Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2023, 06:50 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Never stuck clothes in the fridge or freezer- but on wash day I would iron and starch all my dress shirts and khakis / non suit pants. I also ironed my military medical whites and dress shirts.

Just starch and water. Sunday late afternoons used to be busy for me.

Thank-God I don't need suits or dress shirts any longer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2023, 07:06 PM

31,890 posts, read 26,926,466 times
Large chest or upright deep freezers did not hit American market until post WWII. About 1955 IIRC. Technology had been invented by early 1940's but with so many other appliances full roll out was delayed by war time production and other issues.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refrigerator#Freezer

History of Fridges - Who Invented the Freezer?.

Other problem was what were people going to put into those large freezers that made them worth bothering. Long term freezing of food requires proper wrapping and until Saran wrap and aluminum foil came along (both post WWII), best that could be had was waxed or "freezer" paper.

Post WWII to move freezers appliance dealers and manufacturers came up with "freezer plans". You bought a new fridge or freezer and also signed up for a delivery plan that at regular intervals brought food to put in one or both. Department stores along with independent dealers all offered such plans.

Probably most famous television show episode revolving around deep freezer was "I Love Lucy" where Mrs. Ricardo buys not just a deep freezer but *two* sides of beef to put in the thing.

https://ilovelucyandricky.fandom.com/wiki/The_Freezer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PGlXuPLwfhI

Old 08-20-2023, 01:29 AM

10,888 posts, read 7,370,074 times
My mom used to sprinkle and freeze dad's shirts and hankies.
But only whites, because freezing bleaches fabric.

We had a mangle to iron pillowcases and other flat items, but used a regular iron on shirts and such.

I have two irons and two ironing boards, one big and one small of each. I use them when I sew, but once a garment is finished, it never gets ironed again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House