Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 07:47 PM

3,071 posts, read 1,994,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
Foil, baking soda, and boiling water remove tarnish from silver. That might work to remove rust, both are oxidation.
Eureka, that's probably it, I'll have to write it down this time. Just bought some foil to give it a go. TY. I'll report back in a couple of days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I can't answer your question. But I'm very glad that you've recovered and are feeling better enough to care about rust stains.
Oh, TY, JK. I still have 6-mos before I'm considered healed... that'll be 2-yrs. Still sore (no pain, though!) & weak, just getting back into walking & very light exercise. Someday soon it will be a distant memory & I'll be back amongst the fun & active folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2023, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Was it oxalic acid or a liquid cleaner with oxalic acid as the active ingredient?
It could be Oxy with tin foil & water... I'll try the baking soda first... I think it was simple. TY, P.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
SOS pads work pretty well

I’ve seen many YouTube video
With coke or Pepsi and baking soda

I’ve got an old cleaver that finds its way in the dishwasher and gets rust spots
… those green scrubbies or steel scrubbies with elbow grease and baking soda .. usually works
I've found with small rust spots on knives, wiping it with olive oil & taking that green scrubby, wetting it, then putting salt on it & scrubbing works with just 2-3 swipes.

I'll keep the baking soda & Coke in mind & check out a vid if I can't find the right tin foil recipe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo101 View Post
Placing baking soda in an aluminium foil pan and add hot water will remove silver tarnish,not sure if it will remove rust,but SOS pad should
I think that's right, TY. I'll give it a try.

Old 07-08-2023, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
For general cleaning of oxidation on smooth metal, Brasso works really well, and it doesn't scratch.

I've never seen that. I'll check it out if nothing DIY works, TY.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Brasso-8...6523/202820651
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Bar Keepers Friend Cookware Cleanser & Polish?
No, but I'm glad you mentioned it... do people mix chemicals together? You know how baking soda with vinegar bubbles up? I've always been afraid to mix OTC chemicals with others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Have you tried CLR cleaner? I believe CLR stands for Calcium, Lime, and Rust.

As WRM20 said, we put stainless steel in the dishwasher all the time with no rusting problem. I suppose it could be your water quality or even the brand of detergent you used, or possibly your stainless steel has a lower chromium content.
Never heard of CLR, but I'll check it out.

Possibly the issue is just cheap kitchenware. After I broke a dozen bones, I knew I'd have 2-yrs of healing ahead of me, so I bought cheap kitchenware & cookware in case it got ruined, cuz I knew I'd only be using the d/w. I've already had to toss a few forks/spoons that either fell apart or got a chip in them, broke a crockpot (again, I just bought the cheapest), broke several cheap Dollar Store glasses.

It's just that now, I don't want to toss them to buy something new. I'll use them until I need something else.

TY for all the replies.

Old 07-09-2023, 08:00 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.Typical.Girl View Post
No, but I'm glad you mentioned it... do people mix chemicals together? You know how baking soda with vinegar bubbles up? I've always been afraid to mix OTC chemicals with others.
TY for all the replies.
"Chemicals" is a vague term. Water is, technically, a chemical. So are baking soda, vinegar, bleach, ammonia, and practically everything else in the kitchen.

Vinegar plus baking soda is impressive; the two good cleaners react, foam up, recombine their components to form a solution of...plain water and table salt. Pretty innocuous, and not very useful.

But if you combine bleach and ammonia, you get a poisonous gas. Dump them both in the toilet, lean in to scrub, and you could die.

So you're probably wise to avoid mixing stuff.

Old 07-09-2023, 10:56 AM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Soak for a bit in ketchup?

Old 07-09-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
"Chemicals" is a vague term. Water is, technically, a chemical. So are baking soda, vinegar, bleach, ammonia, and practically everything else in the kitchen.

Vinegar plus baking soda is impressive; the two good cleaners react, foam up, recombine their components to form a solution of...plain water and table salt. Pretty innocuous, and not very useful.

But if you combine bleach and ammonia, you get a poisonous gas. Dump them both in the toilet, lean in to scrub, and you could die.

So you're probably wise to avoid mixing stuff.
Very interesting. I've never mixed OTC products you purchase in-store (meaning, varying bottles or containers of cleaning products) cuz I have no idea what I'm mixing together... I do like using table salt, water & a rough sponge to scrub pans or cut through grease, like in a stainless-steel kitchen sink. Interesting that combining baking soda/vinegar ends up being the same (although the little volcano eruption is fun to watch)... cheaper to just use a container of table salt for a bit of abrasive scrubbing.

My only other DIY concoction is baking soda-peroxide paste to brush teeth, which a dentist told me he used to brush his teeth. Hopefully, that's a good "concoction".

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
Soak for a bit in ketchup?
Never heard of that & found this on Spruce.com:

"Kitchen utensils, outdoor furniture, and garden tools can develop small rust spots. Apply a thick layer of ketchup and let it sit for 30 minutes. Rub with a soft cloth and rinse well. This solution works best on small spots of rust, not on metal that is covered completely or corroded with rust."

I think the few utensils I need to clean have more rust than what this solution will offer, but if nothing else works, I'll give it a try, since if I can't remove the rust from one implement, in particular, I'll need to discard it. TY.

Old 07-09-2023, 09:20 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
I've used ketchup to clean tarnish off jewelry, corrosion off metal, leftover seasoning and rust from a wok I was given that elbow grease just wasn't taking care of or wouldn't do easily. I've never tried it on a serious rust problem, but that's only because I've not yet come up against one.

Old 07-09-2023, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post
I've used ketchup to clean tarnish off jewelry, corrosion off metal, leftover seasoning and rust from a wok I was given that elbow grease just wasn't taking care of or wouldn't do easily. I've never tried it on a serious rust problem, but that's only because I've not yet come up against one.
Okay, TY! Worth a try.

Old 07-10-2023, 06:58 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Scouring powder and/or steel wool.

Old 07-10-2023, 09:34 AM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times
I forgot the key ingredient:

Elbow grease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House