Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2023, 05:58 PM

814 posts, read 580,761 times

Advertisements

Okay, we've all read the pros and cons but what about artificial quartz? I've read good things about it.

My counter is black granite which was here when we bought the (brand new at the time) house seventeen years ago. I like it except for the color but it is so durable and looks brand new, don't think it will have to be replaced unless we move and the new owners put in a new kitchen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2023, 07:15 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,960,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
Okay, we've all read the pros and cons but what about artificial quartz? I've read good things about it.

My counter is black granite which was here when we bought the (brand new at the time) house seventeen years ago. I like it except for the color but it is so durable and looks brand new, don't think it will have to be replaced unless we move and the new owners put in a new kitchen.
What the heck is "artificial quartz", in a countertop material?

There is quartzite...and there is quartz.

Old 06-30-2023, 08:59 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,420,386 times
We put quartz in when we did a kitchen remodel 2 years ago and love it. It's pretty much indestructible, despite my kids' best efforts.

Old 07-05-2023, 02:07 PM

294 posts, read 234,962 times
We chose quartzite (fantasy brown) during our kitchen remodel and had it "leathered", a process where it is etched to give a textured surface. We loved it, as did everyone that saw it. Then a year later we moved.
Yes, it does need to be sealed. But we had no issues with it, stains or burns, but I didn't put hot pots on it and I wiped up spills.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:23 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,398,044 times
Personal preference but I like natural stone better than quartz. Even the best quartz you can tell is fake compared to the real thing. There is just no depth like you get with the real thing.

Also, my mom had her 6 month old quartz countertop develop a permanent stain from the heat thrown off by her toaster oven. Now the toaster oven has to live there permanently, which was a disappointment to her as she wanted to permanently place it in a different spot.

I had marble/quartzite countertops in a prior home and they were so gorgeous and cost the same as quartz. Sealing was never an issue. But again, personal preference.

Old 07-12-2023, 12:43 PM

4,511 posts, read 2,656,277 times
None of this stuff, as far as I can tell, is "natural" anyway. It's all some "stuff" in a plastic matrix, except maybe some of the stuff called "granite". So pick whatever's got the colors you like and then behave like civilized people and set that red hot pan on a damn trivet, for crying out loud.

You people who insist on banging iron pots red hot on your countertops as hard as you can and that kind of stuff, just get stainless steel countertops like in commercial kitchens, and be done with it. You'll probably insist on slicing veggies right on the SS too, so lay in a supply of cheap knives.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:00 PM

17,473 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Rebecca, you’ve gone too far!
Cheap knives and trivets are beyond one’s capacity!!!

Old 07-12-2023, 11:53 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,641,589 times
Meh this is why we went butcher block. I can sand it re oil it and be done.

Old 07-16-2023, 06:05 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,109,818 times
I have had quartz in my last three homes and I absolutely LOVE IT and will never have anything else. JMO, but no other countertops are as beautiful and easy care long term. When I first replaced my first (for quartz) kitchen with Silestone I didn't realize I couldn't set hot pans on it but luckily no damage was ever done by the time I found out.

Now I am careful and always use a hot pad or trivet (or even just the stovetop) to set hot pans on. I am also careful about not scratching the surface with anything. Honestly quartz just can't be beat! We just bought a house with quartz that was installed at least 15 years ago and it looks brand new. It is expensive but worth every dime.

Old 07-22-2023, 09:15 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,797,020 times
I like both quartz and granite. The quartz is easy to clean and doesn't require much maintenance. The granite needs to be cleaned and sealed once every year or so to maintain its luster. The granite can withstand higher temperature items placed on it without worry where as the resins in the quartz can be damaged by the heat. The same is true for cutting. Although I don't cut directly on my granite counter, I do have a cutting board the fabricator made from the sink cut out that I use without any issues.

I am getting ready for a remodeling project in a condo. In that application the quartz works better than granite because I am looking for a more uniform design. Quartz gives me considerably more options in this scenario than granite.

I wouldn't hesitate to use either material and let the design needs guide my preference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House