Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2023, 05:16 PM

740 posts, read 457,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
Well, if the garage is attached I’d be quite leery of making it an “ADU”- last thing I want is a “neighbor” on the other side of a wall in what should be a true SFH.

It would probably also not appraise well… or not as it is now.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but the ADU in the garage is for my parents to live in. So, I am okay with that. I am going to soundproof as much as possible. They will have their own entrance and have their own freedom to do whatever they want, yet close enough if they need me.

The backyard will be dethatched from the main house and on its own but to do that I would have to get rid of the swimming pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 02:45 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Parking won't be an issue; I am turning my front yard into a parking space anyway.
If I were your neighbor, this is what I would worry about. Single family neighborhoods have a look to them. They are about community, not monetization.

How much of your front yard are you planning to turn pave over?

Old 07-31-2023, 06:01 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Is paving your front yard even legal? We can't do that here, it's illegal to park on your front yard.

Old 07-31-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
If I were your neighbor, this is what I would worry about. Single family neighborhoods have a look to them. They are about community, not monetization.

How much of your front yard are you planning to turn pave over?
The whole front yard. I was going to do that anyway because I am sick and tired of weed growing every year. My lawn died awhile back due to drought. In California, we don't have large plot of land like other states. It is quite small compared to other homes in other states. As for monetization of my lot, as long as it is done in good taste, I don't think it will be an issue. My city wouldn't encourage it if they didn't want it to be built. In fact, they have cut fees to encourage people to build them. If I decide to build it. My criteria will be a single professional or a married couple who does not want children. I am not interested in bringing in a family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WouldLoveTo View Post
Is paving your front yard even legal? We can't do that here, it's illegal to park on your front yard.

Yes, it is legal in California. California does not require a car to be parked in a garage. In fact, most people in California don't park their cars in garage. Most people use garage as storage spaces.

Last edited by mikefong123; 07-31-2023 at 09:05 AM..

Old 07-31-2023, 09:02 AM

6,341 posts, read 4,912,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
That's a good point.

Subdivisions have recorded deed restrictions that were filed when the subdivision was created. The purpose of a deed restriction is to preserve the homogeneity of the community. Deed restrictions often allow for enforcement by other owners in the subdivision. In other words one can be sued by the next-door neighbor for non-compliance with the restrictions.

The ADU may be legal and the county and city approve it but that doesn't change the deed restrictions. Deed restrictions can only be changed by a vote of the property owners in the subdivision.

The property owner can still be sued and forced to remove the offending structure.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:03 AM

7,361 posts, read 4,146,180 times
My question is what happens when your tenant doesn't pay rent and you have to evict them - is that even possible in our current political climate? My second question is what happens when your tenant has a loud party? What if the tenant's friends block your use of your backyard?

My personal feeling is your home is your private oasis. It needs to be protected. You deserve privacy and quiet. Too much conflict comes from living in close proximately to others - as I know from my NYC apartment days.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:19 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjusterjack View Post
That's a good point.

Subdivisions have recorded deed restrictions that were filed when the subdivision was created. The purpose of a deed restriction is to preserve the homogeneity of the community. Deed restrictions often allow for enforcement by other owners in the subdivision. In other words one can be sued by the next-door neighbor for non-compliance with the restrictions.

The ADU may be legal and the county and city approve it but that doesn't change the deed restrictions. Deed restrictions can only be changed by a vote of the property owners in the subdivision.

The property owner can still be sued and forced to remove the offending structure.

You’re speaking as if the OP is in a HOA-
That has not been established.

And for informational purposes ADU’s are protected by CA law- about the only thing a HOA can do is restrict the exterior elevations (which generally means- use the same materials/style as the main structure/house).

Old 07-31-2023, 09:33 AM

6,590 posts, read 4,982,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post

Yes, it is legal in California. California does not require a car to be parked in a garage. In fact, most people in California don't park their cars in garage. Most people use garage as storage spaces.
We don't have to park in a garage either, we just have to park on pavement. And these days they are a bit specific as to what we can pave over.

I'm on a small lot and my garage is well behind the house. I can park cars all the way down to the sidewalk if I want. But one tire on the front grass and I risk someone complaining.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
My question is what happens when your tenant doesn't pay rent and you have to evict them - is that even possible in our current political climate? My second question is what happens when your tenant has a loud party? What if the tenant's friends block your use of your backyard?

My personal feeling is your home is your private oasis. It needs to be protected. You deserve privacy and quiet. Too much conflict comes from living in close proximately to others - as I know from my NYC apartment days.
I will probably be renting it out to either my sister (single, does not want to be married or my brother, married but wants no children. Both are very stable with their jobs...Plus they are Jehovah's Witnesses so I don't need to worry about loud house parties. They also know to stay away from me when it comes to religion. They both live about 10-15 minutes from me, and both are do not own their own homes. With one of them here, they can also help my parents, who will be living in the garage ADU. There won't be much backyard spaces left once the ADU goes up. And there is no HOA.

Old 07-31-2023, 09:51 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K'ledgeBldr View Post
You’re speaking as if the OP is in a HOA-
That has not been established.

And for informational purposes ADU’s are protected by CA law- about the only thing a HOA can do is restrict the exterior elevations (which generally means- use the same materials/style as the main structure/house).
I'd think we're getting into a legal question here -

If pre-existing deed restrictions require single family occupancy only ( and there are many non-HOA subdivisions that have such restrictions), does California law put in place AFTER said deed restrictions were signed by a property buyer, supersede the purchase/sale contract that incorporated said deed restrictions?

I seem to remember some language like "Congress shall pass no ex post facto law" [yes, I know this would be a state legislature, but still...] so, OP, if I were you I'd confirm what's actually in your deed restrictions and seek legal advice if they conflict with what you want to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House