Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 12,514 times

Advertisements

My kitchen sink leaks everytime I put ice in it (e.g., when the ice melts). Can anyone help me figure out why this happens? My sink NEVER leaks when I turn on the water from the faucet. It only leaks when I dump ice in it. I mean, it leaks even when I put just 1 ice cube. Someone please help me figure out why and how to fix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 10:53 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LundMaker View Post
My kitchen sink leaks everytime I put ice in it (e.g., when the ice melts). Can anyone help me figure out why this happens? My sink NEVER leaks when I turn on the water from the faucet. It only leaks when I dump ice in it. I mean, it leaks even when I put just 1 ice cube. Someone please help me figure out why and how to fix.
It sounds like you could fix it by not putting any ice in the sink.

As far as "why" is concerned, can you give a little more info?

Where is the leak happening? From the trap? From around the flange where the sink ends and the plumbing begins?

Old 12-04-2008, 12:08 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
Sounds like you been watching too many Ghost movies. If there is anything to this then it would have to do with the cold expanding a compression nut. But that is about as far stretched as me winning the pick 6 mega bucks 7
consecutive nights in a row.

Like JimB said, where exactly is it leaking?

Old 12-04-2008, 04:49 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,884,909 times
I'd stop putting ice in the sink. It belongs in a glass with some gin. Save the sink for dirty dishes.
It's a stange leak. What is leaking, the drain?, the P trap?, is there a dosposer?, the drain where it meets the sink? there is usually a caulk/putty sealant there, the ice may be shrinking it and causing a leak. Stangest thing I ever heard.
I'll go have a cold gin and think about it.

Old 12-04-2008, 04:59 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,879,293 times
Very strange..! My WAG would be condensation, if it never leaks with water, only with ice...?

Old 12-04-2008, 09:17 PM

3,020 posts, read 25,730,853 times
Default Maybe the problem is the ice......

If you put ice in a glass and then follow that with lots of gin, can see strange things at times. Especially if you repeat the process at short intervals.

Yes, you can get a contraction of materials and maybe be enough for somethings to leak. But one lil ice cube is pushing the envelope.

If this is actually a repeatable problem should be easy to discover the leakage point. Provided more ice has not been used for cooling of the gin prior. Just put a few test cubes in the sink and watch in a sober manner what happens. Use a dry towel to discover the leakage path, strong light will help.

We get all types of problems. This one is enough to call for at least a cold beer on my part. Am not going to pour any of that highly chilled liquid down my sink, so am not anticipating any leakage. Least not until I get enough down me, then I normally do get a type of leakage. My GF gets very annoyed if any of that goes down a sink tho.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:14 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,653,116 times
I came back to see what the outcome was. I guess his ice cube thing was a hoax.......

Old 12-06-2008, 09:26 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
putting ice in the sink without running the water could cause condensation on the underside of the sink depending on the amount of moisture in the air under the sink. Next time you put ice in the sink, run some hot water to melt the ice.

Old 04-05-2011, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 8,579 times
My sink is leaking where underneath where the sink fixture ends and the pipe begins..Now what?

Old 04-05-2011, 11:55 AM

5,356 posts, read 18,542,136 times
Turn off the water and fix it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House