Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2023, 12:22 PM

17,475 posts, read 66,084,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Experienced landlords have a firm, never compromised rule and that is "never rent to friends or family". Seriously. My best advice here is to never rent to friends or family.

LOL! Oh, how true!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2023, 12:26 PM

118 posts, read 77,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rokuremote View Post
Things are different in California, especially in the cities/burbs. This would probably not look that odd at all, based on what I see in neighborhoods the past 25 years.
Many cities do limit the percentage of pavement in the front based on lot size. It can vary by neighborhood apparently and HOAs of course are more stingent. A fully paved yard generally doesn't look good at all imo. This rule probably originated to keep density lower but now it's part of drought tolerant landscaping and building natural zones for water to absorb rather than runoff.

Old 07-31-2023, 12:51 PM

24,592 posts, read 10,909,474 times
Let's talk quality and size. Pool removal, proper build up and construction of an individual unit with limited street access for contractors. What size is this supposed to be for 150k? 1BR/shower/street parking.

Where are vehicles for three households and visitors supposed to park?

What about quality of life for either party living on top of each other?

Old 07-31-2023, 01:46 PM

740 posts, read 457,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Let's talk quality and size. Pool removal, proper build up and construction of an individual unit with limited street access for contractors. What size is this supposed to be for 150k? 1BR/shower/street parking.

Where are vehicles for three households and visitors supposed to park?

What about quality of life for either party living on top of each other?
As for the backyard ADU, it can range anywhere $150K to $200K. I am thinking that I can pull it off in the $150K-175K range. By being very selective on certain contractors. When I start the garage, I got 5 quotes all range between $110K to $150K and I was told that it was impossible to go any lower. Fortunately, I found a way. After the work is done, I should have the job completed around $70K. $70K is not set in stone but based on the current agreed estimate. Of course, there could be unforeseen events that changes the budget.

I will have enough space to get equipment in and out to demo the pool and start construction in the backyard. Already verified by the current contractor that is currently working on the garage ADU. He says that I have enough space for an ADU up to 800 sq ft. My parents and I have 1 car each. My wife doesn't drive do medical reasons. Once I pave the front yard, which is legal. I will have 3 new spaces available. Plus, I live next to the park on a quiet street. When I use to have gatherings, people would just park their cars at the park.

The main Master Bedroom is located right above the garage ADU. I will be installing soundproof materials throughout the garage ADU, along with two 5/8 sheetrock as the ceiling. As for the backyard ADU it is a stand-alone 1 story, so no issue. The quality of life? It's up to the person, they can choose to live there or not.

Old 07-31-2023, 02:32 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,782,302 times
What are the permit fees for your backyard ADU? Here in Roseville, just up the road from you in Placer County, an ADU was built in my 55+ Del Webb community. The fees were in the neighborhood of $90K+. There was no demolition of the backyard, or a pool, or anything like that. The unit is about the same size as you are planning and will be used for the resident's daughter who will be caregiver to the resident.

For those who are bound to ask the question, or at least ponder it, yes, the HOA did approve the ADU, so while an HOA isn't in the picture for the OP's project, it can be done. One does have to go through the proper procedures and ask permission, not forgiveness.

Not being critical, just curious to see how our two neighboring counties/cities are handling this.

Old 07-31-2023, 03:27 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,402,986 times
You mention a couple times that you'll have to take money out of the stock market to finance this... why? You also mention that you bought your house for 200k and it's worth 600k, why not finance the project with a home equity loan against the main house and use the ADU income to cover the payments? This way your money in the stock market will continue to grow and the ADU will pay its own way.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
You mention a couple times that you'll have to take money out of the stock market to finance this... why? You also mention that you bought your house for 200k and it's worth 600k, why not finance the project with a home equity loan against the main house and use the ADU income to cover the payments? This way your money in the stock market will continue to grow and the ADU will pay its own way.
The HELOC is currently funding the garage renovation into an ADU. And once my parents move in, their rent will pay off the HELOC. The Back yard ADU is where my investments will be required. I am thinking about having 2 ADU vs just one. I am debating whether I should keep my investment where they or take it out to pay for the ADU...It's the old Stock Market vs Real Estate. Who knows, in the end I may just do one ADU instead of two.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by movinon View Post
What are the permit fees for your backyard ADU? Here in Roseville, just up the road from you in Placer County, an ADU was built in my 55+ Del Webb community. The fees were in the neighborhood of $90K+. There was no demolition of the backyard, or a pool, or anything like that. The unit is about the same size as you are planning and will be used for the resident's daughter who will be caregiver to the resident.

For those who are bound to ask the question, or at least ponder it, yes, the HOA did approve the ADU, so while an HOA isn't in the picture for the OP's project, it can be done. One does have to go through the proper procedures and ask permission, not forgiveness.

Not being critical, just curious to see how our two neighboring counties/cities are handling this.
When I was getting permit for my garage ADU, I was told that to encourage people to build ADU, they slashed their fees by $30,000 (assuming my memory is correct, never trust a stroke survivor when it comes to memory). I didn't ask from what original amount was, since I was just doing a garage conversion instead of building from the ground up. I'll need to do a follow up on the city if the fees are different from garage ADU conversion vs. Build from the ground up ADU. When I did my garage conversion, the most expensive part of the fee was paying for the school fees of $3,600. Don't ask me why I have to pay a school fee. I don't know.

Old 07-31-2023, 04:56 PM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
When I was getting permit for my garage ADU, I was told that to encourage people to build ADU, they slashed their fees by $30,000 (assuming my memory is correct, never trust a stroke survivor when it comes to memory). I didn't ask from what original amount was, since I was just doing a garage conversion instead of building from the ground up. I'll need to do a follow up on the city if the fees are different from garage ADU conversion vs. Build from the ground up ADU. When I did my garage conversion, the most expensive part of the fee was paying for the school fees of $3,600. Don't ask me why I have to pay a school fee. I don't know.
Probably an impact fee. Many jurisdictions have them to help defray the costs, typically capital expense, of the kids the unit may feed into the school system.

The County where I am it's just under $13,000 per dwelling unit to be built to cover schools (the bulk of it), roads, parks and solid waste. Dedicated Senior Housing is exempt from the schools portion.

Old 07-31-2023, 05:41 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,782,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
Interesting. I don't know if we have a discount for ADUs. Hmmm.

School fees . . . we, in my 55+ Active Adult community, have to pay school taxes. I know there are parts of the country where communities such as mine are exempt from school taxes. Doesn't do any good to worry about it too much as there isn't anything we can do about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House