Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:05 AM

4,620 posts, read 14,982,275 times

Advertisements

I agree - not mice (too many holes); not carpenter bees (wrong size hole - usually round, and too many holes); but a bird, probably yes because it looks like lots of attempts at something, either finding insects for food or trying to create a hole for a nesting spot (had neighbors once whose house was full of holes thanks to sparrows that had moved in).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:05 AM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
I'm going with carpenter bees. They are pretty classic bee holes. Woodpeckers usually make much smaller holes and will have clusters of holes close together.

By the way, your siding really needs painting, like maybe a year ago.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:49 AM

733 posts, read 4,653,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
I'm going with carpenter bees. They are pretty classic bee holes. Woodpeckers usually make much smaller holes and will have clusters of holes close together.

By the way, your siding really needs painting, like maybe a year ago.
Guess it depends on where you are. We get huge holes from woodpeckers.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:58 AM

4,176 posts, read 10,685,087 times
I've had carpenter bees before, and their holes are almost always small (about the circumference of a finger) and circular. if the wood is damaged, a squirrel, bird, or small rodent could invade the damaged places, enlarge them, and use them as nests or storage places. It doesn't take much for invading critters to feel invited! - especially if the house was not lived in for a while.

Some of the smaller holes do look like carpenter bees', but definitely not the larger holes. Sometimes just the repair of the holes, and a presence of humans, will cause the rodents to look elsewhere. If it is squirrels or birds though, they may need further deterrent! I always thought that those big plastic owls were silly, but there was one in the bole of a tree on the property we just bought, and it seems to work for the squirrels and birds. They won't go near the area.

Honestly, though, looking at the sheathing and the holes, you may have more of a consideration - what little I could see, that house was not constructed very soundly, the sheathing doesn't appear to have any kind of back board to it. I could be wrong, but it looks like you have a lot of open space behind it. That is bad for insulation as well as longevity!

Old 12-20-2008, 07:35 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,895,809 times
I think it's woodpeckers, too. We have the same damage on our house from them. And the woodpeckers we get can be pretty big, Blue Jay sized and larger. There are several different types of woodpeckers, ranging from small to large.

Old 12-20-2008, 10:12 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,454,732 times
I agree with granny I think they were carpenter bees and a bird or something else invited itself to the easy access hole. To many holes are practically the same size and the holes are in the grooves where the wood is the thinnest. That would only be something looking to bury itself in the cavity and not looking for the wood for food.

Old 12-20-2008, 01:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,778,724 times
Looks like woodpeckers. We have the same problem. No easy solution. It is illegal to kill them. There is a device called the woodpecker attack spider. I might try gto get some and see how they work.

Old 12-20-2008, 03:22 PM

4,705 posts, read 25,293,104 times
IN our area the carpenter bees do make the round holes, but they also creat the oblong ones. Carpenter bees bore into the wood, then turn and burrow a little tunnel to lay their eggs. I think they might get too close to the edge of the wood and break through and create the oblong ones.

We have a lot of cedar siding houses and see a bunch of it here. I have been at houses and seen them in action.

I'll put some money on it - or at least some Krispy Kreme donuts

Old 12-20-2008, 03:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,124,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
Looks like a woodpecker to me. We've had one or two get real attached to one or two spots, even though there's nothing to feed on, and hammer away. Put some tin sheeting up and that moves it off to a tree or a neighbor's place...
I second the woodpecker theory. Looks very familiar. LOL

20yrsinBranson
(rural Missouri, woodpecker heaven)

Old 12-22-2008, 10:02 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,770,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeman View Post
I 'may' buy this fixer-upper, but found these holes in the exterior wood underneath one window. What caused it? Mice? Drilling wasps? I noticed nut or shell husks in one of the bigger holes, so I'm sure mice are living in there, but I wonder what caused the holes in the first place? And why only under that one window? I don't see them anywhere else on the exterior.
Those holes appear to be consitent with carpenter bees. Since you found "shell husks" around one of the bigger holes, that confirms it to my mind. Carpenter bees dig channels about 8" long into studs and substantial wooden members. I'll bet that if you tear that siding off you will see that the studs are covered in little holes about the size of a nickel, like this:

http://www.marietta.edu/~biol/biomes...r_bee_2664.jpg

Carpenter bees do this:

http://www.bugspray.net/pictures/beenest.jpg
to studs. They can't do that in siding, so I'll bet those are just ingress holes.

Your "shell husks"; did they look anything like this?-
http://www.acewalco.com/images/carpenter_bee_wood-lg.jpg (broken link)
http://www.acewalco.com/images/carpenter_bee_wood-lg.jpg (broken link)

If so, that shortens the list of culprits considerably.

Carpenter bees can be pretty destructive, but you have to let them work undisturbed for a very long time. It looks like this house hasn't been suffering from "overmanagement" and there may be some extensive damage to that wall. It's nothing you can't fix, but I'll bet this isn't the only problem that this house has.

It's also possible that you've had a number of animals working on this portion of the house. For example, a bird trying to extract carpenter bee larvae from the wood beneath. All kinds of possibilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House