Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 02:48 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,635,943 times

Advertisements

Our area. New roof about 5 years ago and as I recall we had some ice barriers installed in some spots 36" or more due shady roof valleys etc. Can't for certain say- I know it was discussed.

https://www.helenamt.gov/files/asset...08.28.2020.pdf

Quote:
R905.2.7.1 Ice barrier.
See the attached Montana Department of Labor and Industry Technical Advisory T1-16 In areas where there has been a history of ice forming along the eaves causing a backup of water as designated in Table R301.2(1), an ice barrier shall be installed for asphalt shingles, metal roof shingles, mineral-surfaced roll roofing, slate and slate-type shingles, wood shingles and wood shakes. The ice barrier shall consist of not fewer than two layers of underlayment cemented together, or a self-adhering polymer-modified bitumen sheet shall be used in place of normal
underlayment and extend from the lowest edges of all roof surfaces to a point not less than 24 inches (610 mm) inside the exterior wall line of the building. On roofs with slope equal to or greater than eight units vertical in 12 units horizontal (67-percent slope), the ice barrier shall also be applied not less than 36 inches (914 mm) measured along the roof slope from the eave edge of the building.

Exception: Detached accessory structures not containing conditioned floor area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2024, 11:14 AM

9,873 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Here in MA, 36" is code. Past the first joint in the plywood (about 48") is good practice.

I had my rear roof on dormer of my Cape style house fully covered with ice & water shield. The additional cost was minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Old 03-30-2024, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
How ever wide the roll is and a bit wider than the overhang of the roof. It's for ice dams, so I don't know what purpose it would serve for covering an entire roof that had been installed correctly, except for upping the cost tremendously because ice shield is expensive.

If you put the heat strips along the overhang while the roof is being installed then you don't have to worry about ice dams, for as long as the heat strips are still working. I'd still do the ice shield even with heat strips.
If you have to use heating strips, you have a bigger issue. If the attic is warm and melts the snow, it runs over the cold overhang and freezes. If you can prevent that, you don't need heat strips.

Old 03-30-2024, 07:29 PM

1,111 posts, read 606,309 times
When we were building up north where snowfall is measured in feet, not inches... we were instructed 36" would meet code. And after a decade the roof we put up is as pretty as the day we laid it.

The key is up there, the snow loads are high and length of the Winter season is long.

Though the insurance company told somebody who was building in the same area that they wouldn't insure their build if they didn't use ice shield on the whole roof.

I think that's a bit overkill.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
When we were building up north where snowfall is measured in feet, not inches... we were instructed 36" would meet code. And after a decade the roof we put up is as pretty as the day we laid it.

The key is up there, the snow loads are high and length of the Winter season is long.

Though the insurance company told somebody who was building in the same area that they wouldn't insure their build if they didn't use ice shield on the whole roof.

I think that's a bit overkill.
You mention snow load. The primary purpose of ice and water shield is to prevent water intrusion due to ice dams. Minimum code is 36" but for a little more money, one can go beyond minimum and ensure it never leaks.

Old 04-05-2024, 02:55 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
We are in the Seattle area where 10-20F is common in winter, and we get snow 3-4 times a year. Our code calls for a minimum of 24", and 36" if there is less slope to the roof. Our problem that is not helped by this is the metal chimney on the family room gas fireplace. It's triple-wall but apparently still gets warm enough to melt the snow, which then runs over the frozen rain gutter, down the downspout and covers it with over an inch of ice all the way to the ground.

Old 04-05-2024, 04:34 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,650,286 times
Here in Anchorage, AK, minimum is 3' past where the wall meets the roof. Meaning, if your roof has a 2' overhang, you need at least 5' of ice shield. If it were me, I'd have the whole roof done.

For what it's worth, we have gotten over 10 feet of snow this season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House