Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 02:08 PM

22,595 posts, read 47,689,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
I doubt that.
Between zoning, codes, financing and other restrictions, anything "outside" the box is not going to be built.
Exactly!

Until small houses are demanded, they remain 'outside the box'.
They continue to not be built, Wilt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 03:26 PM

819 posts, read 583,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Just find a plot and build one. Nobody is stopping you.
Sure they are. It's called "zoning". If a person buys a lot with certain types of homes in a neighborhood, you can't just put up what you want and certainly not a "tiny house" without planning permission, etc. A small house could lower property values and we can't have that now, can we? NIMBY.

There are developments here in Oregon and other parts of the west that consist what are called Park Models (they used to be called "mobile homes"). There's one near me and the units are all in the 1,000 square feet range with two/three bedrooms; one/two bathrooms and absolutely gorgeous. Many of these developments are 55-plus communities. They run in the mid-to-upper 200s and there is space rent (not sure how much) but they sure are close to one another. Is this kind of living better than being in an apartment? Different strokes...

Old 06-18-2023, 03:40 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Usually, Cities will place "conditions" on developers. It's these conditions that make the cost skyrocket. Take for example, me. I had 99 conditions placed on me to build a new business in Oceanside, Ca. (This was after I had already spent >$300,000 to satisfy the City Council.) Those 99 conditions would have cost me an add'l $12,000,000. This is just to acquire a permit to build my business. Some of the conditions included grading and paving streets, curbing/sidewalks, a park (that I must pay to maintain) along with 95+ other conditions. Oh, and I'm allowed to operate my business for 5 years, then I must turn it over to the City for their use. These are the kinds of things that make development costs go WAYYYY UP.
Oh, ok. I thought you meant just the permitting/site plan costs. It's standard here, also, for some large business developments (say a strip mall/business park) to have to do road upgrades. A "park" might be incorporated as mandated greenspace/stormwater management but would be contained in the property and certainly wouldn't be open to the public.

Old 06-18-2023, 04:26 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Usually, Cities will place "conditions" on developers. It's these conditions that make the cost skyrocket. Take for example, me. I had 99 conditions placed on me to build a new business in Oceanside, Ca. (This was after I had already spent >$300,000 to satisfy the City Council.) Those 99 conditions would have cost me an add'l $12,000,000. This is just to acquire a permit to build my business. Some of the conditions included grading and paving streets, curbing/sidewalks, a park (that I must pay to maintain) along with 95+ other conditions. Oh, and I'm allowed to operate my business for 5 years, then I must turn it over to the City for their use. These are the kinds of things that make development costs go WAYYYY UP.
Or you can tell them to stuff it, and move to Nevada with your business...

Old 06-18-2023, 05:39 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
My house is a bit less than 1,000 square feet. I had it gutted to the studs over four winters and remodeled to my taste. Most of the ceilings were vaulted. It’s basically a new house with all new systems. Most of it was re-framed. Rewired. New plumbing. Windows & doors. Totally new heat and a mini-split A/C. 13 years later, I’m married and the house is lacking storage space. I’m looking at sneaking in a half bath to eliminate bathroom contention. I’m toying with adding a heated garage with conditioned storage space.

I’d be fine with a 1,200 sf house with a full basement and an attached garage. I owned a townhouse ski condo for 26 years that was 1040 square feet. Sub-1000 is a bit small for two people.

Old 06-19-2023, 07:43 AM

50,379 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood-brougham View Post
Wow!

That is way smaller than even I am looking for! Perhaps one of the smallest houses I have ever seen!

Around me the smallest I size I see is around 700 something sq feet.

Thanks for sharing this-very interesting!
I was surprised at how cute it was inside. I could live there.

Old 06-19-2023, 10:09 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,956,177 times
OP, the country is rife with sub-1000 square foot existing homes, especially in/around the Midwest. Post WWII returning servicemen were looking for affordable starter homes so you'll see a lot built in the late 40s through the mid 50s. https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...d%22%3Anull%7D

Old 06-19-2023, 12:41 PM

2,040 posts, read 4,556,339 times
I live in a 1957 850sf rancher. It has 3 bedrooms and one (original) bath. Luckily, I have an 850sf basement with a full bathroom that was added at a later date.
If I didn't have that basement (for laundry, storage, work bench), that 850sf would be pretty cramped. Three bedrooms crammed into 850sf makes for very small rooms (and closets).

Old 06-19-2023, 01:21 PM

45,425 posts, read 60,608,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjg1963 View Post
I live in a 1957 850sf rancher. It has 3 bedrooms and one (original) bath. Luckily, I have an 850sf basement with a full bathroom that was added at a later date.
If I didn't have that basement (for laundry, storage, work bench), that 850sf would be pretty cramped. Three bedrooms crammed into 850sf makes for very small rooms (and closets).
The basement was what made those smaller houses doable in areas that had them.

Old 06-19-2023, 01:51 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,548,854 times
After my last divorce in '99, I bought a 400+ sq. ft. house on a huge lot for $7000. Super easy to heat. Just left one burner on the gas stove on. Didn't have to worry about the bad stuff killing me. Old houses like that one are drafty enough. lol My step daughter used to tease that she was going to buy me a big box of Miracle-Gro to spray on my house and maybe grow another room. I had one big room, which was kitchen, den and bedroom all rolled into one, then the bathroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House