Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2024, 03:20 PM

276 posts, read 588,271 times

Advertisements

I'm getting mixed answers/estimates from roofers/contractors for anywhere from 3' to 6' to the entire roof...

I know that 3' is code, but most are quoting 6' or full roof.

A guy we really liked and is highly recommended said 3' is all he ever does (and gave various reasons why, which all sounded good, but then again anything he said would have sounded good to me...!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 07:02 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Inform yourself-

https://codes.iccsafe.org/content/NY...top-structures

And if you still have doubt or misunderstanding, contact your homeowners Ins Co and/or local agent for their requirements. Remember, codes are “minimal requirements”. Not to say you can’t go over and above, but sometimes the extra cost doesn’t outweigh the “performance”.

Old 03-29-2024, 12:31 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Had new roof installed last year. No ice shield. Live in south Louisiana

Old 03-29-2024, 05:11 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Had new roof installed last year. 6 feet of ice shield. Live in south east Michigan. Note: roof has a 40 degree pitch.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:25 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
I had mine replaced in the spring of '23, and again last month for hail damage. I trust that the roofer I use (commonly regarded as the best in the area) is doing what needs to be done... or he wouldn't be at the top of the heap.

Old 03-29-2024, 06:51 AM

276 posts, read 588,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1r View Post
I'm getting mixed answers/estimates from roofers/contractors for anywhere from 3' to 6' to the entire roof...

I know that 3' is code, but most are quoting 6' or full roof.

A guy we really liked and is highly recommended said 3' is all he ever does (and gave various reasons why, which all sounded good, but then again anything he said would have sounded good to me...!).
Sorry, I forgot to post that I'm in CT, so am mostly looking for responses from those in colder climates...

Thank you.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:04 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh1r View Post
Sorry, I forgot to post that I'm in CT, so am mostly looking for responses from those in colder climates...

Thank you.
Well, your profile has Westchester Co., NY- hence the reason for posting the link.

But, the answer is still the same- do your homework; find out what the (minimum) requirements are for CT. Then use that information to make an educated decision. All the responses you are getting from posters may or maynot give you the right information.

And, as I stated in my previous post- contact your ins co also.

Old 03-29-2024, 11:06 AM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
FWIW, in the South the heavier barrier near the eaves and in the valleys is the same material that is commonly used as the finished roof on a mobile home or travel trailer.

The material is synthetic (and if you believe the eco-nonsense about plastics, lasts forever). It has some UV resistance, and an adhesive back - think really heavy-duty contact paper. The standard underlay these days is a thinner version of the same material without the sticky back. Tar paper and the like have fallen out of favor.

Key issue with any underlay is that it has to retain some flexibility, to limit stress on it making holes or tears that water can penetrate.

Growing up in Vermont, sheet (or roll) aluminum (or sometimes galvanized steel) that went about a foot over the attic space and all the way down to the drip edge was used. The warmth of the attic could melt snow, the colder eaves and overhang formed ice dams. Once the electric heating wire was available, and placed in a zig-zag pattern, ice dams became a non-issue if you remembered to plug it in when conditions warranted it. Those icicles could be killers though.

Old 03-29-2024, 01:14 PM

32,633 posts, read 47,975,309 times
How ever wide the roll is and a bit wider than the overhang of the roof. It's for ice dams, so I don't know what purpose it would serve for covering an entire roof that had been installed correctly, except for upping the cost tremendously because ice shield is expensive.

If you put the heat strips along the overhang while the roof is being installed then you don't have to worry about ice dams, for as long as the heat strips are still working. I'd still do the ice shield even with heat strips.

Old 03-29-2024, 02:33 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
It kind of depends on where you are. In Texas I have never seen an ice dam in 60 years. In Massachusetts this was multiple times every winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House