Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2023, 04:30 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I honestly didn't know you could still buy powdered laundry detergent (not that I'm interested)
Still a lot on the market. Tide, Gain, A&H, Ariel, Persil, Cheer, Foca, less known brands, new brands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2023, 04:31 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Powdered detergents form a hard crust in septic tanks.

I no longer use them.
Yep! I've used liquids for years for just that and other reasons (super cold water). Major problem is the plastic waste.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:36 PM

61,740 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I've been seeing ads for Earth Breeze and want to try it in order to get rid of plastic jugs. I don't do lots of laundry, so the price per load won't influence me that much. However, my "cold" water is really cold, probably much colder than many laundry product manufacturers imagine, even in summer. I'd be somewhat concerned about the sheets dissolving well, but if that happens, I'm planning to melt a sheet in a small amount of lukewarm faucet water and pour that into the washer. Essentially a liquid without the jug !
Flakes? One of the greatest
https://www.amazon.com/Jabon-Zote-Bl...ref=mp_s_a_1_3

It's also healthwise better rated than many top brands:
https://www.ewg.org/guides/cleaners/...drySoapFlakes/

Old 07-09-2023, 05:21 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,585,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Have not tried powered but am tempted due to packaging. I try to not buy anything in plastic jugs.

Earth Breeze works great in my top loading HE wash. Sometimes in a cold short wash it does not dissolve, it will cling to the side of the tub. I've been using it a couple years. If they don't get the price down I will try powered.

Is that a sheet? If you have residue you may be using too much. Try half a sheet.

Start the water and drop the sheet in. Let it fill an inch or two before putting in the clothes. This is general laundry instruction, for any type of detergent.

I use Clean People (unscented), fragrance free detergent sheets. (Kenmore top loader HE.) I love it. Never any residue, it dissolves instantly, and the clothes actually smell clean.

I grew up with powdered and ugh, it was always all over our clothes. First thing I did when I moved out on my own was buy liquid detergent. That was a long time ago though, and I've gave up the jug almost 3 years ago.

(I'm still using the All Free and Clear, as a toilet cleanser, until it gets used up )

Old 07-10-2023, 03:23 PM

23,311 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsmom21 View Post
Is that a sheet? If you have residue you may be using too much. Try half a sheet.
Once again, your house water chemistry may play into this. Very hard water tends to require more detergent/soap than soft water to get the same cleaning results. If your house water runs through a softener that can make a noticeable difference.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Once again, your house water chemistry may play into this. Very hard water tends to require more detergent/soap than soft water to get the same cleaning results. If your house water runs through a softener that can make a noticeable difference.

Sure I saw your first post, thanks. I was replying to someone else who mentioned a problem with the laundry detergent sheet sticking to the side.

I have no problems of that sort with my detergent sheets, but I suspect some people aren't using them in the most effective way, which is why I posted what I did about putting the detergent in first (top loader), and that goes for any type of detergent:
Quote:
Start the water and drop the sheet in. Let it fill an inch or two before putting in the clothes. This is general laundry instruction, for any type of detergent.

I use Clean People (unscented), fragrance free detergent sheets. (Kenmore top loader HE.) I love it. Never any residue, it dissolves instantly, and the clothes actually smell clean.

I grew up with powdered and ugh, it was always all over our clothes. First thing I did when I moved out on my own was buy liquid detergent. That was a long time ago though, and I've gave up the jug almost 3 years ago.

Old 07-12-2023, 06:43 AM

19,442 posts, read 27,850,175 times
Just say no.

Old 07-15-2023, 07:53 PM

6,460 posts, read 3,983,103 times
I used to use powdered... I had a small plastic bottle and shook it up with water before adding it to the washer.

Old 07-16-2023, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I used to use powdered... I had a small plastic bottle and shook it up with water before adding it to the washer.

That's clever!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House