Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2023, 06:11 PM

130,332 posts, read 12,105,905 times

Advertisements

I like my screens & I have them all year round, I also open the windows alot to let fresh air in, & keep cats in too.

If you ever notice a warning on a screen, the label that says" warning for insect repellant use only, it is because some jerk of a "Dad" threw his toddler through a window, & then sued the screen company for not stopping the child from falling out the window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2023, 12:18 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mic111 View Post
Screens are important, especially while you sleep, so that a bat doesn't fly in. Having had a great aunt who died from rabies due to a bat flying into the house I always think of this.

On HGTV, a wall of slider windows are popular, spending $10k on the 3 piece sliding wall door instead of the regular two panel sliding door. Don't younger people worry about insects or bats as you say? NJ talk radio has been doing the bat topic pretty regularly, so I wonder if bats are a problem in most parts of the state these days. There seems to be no shortage of people calling in about bats in their home during the hour they devote to topics I don't ever remember bats flying in or near homes from when I was a kid in the 70's, but I live in a part of Jersey that was pretty built up unlike where I now live in South Jersey. You can regularly see bats flying around at night

At our old house that we just sold, my garage door was mostly up because everyone smoked in the garage. Every year we got at least one small bird in the garage that I knew about. I'm sure they regularly came in. No bats, even if the garage door was up or partially up at night when my husband was working nights.

Old 07-26-2023, 09:54 AM

4,022 posts, read 1,877,686 times
I guess I should have added - when I said the great majority of homes have hung windows - I meant in the areas where screens are used. 2nd biggest metro area (I'm assuming LA...?) - I think A/C is your friend there, not year round open windows, and probably snow is not too common.

Orig. post that led to window types was the question about if the screens are in or out - and my comment on that is since most windows (WITH SCREENS) are on doublehung or single hung windows, the screen is nearly always out.

For sliding doors with screen in - how do you lock the door? I mean - seems like a complex arrangement - at the very least, I'd have to open the screen - then open the door - then close the screen - to make use of it, no?

For "cranky" windows, be they casement or awning, they are more common in "new" homes (maybe?) but new homes aren't the majority of all homes. Older homes (WITH SCREENS) by far have single or double hung windows.

Sheesh! This was a deep hole for a simple OP question: "Screens are common in cooler areas as AC is NOT common, and bugs are." Very simple.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:10 AM

2,036 posts, read 990,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
I guess I should have added - when I said the great majority of homes have hung windows - I meant in the areas where screens are used. 2nd biggest metro area (I'm assuming LA...?) - I think A/C is your friend there, not year round open windows, and probably snow is not too common.

Orig. post that led to window types was the question about if the screens are in or out - and my comment on that is since most windows (WITH SCREENS) are on doublehung or single hung windows, the screen is nearly always out.

For sliding doors with screen in - how do you lock the door? I mean - seems like a complex arrangement - at the very least, I'd have to open the screen - then open the door - then close the screen - to make use of it, no?

For "cranky" windows, be they casement or awning, they are more common in "new" homes (maybe?) but new homes aren't the majority of all homes. Older homes (WITH SCREENS) by far have single or double hung windows.

Sheesh! This was a deep hole for a simple OP question: "Screens are common in cooler areas as AC is NOT common, and bugs are." Very simple.
It appears to be really important for you to believe in the hung window prevalence, god knows why.

Screens are everywhere out here, on sliders and casements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House