Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 07:12 AM

4,025 posts, read 1,880,794 times

Advertisements

OP must live in a "warm" state. A/C isn't ubiquitous in the northern half of the US - the work around is open windows, screens, and possibly electric fans. Screens keep the bugs out and the cats in.

In winter, we remove the screens, as there is no reason for them, and the ice can damage them - in the "old days" we removed the screens and put in the "storm windows" for the winter - a second pane of glass. Don't see that much anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 07:25 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
I don't understand removing screens in the winter so they don't get damaged - aren't they INSIDE? The glass window is exposed to ice, etc. but a screen isn't.

Old 07-25-2023, 07:28 AM

45,426 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I don't understand removing screens in the winter so they don't get damaged - aren't they INSIDE? The glass window is exposed to ice, etc. but a screen isn't.
Depends on the window. On older houses you may have to take off the screens to install the storm windows, as previously mentioned.

My house, which is over 100 years old, still has the brackets on the exterior frames to do that although the screens and windows were long gone when we bought the house in the 1980's.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:07 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Casement windows that swing out typically have the screens on the inside. Double hung windows have the screens on the outside.

Me, I'd rather have the dirty dusty screens on the outside.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:13 AM

aren't they INSIDE?

Uh, no, the screens are nearly always on the outside. Otherwise - think about it - how would you open the window??

Ok, so the "cranky handle" kind of window - the window itself angles out when it opens - THOSE screens are indeed on the inside.

But 99% of other windows slide vertically up/down, by hand. The window lock is inside. The screen is outside.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:26 AM

2,042 posts, read 997,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
aren't they INSIDE?

Uh, no, the screens are nearly always on the outside. Otherwise - think about it - how would you open the window??

Ok, so the "cranky handle" kind of window - the window itself angles out when it opens - THOSE screens are indeed on the inside.

But 99% of other windows slide vertically up/down, by hand. The window lock is inside. The screen is outside.
There are a lot more than 1% of other styles of windows.

Old 07-25-2023, 08:56 AM

3,127 posts, read 5,057,812 times
Screens are important, especially while you sleep, so that a bat doesn't fly in. Having had a great aunt who died from rabies due to a bat flying into the house I always think of this.

Old 07-25-2023, 09:22 AM

3,711 posts, read 2,702,142 times
Trapping pollen. Keeping bats out. Someone really needs to know about screens?

Old 07-25-2023, 10:21 AM

1,921 posts, read 913,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

More pragmatically, if you have a mower that throws rocks, the screen prevents the window glass from breaking.

The only thing that's going to keep a window from breaking if something hits it, is something like 3M film.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:45 AM

Well - I confess I don't know the percent - but the great majority of US homes are fitted with mainly single- or double-hung windows, and the screen is on the outside. Picture windows don't count, as they don't open. Casement windows (cranky handle) are common...in one room of the house or two, but not ALL the windows. Sliding doors (windows) ALSO have the screen OUTSIDE.

Does a screen stop a lawnmower rock? No. But it stops birds. Tennis balls? Usually. Golf balls? Nope. Most window screens are some distance from the glass, an inch or three, sometimes more. If it doesn't break the screen, it won't hurt the glass, obviously. Can it stop hail? Absolutely. Always? Of course not. Wind plays a role here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House