Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 09:40 AM

43 posts, read 21,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post

Here in north NJ, the only houses in the sub-1200sq ft range were built in the 1930s or earlier.
Same here in Texas only they were still building some new developments that had homes under 1k sq feet into the early 70s....in some areas of my city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2023, 09:45 AM

45,369 posts, read 60,546,019 times
I'd really like to know where all these AHJs (outside of PUDs/HOAs, and even the first is questionable) requiring a minimum square footage are.

The driving factor is land and prep cost. Most developer/builders look for a minimum return of 2 1/2 times of those costs. Take a $50K building lot, add another $40K in infrastructure fees, site plan development and site prep and you get $90K before you lay one block for the foundation.

That gives a house price starting at $225K. Now, the reality is that many people, influenced by whatever, don't want a basic house they want a "statement".

A note: the numbers I used are likely low, where I am a 50X100 building lot off the water is $80K, although it likely already has water/sewer connections. If it doesn't the W/S connection/tap cost is around $25K.

Old 06-16-2023, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
Nobody builds 1000sq ft houses because (generally) the land is too expensive, builders make more money with larger houses and there is higher demand for larger houses.
I Understand all these factors-and it makes sense.....I am still curious though why builders were still building 950 sq feet homes into the early 1970s? (at least in North Texas)

What has changed in the last 50+ years that has made building smaller houses non viable?

Was the land generally cheaper back then?

Surely builders have always cared about making as much money as possible....so....why were they willing to build smaller houses that sold for les $$ 50+ years ago?

I assume their as a higher demand for larger homes today?? Wonder why??

Thanks so much for all your help!

Old 06-16-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
That gives a house price starting at $225K. Now, the reality is that many people, influenced by whatever, don't want a basic house they want a "statement".
Good point.

So basically what your are saying is that back in the day....folks cared less about making a "statement" and were simply happy to have a basic house???

If so....this speaks volumes about our values today (in 2023) vs 50+ years ago-when small houses were still regularly being built....

Old 06-16-2023, 09:54 AM

2,032 posts, read 985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood-brougham View Post
Good point.

So basically what your are saying is that back in the day....folks cared less about making a "statement" and were simply happy to have a basic house???

If so....this speaks volumes about our values today (in 2023) vs 50+ years ago-when small houses were still regularly being built....
So you already have your answer. Kudos!
read this too: https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...es-big/597811/

Old 06-16-2023, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
So you already have your answer.
Not neccesarily....I am just guessing!

Their may be other reasons for this.....

I would like to hear from others who know far more about this subject than I do....such as builders!

Thanks for the link of info!

Old 06-16-2023, 10:06 AM

2,032 posts, read 985,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetwood-brougham View Post
Not neccesarily....I am just guessing!

Their may be other reasons for this.....

I would like to hear from others who know far more about this subject than I do....such as builders!

Thanks for the link of info!
do you like other older things like analogue audio?

Old 06-16-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
do you like other older things like analogue audio?
What do you mean??

Old 06-16-2023, 10:07 AM

4,534 posts, read 2,669,541 times
Those houses built in the late 30s with around 1000 sq. ft. were generally under an FHA program that actually limited houses to a certain maximum size, max. no. of bathrooms, etc., to ensure the houses being supported were affordable. Keep in mind it was the 6th-10th year of the Depression; no one had any money. So they were trying to get SOMETHING moving in housing. These houses were the first ones purchased under the GI Bill when servicemen started returning in '45.

And yes, there were builders in Dallas, at least, but probably in any number of other cities, who were still building subdivisions of small houses (often zero-lot-line) into the 70s and 80s. The two energy crises and the lingering economic malaise of the 70s and early 80s made economical housing - economical to purchase and economical to operate - more fashionable. Since then, of course, bigger-is-better and luxury-to-impress-people-at-all-costs have taken over. I dread seeing what happens if economic conditions of the 30s, or even of the 70s, return - those who've never known any sort of scarcity are likely to have real problems adapting - and I'm one of them, to tell the truth.

Old 06-16-2023, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Those houses built in the late 30s with around 1000 sq. ft. were generally under an FHA program that actually limited houses to a certain maximum size, max. no. of bathrooms, etc., to ensure the houses being supported were affordable. Keep in mind it was the 6th-10th year of the Depression; no one had any money. So they were trying to get SOMETHING moving in housing. These houses were the first ones purchased under the GI Bill when servicemen started returning in '45.

And yes, there were builders in Dallas, at least, but probably in any number of other cities, who were still building subdivisions of small houses (often zero-lot-line) into the 70s and 80s. The two energy crises and the lingering economic malaise of the 70s and early 80s made economical housing - economical to purchase and economical to operate - more fashionable. Since then, of course, bigger-is-better and luxury-to-impress-people-at-all-costs have taken over. I dread seeing what happens if economic conditions of the 30s, or even of the 70s, return - those who've never known any sort of scarcity are likely to have real problems adapting - and I'm one of them, to tell the truth.
Great analysis!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House