Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2023, 09:05 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
…you would think that the gas company would supply them.

Why?

If you think you should have one in “your” house- then “you” should go buy one! Why look for a handout!? If you think your life- and the life of others- is in possible peril, it’s up to YOU to make it SAFE!

Take some responsibility upon yourself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2023, 09:24 AM

6,356 posts, read 4,175,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadrat View Post
Why is that every camper sold has a gas detector, but many homes do not?
you would think that the gas company would supply them.

https://www.amazon.com/Nighthawk-Mon...49399686&psc=1
Every house that uses gas or an oil burner should have carbon monoxide detectors on all levels the house.
They are just as important as smoke alarms, it’s required by code and is the homeowner’s responsibility to have and maintain them.

Old 08-18-2023, 09:37 AM

10,830 posts, read 4,506,581 times
*nearby resident here

This is curious as to HOW it blew up. I have seen many many things that blew to methane, and while the structure can most certainly be blown apart, chunks of wood, bricks, stuffed animals etc, you dont typically see a still consuming fireball. You tend to see those with fuel fires where the long chain molecules are not done oxidizing. Methane, oxidizes immediately with heat and a flash, but the fireball is done pretty quickly.

A ring camera caught this explosion and it looked like a fuel depot with dark smoke indicating heavy hydrocarbons or ??? were there secondaries involved? AND the explosion caused others to explode. I can see a row of tightly parked, fueled B24s, but houses?

Curious. Both my homes are fully gas so I sorta take this seriously.

Old 08-18-2023, 10:01 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,010,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Every house that uses gas or an oil burner should have carbon monoxide detectors on all levels the house.
They are just as important as smoke alarms, it’s required by code and is the homeowner’s responsibility to have and maintain them.

He’s referring to “gas sniffers”-
I have two on my boat-
They are regulated items on boats, campers, etc.- there’s enough regulation as it is; I’ll leave it at that!

Old 08-18-2023, 11:43 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,929,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
*nearby resident here
This is curious as to HOW it blew up.
Some context wrt a 2020 Incident:
https://www.baltimoresun.com/marylan...4t4-story.html
The Baltimore forum here had a thread or two with further reporting (and conjecture).
tl;dr? Inept 'technicians'

Old 08-18-2023, 11:58 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
*nearby resident here

This is curious as to HOW it blew up. I have seen many many things that blew to methane, and while the structure can most certainly be blown apart, chunks of wood, bricks, stuffed animals etc, you dont typically see a still consuming fireball. You tend to see those with fuel fires where the long chain molecules are not done oxidizing. Methane, oxidizes immediately with heat and a flash, but the fireball is done pretty quickly.

A ring camera caught this explosion and it looked like a fuel depot with dark smoke indicating heavy hydrocarbons or ??? were there secondaries involved? AND the explosion caused others to explode. I can see a row of tightly parked, fueled B24s, but houses?

Curious. Both my homes are fully gas so I sorta take this seriously.
Yeah, that fireball indicates a secondary source, gasoline or something.

In the great scheme of things these types of incidents with natural gas, or even propane, are orders of magnitude rarer than electrical fires.

One of my neighbors did blow himself up with propane 20 or so years ago. He was cooking some meth up in his shed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House