Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 01:38 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times

Advertisements

The people who lived in our house before us had mouse problems. My hubbie actually removed part of the wall in the kitchen and found a big gap where anything could get in. He repaired it and also plugged any and all possible ways he could find for the little buggers to come in. Add a few cats to the mix and no more mice. Mice would amaze you at the size of holes they can squish through. I agree about using poison---they do die in the walls and it is a horrible smell. We had that happen in our last home and actually had to have a portion of the wall taken out and have it removed---yuk---and it cost us a pretty penny!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2008, 01:58 PM

3,191 posts, read 9,183,768 times
If you do use a posion, you need to get the type that essentially 'mummifies' them, then the body remains do not decompose. And then if they get in the walls, no smell.... For the life of me I can't remember which kind it is....
seems like it is a pellet of sorts....if I can find it I will post it...

Old 06-08-2008, 04:14 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,695,729 times
We do what Scotty said - up to a point.

We use the live traps also because I don't want to kill them. I'm surprised at how well the trap works, too! We had mice in the garage, and in one week we have trapped and released 7 mice. (Or, the same one 7 times) (No, they don't all look alike, nor are they the same size). There might be new ones sneaking in, though.
They're actually kind of cute, and I've been surprised by having one run across my arm when I'm reaching for something on the workbench.

Old 06-08-2008, 09:08 PM

1,016 posts, read 4,542,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
They're actually kind of cute, and I've been surprised by having one run across my arm when I'm reaching for something on the workbench.
Oh, I would have a heart attack if that happened to me!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
There are some white plastic mouse traps that work sort of like a clothespin..you never have to touch the mouse to dispose of it. We bait with cheese or peanut butter and, the few mouse incidents we've had, these traps have taken care of the problem. I would rather know I'd gotten one than worry about the poison and the mice dying in the walls.

We had one living under the fridge (he had quite a set up going where he was equidistant from the dryer lint and the dog food..mouse heaven) that we got with a trap. It was so cute, that I felt badly I hadn't trapped in in a cage and kept it for a pet.

Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 AM

1,122 posts, read 4,109,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
We use the live traps also because I don't want to kill them. I'm surprised at how well the trap works, too! We had mice in the garage, and in one week we have trapped and released 7 mice. (Or, the same one 7 times) (No, they don't all look alike, nor are they the same size). There might be new ones sneaking in, though.
Although I wouldn't want them living in the house (due to potential damage to electrical wiring, etc.) I certainly don't freak out when I see a mouse.
They're just little mammals for heaven's sake. I'd much rather see mice in the house than any kind of bugs!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 08:22 PM

1,311 posts, read 4,681,734 times
I second the idea of putting steel wool in any possible openings. It really works! We had mice (I'm shuddering just thinking about it) in one college apt. and the steel wool did the trick! And they do reek if they "stay" inside the walls permanently. Yuck!!! Good luck.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 PM

45 posts, read 391,108 times
We moved into our new house a few months ago and have had nothing but mice problems since. We were one of the first houses built in what was a grass field, and the construction must have hearded them to our house. I found that those two for a dollar mouse traps worked the best, with peanut butter. Just put them by the stove or fridge and if there is a mouse around and you will find dead mice in the morning.

I finally got smart and found they were comming in through the weepholes in the exterior brick. I bought this stuff called "stuff it" copper mesh which worked great. I haven't had a single mouse since then.

Well, one did run in when I opened the garage door at night. Tossed a trap back there and 2 mins later heard a snap

Old 06-11-2008, 05:07 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,665,015 times
Default Natural Repellent

Soak cotton dipped in peppermint oil near problem areas. Also you can use kitty litter.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:01 AM

714 posts, read 722,135 times
Exclusion, exclusion, exclusion!! It seems I've had mice in my basement ceiling for an indeterminate period of time. I've gone through the whole mess -- seeing a mouse in my light fixture. Droppings in the kitchen cabinets. Had my exterminator set traps and set up bait stations. Cat got into the bait, necessitating $600 in vet bills for emergency vet visit, Vitamin K, follow-up. I've never seen a mouse in the house other than the few that got into the traps. Been through the "cat interested in cabinets" thing too.

I have caulked the siding to the house all around. I've looked for openings. I've done everything I can do. We will see if we get them again this winter, because that's when they come in. I have two cats and neither one has ever caught a mouse. I hate, hate, hate this. I dread remodeling my basement because God knows what we'll find in the ceiling. I now keep cotton balls soaked with oil of peppermint (not peppermint extract; oil of peppermint, available in health food stores) in the cabinets. Now sure what, if anything will work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House