Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2023, 04:02 AM

17,619 posts, read 17,665,401 times

Advertisements

At work a parking garage was built to include HVAC equipment to serve a section of the hospital. As such, it includes a restroom and office for performing chemical water test and monitoring equipment remotely via different control panels and computers. They installed under the sinks an electric tankless water heater. It seems to work well.

Have you ever seen such products included in homes? I can see the benefit of such a product in water and energy savings since the water heater is directly below the sink and provides nearly instant hot water instead of running for several minutes to allow the hot water to get from the tank or central home tankless water heater to the far away sink. Such a set up would limit use of water heater tank or central tankless water heater to large use like laundry or bathing. A sink water heater would not need to be as hot as the water used for bathing nor laundry so it could be set to a lower temperature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2023, 04:14 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,573,066 times
How I long for a point of use water heater in my kitchen. My water runs 8 cups of water before the hot comes up. 8 cups, even if I've only just used it a few minutes ago. It drives me insane.

I often wonder if there is a way to hook a small tank or tankless to just the kitchen, but when I try to research these things I just get too confused, it all sounds so complicated, expensive and doubtful and I give up.

It's not in the budget right now anyway, but if I knew for sure it was feasible, I might move it up the list.

Old 08-22-2023, 05:16 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
hey installed under the sinks an electric tankless water heater. It seems to work well.
Have you ever seen such products (used) in homes?
Yes. Home Depot LINK go shopping

Old 08-22-2023, 05:32 AM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
I have instant hot water under the kitchen sink, for cooking and making tea. It is set a a high temp.
I have a tankless whole house system. I see no reason to have one just for the kitchen sink. It is set at a lower temp.

Old 08-22-2023, 06:06 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,674,170 times
Yes, I've seen these in businesses and have one in the lab at work. In my experience they work well.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:19 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Not thankless, but we've had a 5 gallon instant hot water heater under our kitchen sink in our last two homes, and will have one in any future homes. Our neighbors saw and used it. At least 5 had one installed.

Several (including us) have experienced small leaks. We installed wifi water detectors. (We have them in several places in our home; we get a text if any of t by email 'feels a drop of water. )

Old 08-22-2023, 08:36 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,267,886 times
My house had one in the kitchen when I moved in. It worked fine but I took it out mostly because I wanted to use the 40-amp circuit to run modern wiring to the upstairs. Living alone most of the time I seldom come close to the minimum on the water bill so letting the tap run a few seconds before the water gets hot isn't hurting me any.

They really aren't designed to be a primary hot water source, but I have a cousin who used them as the sole source of hot water in a couple of efficiency apartments he built in some unused shop space and they seemed to do the job.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:45 AM

17,475 posts, read 66,045,317 times
Quote:
Have you ever seen such products included in homes?

Yes.

Old 08-22-2023, 10:13 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
At work a parking garage was built to include HVAC equipment to serve a section of the hospital. As such, it includes a restroom and office for performing chemical water test and monitoring equipment remotely via different control panels and computers. They installed under the sinks an electric tankless water heater. It seems to work well.

Have you ever seen such products included in homes? I can see the benefit of such a product in water and energy savings since the water heater is directly below the sink and provides nearly instant hot water instead of running for several minutes to allow the hot water to get from the tank or central home tankless water heater to the far away sink. Such a set up would limit use of water heater tank or central tankless water heater to large use like laundry or bathing. A sink water heater would not need to be as hot as the water used for bathing nor laundry so it could be set to a lower temperature.
Stiebel Eltron: study the information on their website to understand the details and select the proper unit or 2 or more tankless units if interested.

They have whole house tankless as well as various points of use water heaters - for bathrooms sinks - just raising the temperature to a comfortable hand washing temperature or you could get for under kitchen sink and sanitize everything- but don’t burn yourself - their heaters could go to a commercial level temperature

They are in Germany for more than half a century and in the US for a few years now.
Good products. Even worth it replacing the tank.

The key to understanding - that you don’t need to heat your water to high temps 24/7/365 like one does with tank heater and then dilute it with cold water!!?.
We are doing it for so long that we can’t even think or comprehend the insanity of it

With tankless - you just use only hot water faucet - which you could set to your preferred temperature or easy change with the heater remote just before showering

It is fast if you locate a small wall heater box near where you shower.
No adding cold water!!! No mixing! as it is a waste of energy

Their whole house heaters could handle simultaneous showers too.
Just get familiar with your incoming water temperature - they have a map - what part of the country you are in.

You may need to get a new heavy gauge electric wire - depending how powerful you want your heater - if it is only one in the house

The hand washing under the sink unit is good to go on regular wire, but must be hardwired.

These upgrades are worth it. They are not ugly, don’t take much room at all

Last edited by L00k4ward; 08-22-2023 at 10:41 AM..

Old 08-22-2023, 10:38 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,192,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
…

They really aren't designed to be a primary hot water source, but I have a cousin who used them as the sole source of hot water in a couple of efficiency apartments he built in some unused shop space and they seemed to do the job.
They are designed to be primary - ask me how do I know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House