Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,
Hope you can offer some advice. My home is a large double-wide manufactured home and a recent windstorm ruined my front storm door. Mobile home doors are shorter than standard doors so I seemed to have just two choices in replacing the storm door -- buy a mobile home door, which aren't very attractive, and special-order another door, which is very pricey. Plus, the windstorm shattered the glass and I figured if it happened once, it will likely happen again. We have a LOT of high winds here on the South Plains.

I've been shopping and pondering and found Screen Tight Vinyl Screen Doors. They're really attractive and can be cut easily to fit your door space. The one I bought is the Waverly design.

Screen Doors - Screen Tight's Better Board Screen Doors

Anyhoo, the question I have is about hardware. I need to install a door knob set with some sort of deadbolt to keep the door secure in high winds. The storm door had a protruding latch which secured on a catch inside the wood frame of the door opening. The screen door, however, will have a regular knob and deadbolt coming from inside the side of the door, hopefully.

For easier installation, I figured we could use the existing frame and cut-out hinge areas from the storm door and simply install the new hardware. However, the holes to accommodate the deadbolts would have to be drilled through the metal framing. Is this possible? Or is there a better solution?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2009, 08:02 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Thats the way my storm door with a deadbolt throw is installed. A hole was cut in the metal door jamb cover and the wood behind chisled out.

I don't know if thats the right way to do it, but it'll work.

Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,004,464 times
That's good to know -- thanks, Gerania! My storm door didn't have a deadbolt, just a cheapy latch, so the hardware for the new door will require holes to be drilled for it. I was concerned about the installer having to cut through the metal.

Does your door stay securely closed and locked? The winds here are vicious!

Old 01-07-2009, 10:27 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times
Yes it does. The dead bolt/throw lock keeps the door securely closed. Since you have to turn the handle to open it, yours won't shake or rattle open in a high wind. The clips that hold our glass in place are brass.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:12 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times
May be worthwhile to get one of the hydraulic door closer/damper gismos, may help keep it from slamming open/closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House