Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2023, 06:33 PM

9,114 posts, read 6,160,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
My mother dampened clothes to be ironed by sprinkling water on them, then wrapped them in a towel and put them in the refrigerator.

Same here. Sometimes there was more laundry than food in the fridge. I think that was mom's subtle way of telling me to pull out the ironing board.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2023, 06:47 PM

2,050 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I can't remember the last time I ironed anything - ironing board is covered w/piles of clothes here.
Same here. You actually have an ironing board? I have a little travel iron and only use it when I need to press fabric for sewing. I do it on the kitchen counter.

I had to iron my father's dress shirts at least once a week when I was a kid. Probably repelled me from ironing for life!

Years ago a friend had a baby and I went to visit them. She spent large amounts of time every morning ironing the baby's clothing and blankets that came out of the dryer. Drove me nuts.

The reason I clicked on this thread was because I once spilled candle wax on a favorite jacket. I was about to throw it out when I read a tip online about putting it in the freezer to freeze the wax. Tried that and was able to pick the wax off with my fingers without leaving any stains or damage to the fabric. It was a cotton jacket, so the fabric type might matter.

Old 08-16-2023, 06:53 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,765,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Same here. You actually have an ironing board? I have a little travel iron and only use it when I need to press fabric for sewing. I do it on the kitchen counter.

I had to iron my father's dress shirts at least once a week when I was a kid. Probably repelled me from ironing for life!

Years ago a friend had a baby and I went to visit them. She spent large amounts of time every morning ironing the baby's clothing and blankets that came out of the dryer. Drove me nuts.

The reason I clicked on this thread was because I once spilled candle wax on a favorite jacket. I was about to throw it out when I read a tip online about putting it in the freezer to freeze the wax. Tried that and was able to pick the wax off with my fingers without leaving any stains or damage to the fabric. It was a cotton jacket, so the fabric type might matter.
LOL, I do - in a spare room and it's piled with who knows what all.

I remember visiting a friend though that ironed so many things... not for me.

Old 08-16-2023, 09:13 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
I remember frozen clothes coming in from the clothes line. Some items were hung on an indoor drying rack, but others, like jeans, were put outside. This was in the days of the Maytag wringer washers and no electric dryers.

Old 08-16-2023, 11:52 PM

51,649 posts, read 25,796,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, I was back in the 50s.
In the 50's we had a huge, gray, Amana freezer in our basement.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:18 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,561,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
I can't remember the last time I ironed anything - ironing board is covered w/piles of clothes here.

Me either. I too own an ironing board and an iron. They are both upstairs and neither have been used since I separated from the ex in 1998. I used to iron his dress shirts for work, and at the time I thought I liked doing it.

For myself though, I don't care about wrinkles. never did.

In high school I used to have to iron my clothes dry in the morning before school, if the thing I wanted to wear wasn't dry (after hand washing it the night before).

Ironing was one of the first tasks we were set as kids in our house, at about age 10. Ironing damask table napkins of all things. Once we mastered those, we were given free range at the iron if we wanted it. And like I said, usually it was used to dry clothes to wear to school.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:14 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Refrigerator, not freezer. This was so they didn’t get moldy if you didn’t finish the ironing in one day.

Deep freeze” didn’t really exist back in the day. At least, our freezer was only about big enough for two of those metal ice cube trays.
I guess that depends on what you mean by ''back in the day'. In the mid 60's we had a chest type freezer as did many of our neighbors.

Old 08-17-2023, 06:20 AM

4,384 posts, read 4,382,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I remember frozen clothes coming in from the clothes line. Some items were hung on an indoor drying rack, but others, like jeans, were put outside. This was in the days of the Maytag wringer washers and no electric dryers.
When I was a kid I always wondered how clothes hung outside and then frozen would dry. Then in Chem 101 I learned about sublimation. Ain't science grand?

Old 08-17-2023, 06:47 AM

17,352 posts, read 16,492,563 times
I still have an iron and an ironing board but we very rarely use it. In fact, I don't think that I've ever taught my sons how to iron because the need to do so comes up so infrequently.

We ironed regularly growing up and that includes my father's shirts.

By the time I was with my husband, I was running his dress shirts to the dry cleaners to be laundered, pressed and lightly starched whenever I took my own work clothes in.

Back in the day, I remember my mom spending a good part of each weekend down in the basement ironing and starching my dad's shirts and then ironing her own wash and line dry work clothes.

I often ironed my clothes to wear to school.

Nowadays, everything is wash and wear. We very rarely wear dry clean only. I own very few items that require line drying and/or ironing.

As far as back in the day goes, for me that was early 70's and we definitely had a stand alone freezer in our basement. We never froze any of our clothes, though.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:37 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,141,549 times
If I have something that's wrinkly, my first trick is to put it in the dryer with a damp towel first. If that doesn't get the wrinkles out, then I'll wash it/dry it. If its STILL wrinkly, it's time to iron. I have my iron and ironing board set up in the basement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House