious surfaces, etc.) and those were more site specific rather than an actual set number for everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House