Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 07:27 PM

5,117 posts, read 6,098,741 times

Advertisements

Off hand are you creating one ADU or two? According to the defiition that is popular in our area (granted East Coast) the garage unit would be an ADU the same as the freestanding one in the backyard. Here it is pretty much limited to one ADU per property zoned as SFHs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 07:47 PM

740 posts, read 457,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Off hand are you creating one ADU or two? According to the defiition that is popular in our area (granted East Coast) the garage unit would be an ADU the same as the freestanding one in the backyard. Here it is pretty much limited to one ADU per property zoned as SFHs.
I am thinking about building two ADU in California. But I am kind of undecided on the second one. Still debating about it. I believe CA allows two ADU

Last edited by mikefong123; 07-31-2023 at 08:04 PM..

Old 08-01-2023, 07:17 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,691,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I am thinking about building two ADU in California. But I am kind of undecided on the second one. Still debating about it. I believe CA allows two ADU
I think you'd better confirm for sure what your state, city, and deed restrictions allow and don't allow, and all the specifics of this. You're not going to be allowed to just build absolutely anything you want.

Old 08-01-2023, 10:29 AM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Let's talk quality and size. Pool removal, proper build up and construction of an individual unit with limited street access for contractors. What size is this supposed to be for 150k? 1BR/shower/street parking.

Where are vehicles for three households and visitors supposed to park?
We can see how adding ADUs at a high rate will spin out of control density, and, by extension, traffic. While the OP says that his family and the garage ADU family only have 1 car each, if he adds the 2nd ADU and rents it to a couple, that might add 2 more cars.
The actual car potential for 3 units in this situation is easily 6 cars and, depending on who rents the main residence, 7-8 cars. Multiply this over many neighborhoods/towns/counties and you will start to see even worse traffic and parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
What about quality of life for either party living on top of each other?
How about the quality of life for the neighbors? Who wants to live next to 3 units of people jammed into property that was built with one unit? Who wants to look at 6-8 cars parked on a paved over front lawn/driveway?

Old 08-01-2023, 10:49 AM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 46H View Post
We can see how adding ADUs at a high rate will spin out of control density, and, by extension, traffic. While the OP says that his family and the garage ADU family only have 1 car each, if he adds the 2nd ADU and rents it to a couple, that might add 2 more cars.
The actual car potential for 3 units in this situation is easily 6 cars and, depending on who rents the main residence, 7-8 cars. Multiply this over many neighborhoods/towns/counties and you will start to see even worse traffic and parking.

How about the quality of life for the neighbors? Who wants to live next to 3 units of people jammed into property that was built with one unit? Who wants to look at 6-8 cars parked on a paved over front lawn/driveway?
In addition to vehicles you can add in the additional load on the water and sewer system, the stormwater system from more impervious surface as well as the electrical grid. I already mentioned the reason for the school impact fee.

Old 08-01-2023, 11:15 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
We can see how adding ADUs at a high rate will spin out of control density, and, by extension, traffic.

The Op is in Cali- people are leaving in droves! Probably won't be a problem. Cali has already lost one seat in the House; will probably loose another next year.

Those "problems" you mentioned... they're in TX and FL now!

Old 08-01-2023, 11:30 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
Quote:

I hear your concerns. My wife and I went out to Culver City CA last summer to buy an antique from a young couple. There is a big push for ADU's- the affordability issue is a main driver. The young couple is renting their grandparents old house- 2 BR 1 bath bungalow. The market cost for that little house? Over $3,000,000. If it weren't for their grandparents accepting a low rent- they couldn't live there.

We're starting to see that now here in Montana. We have more demand than housing. Here in Helena, a small town by most standards, they are beginning to allow this. The median price for a home in Helena is now $529K. In Bozeman it's $1.1M. My kids for all intent and purpose are totally priced out of affordable living in MT. At least in the major markets. Heck I couldn't buy my house in today's market. It's NUTS.

I've had more than one person tell me to convert a portion of my shop to a rental unit. I'd have to upgrade my septic (spendy) and make improvements, but average rents in this town are over $1,500 and most of it is crap.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:04 PM

740 posts, read 457,390 times
UPDATE: Thank you everyone. I deeply appreciate everyone's opinions and input in this process.

I finally got a chance to meet up with the city to confirm and I was told that California does allow two ADU but one of them has to be a Junior ADU up to 500 sq ft and the other can be a full size ADU. Unfortunately, my garage ADU is already consider a full ADU, therefore, I cannot build another one. When I was looking at their paperwork, it looked like I would qualify because my car garage is built within the structure of the house. It wasn't on the side of the house or detached as shown to be consider a full size ADU. Well, now I know the answer. In the future, laws can change but until then it is what it is.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:11 PM
46H

1,652 posts, read 1,402,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
In addition to vehicles you can add in the additional load on the water and sewer system, the stormwater system from more impervious surface as well as the electrical grid. I already mentioned the reason for the school impact fee.
Yes!
Here in NJ impervious surface coverage is a major issue due so much flooding. Many built out towns have no way to increase capacities of delivered services without major construction and schools have no way to expand. When you throw in the actual cost to build, ADUs are going to be available only at top rents. Then there is the need for a car. There is no way to expand the roads and mass transit is a fallacy as most towns in NJ have residential housing and commercial RE with jobs. ADUs will cause some major issues that are being ignored.

Old 08-01-2023, 01:23 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
UPDATE: Thank you everyone. I deeply appreciate everyone's opinions and input in this process.

I finally got a chance to meet up with the city to confirm and I was told that California does allow two ADU but one of them has to be a Junior ADU up to 500 sq ft and the other can be a full size ADU. Unfortunately, my garage ADU is already consider a full ADU, therefore, I cannot build another one. When I was looking at their paperwork, it looked like I would qualify because my car garage is built within the structure of the house. It wasn't on the side of the house or detached as shown to be consider a full size ADU. Well, now I know the answer. In the future, laws can change but until then it is what it is.

My understanding is a jr ADU can be "up to" 500sq/ft- but must be contained "within" the primary residence (what some would call an "in-law suite").
So, if you plan to convert your garage (I'm a bit confused- I seem to remember that was a maybe then it seems you have this already), just convert "up to" 500sq/ft. I've seen some clever adaptations of garages where they left the overhead door in place and created a shallow storage area when the garage door is opened. Generally, enough for garden/yard tools, lawnmower, bikes, kids toys, etc. the rest (or in your case- up to 500sq/ft. becomes the jr ADU.

Then you can build the full size (which I know could be done under a 1k-sq/ft., but something a little more substantial- like right at 1K or maybe 1100. And if you're willing to go 2sty, you can have covered area (think patio with less yard gone) and storage (the storage you lost from your garage). I've seen quite a few incarnations of ADU's that not only benefit the lessee, but also the leesor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House