Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2023, 02:53 PM

11,276 posts, read 19,591,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They keep your cats inside when the window's open.

Of course! The number one primary reason to have them! Except for people who don't open their windows, guess it wouldn't matter.

Speaking of cats, cats is one of the reasons I save not in use screens. My cats are raised to understand that a screen means "go no further". I can use them in any doorway to keep a cat contained, at least for a short time. Some doorways (basement for example) have a screen installed permanently that I simply step over all the time. The cats never even go near that door anymore. Cat. I keep forgetting. Only one now.

I also have one installed in my front door doorway. I never use that door, but I've had to open it now and then, like when the gas company was pounding on the door looking for a gas leak. The screen, set between the wood door and the glass storm door, protects any cat that might try to dash through from getting out. My porch opens onto a very busy street.

I've always used screens this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2023, 02:57 PM

9,144 posts, read 6,196,866 times
When I bought my house in Florida, I insisted that all the windows have screens. I lived in Connecticut, and I loved to open the windows (all with screens) and get air flowing through the house. Especially in the Fall, the air has that first cool crispness. In the Spring, the scent of the early flowers would flood the house when I opened the windows.

Little did I know that in Florida, there is very little fresh air, usually too humid and stale. I open the windows so infrequently that I removed the screens to keep my windows looking cleaner. I never open the lanai slider doors.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:16 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I am having a hard time believe this post is real (the OP) - depends on location maybe?

Old 07-24-2023, 03:18 PM

7,246 posts, read 7,083,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
When I bought my house in Florida, I insisted that all the windows have screens. I lived in Connecticut, and I loved to open the windows (all with screens) and get air flowing through the house. Especially in the Fall, the air has that first cool crispness. In the Spring, the scent of the early flowers would flood the house when I opened the windows.

Little did I know that in Florida, there is very little fresh air, usually too humid and stale. I open the windows so infrequently that I removed the screens to keep my windows looking cleaner. I never open the lanai slider doors.
Interesting.

I love opening my windows in the winter here in florida. Many times, from November to March, maybe even April, I get cool fresh air. Turn on a couple of ceiling fans to move the air about and the house is nice, especially at night.

Granted, I have been here where some winters are not that cool and the humidity doesn't drop enough to do that.

This year we made it to April before having to close up again.

Old 07-24-2023, 03:25 PM

61,743 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I have all windows (17) with screens on...velcro. They are white and keep my windows sparkling clean and dry during the rain. We don't have many insects here at the Baltic coast, and fly nets aren't popular or needed. I think, I am the only one around here with the screens on the windows. Easy to remove and wash as needed.
I have my windows open 24/7 Spring till late Fall and usually at night during the Winter (l like to sleep when it's freezing cold) - no problem with tilt & turn windows.
Other than that, they are almost invisible and I have decorative lace curtains, like everyone else inside on my windows. Drapes are not common and blinds are not installed in residential building.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:50 PM

17,599 posts, read 15,279,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I open my windows and let fresh air in as much as possible. I really don't like A/C and we only turn it on when it's ridiculously hot. In CA, we didn't get many bugs, but here in SC, yes we need good screens.

Wait.. If you're in SC.. When is it NOT ridiculously hot?

I'll admit.. This year was.. Quite mild through June. Usually, we're pushing 90 in early May, though.

As someone else said.. There's usually only about 2 weeks a year where it's warm enough, but not TOO warm, to have windows open.

I agree with you.. I keep windows open as much as possible, but.. It's usually not very possible for very long.

Old 07-24-2023, 04:52 PM

4,192 posts, read 2,514,758 times
They stop diseases carried by insects.

Old 07-24-2023, 06:16 PM

2,055 posts, read 1,665,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
They keep your cats inside when the window's open.

They could also help keep your neighbor's cat outside.

Up here, they mainly keep mosquitoes out of the house.

Old 07-24-2023, 07:27 PM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I am having a hard time believe this post is real (the OP) - depends on location maybe?
Have you ever seen a ghost travel through a window screen? I haven't!

More pragmatically, if you have a mower that throws rocks, the screen prevents the window glass from breaking.

Moving on to the next question - what is the purpose of glass in windows...

Old 07-25-2023, 03:22 AM

17,627 posts, read 17,696,894 times
I live in south Louisiana. At one time homes didn’t have AC. Having screens on the windows allowed natural ventilation air flow without letting in all the mosquitoes and stinging insects. Today’s homes are built to be insulated restricting that natural air flow. It’s not uncommon in some parts to see either a cheap box fan or a fan designed for windows to bring in fresh air from outside and the screens still keep out the insects.

There is a new purpose for window screens in hot climates, Solar Screens. These are a tighter mesh screen used to reduce the heat from the sun. They come in different colors and levels of efficiency. Many don’t like them because of how they make the home look and the difficulty in seeing outside (like watching a bird or squirrels playing for example). They are more affordable than replacing existing windows with insulated windows and, depending on skill level, can be a DIY project for even more cost savings. We installed them on our current and previous home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House