Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2023, 07:51 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
If I have something that's wrinkly, my first trick is to put it in the dryer with a damp towel first. If that doesn't get the wrinkles out, then I'll wash it/dry it. If its STILL wrinkly, it's time to iron. I have my iron and ironing board set up in the basement.
That's a good idea. I have the old style ironing board closet just outside my kitchen, where I have a stacked w/d unit for my usual clothing. That way if I have to iron anything I just drop the ironing board down and go to it. I only use the big w/d dryer set in the basement for heavy quilts and bedding (I hate the stairs!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 09:16 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,838,210 times
Ironing? What's ironing?

Old 08-17-2023, 09:22 AM

36,420 posts, read 16,030,417 times
Lol, my Mom would sprinkle shirts with water and roll them up, don't remember the refrigerator though. Dad's jeans were dried on a wire rack so the seam would be perfect. I learned to iron with Dad's hankies and folding them correctly. LOL.

I still iron, some cotton shirts that don't get the wrinkles completely out and look better pressed. I hang dry some things that may or may not need ironing. But yes, the ironing board and iron are in the office. Ugh.

Old 08-17-2023, 11:34 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,433,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
Lol, my Mom would sprinkle shirts with water and roll them up, don't remember the refrigerator though. Dad's jeans were dried on a wire rack so the seam would be perfect. I learned to iron with Dad's hankies and folding them correctly. LOL.

I still iron, some cotton shirts that don't get the wrinkles completely out and look better pressed. I hang dry some things that may or may not need ironing. But yes, the ironing board and iron are in the office. Ugh.
Oh gosh, ironing my Dad's hankies brings back memories. I was sorry when I became proficient enough (according to my Mom) to iron his shirts, because I hated doing the collars and buttonholes. I got even by hanging his jockstraps at the far end of the clothesline nearest to the alley, right in plain view.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:01 PM

6,868 posts, read 4,866,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Oh, I was back in the 50s.
The first freezers appeared during the 1940s, then known as deep freeze but did not go into mass production until after the World War II. Refrigerators advanced in time and automatic defrosting and automatic ice making appeared in 1950s and 1960s. In the 1970s and 1980s refrigerators became more efficient.

We had a freezer as long as I can remember, and I am no spring chicken.

Old 08-17-2023, 09:04 PM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
If I have something that's wrinkly, my first trick is to put it in the dryer with a damp towel first. If that doesn't get the wrinkles out, then I'll wash it/dry it. If its STILL wrinkly, it's time to iron. I have my iron and ironing board set up in the basement.
I've never done that. If something is just lightly rumpled looking, I'll put in on a hanger and let it hang in the bathroom while I take a shower. This works best for knits, though.

Owning a fair amount of cotton and linen blouses, dresses, and skirts means that ironing is a necessity. Line drying definitely cuts down on the ironing time, though.

Old 08-18-2023, 02:21 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
Oh gosh, ironing my Dad's hankies brings back memories. I was sorry when I became proficient enough (according to my Mom) to iron his shirts, because I hated doing the collars and buttonholes. I got even by hanging his jockstraps at the far end of the clothesline nearest to the alley, right in plain view.
Ohh my!!! That had me laughing! My uncle took his mom's ( my grandmas' ) bra to school and on the day he was in charge of raising the flag, up went her bra too!!

I absolutely LOVE to iron, bring it!! The problem all these years later is I can no longer stand and lean so much. Ditto to the person that mentioned the pepsi bottle with the little sprinkler cap. Never froze our laundry, the downstairs basement had a laundry line in the winter- that was plenty chilled down there ...Back then basements weren't heated unless the coal was cranking ...

Old 08-18-2023, 04:10 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,576,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I've never done that. If something is just lightly rumpled looking, I'll put in on a hanger and let it hang in the bathroom while I take a shower. This works best for knits, though.

Owning a fair amount of cotton and linen blouses, dresses, and skirts means that ironing is a necessity. Line drying definitely cuts down on the ironing time, though.

Not for everyone. I don't care if I'm wrinkled and I don't own a dryer (though I know lots of people who use the dryer for a quick spin in lieu of ironing).

All my life, everything is hung up wet and air dried. Most of the wrinkles fall out of the blouses and knit things, but let's face it a cotton blouse is wrinkled as soon as you put it on, so I see no point in ironing it.

I work with someone who irons sheets and nightgowns, it must pain her to see me so wrinkled all the time lol.

Old 08-18-2023, 11:32 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,934,927 times
I am also an ironing lover! I love the smell, the sound and most of all, the look of all those crisp shirts when I'm done! I iron sheets (only the top sheet), pillow cases and even linen dish towels.

And yes, like the other ironers here, my Dad's hankies were my gateway ironing!

Old 08-19-2023, 06:49 PM

31,910 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
My mom definitely put them in the freezer! We had a deep freezer in the garage (this was the 1970s) and that is where the shirts went. I always enjoyed breaking them off of each other for her to iron.

This is probably where my love of ironing got started!
Freezer or fridge it didn't really matter. Goal was to keep laundry, especially if it had been starched, from growing moldy before it could be ironed. Former meant more work as things had to thaw out before could be unfolded to properly iron.

Either way ironing "cold" laundry was a sure fire what to run up electric bill because iron had to work harder to reach and maintain set temperature. Probably contributed to more than a few irons dying before their time as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House