Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 6,252 times

Advertisements

Very much enjoyed this conversation; was worried that I was the only one who had this problem. Have Heat n' Glo gas fireplace that vents directly to rear of house via horizontal pipe; cold air pours in around the fireplace, even with the glass in place firmly. Given that I can look into the fireplace and see straight out the pipe to the trees, it doesn't surprise me that air comes in. There is a termination cap but, probably of necessity, it has slats on top, bottom, and sides. I ordered a flue blocker and a cap cover from Amazon, although the cover is intended for summer use (there wasn't one for winter use). Am hoping that the belt-and-suspenders approach will stop the cold wind. Had visit from Heat n' Glo representative last year and he said that everything was installed correctly. I still have trouble believing that these fireplaces are meant to let air pour in like mine does -- from above the glass, below it, and on either side. It's not a bit of seepage; it's a breeze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 08:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,196 times
I have the same issue with the same set up you have. I have used rock wool to close the holes beneath where the gas line comes in, and around another hole with the wires. It got better. Last winter I de died not using it and turning off the gas was the best option, used window sealer package over the entire front, bought the blue/green hard foam insulation cut it to fit snug into the frame of the hearth and covered it using a lovely black fabric..and pushed it into the frame. Problem solved! This year I decided to give it another try.... have now purchased a special made magnetic blanket, and just bought the vent covers to boot. If these don’t do it..I am back to lady years solution! Terrible design!

Old 01-03-2018, 12:17 PM
go5

1 posts, read 5,931 times
Hi all,

Just read through the thread but still did not get an understanding of my problem (I saw another poster has the same area of issue). I have a major draft coming in from the control box, it is coming in from the hole where the gas line and wiring comes in. Can I simply seal that area up with foil tape, etc? If not what are my options to fix this?

Thanks for any help

Old 01-03-2018, 05:49 PM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go5 View Post
Can I simply seal that area up with foil tape, etc?

Probably not a good idea- get "fire caulk". It's fire rated caulk that's used for fire blocking; its non-flammable. The aluminum in the tape isn't flammable, but the adhesive certainly is. Not that there's going to be flame there- but you certainly don't want to feed it either!

Old 01-05-2018, 04:11 PM

1,532 posts, read 1,059,982 times
Having the same difficulty. Sorry to see so many having this problem, but very glad I’m not alone.

Old 11-30-2018, 05:59 AM

2 posts, read 10,941 times
Here in Cincinnati. House is 10 years old. I've the same problem described by everyone else for a decade. Cold air pours through the bottom of the fireplace whenever outside temps are under 40 degrees.

A few years ago I stuffed a layer of Rockwool insulation under the fireplace. Not the entire area, only enough to block the cold air from blowing directly in to the house. I've read all 6 pages and keep seeing folks say "this is not recommended" and I am sure it is not. However, it has solved the issue and not caused any other problems.

Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRogers View Post
A few years ago I stuffed a layer of Rockwool insulation under the fireplace. Not the entire area, only enough to block the cold air from blowing directly in to the house. I've read all 6 pages and keep seeing folks say "this is not recommended" and I am sure it is not. However, it has solved the issue and not caused any other problems.

I can assure you it didn't "solve" your problem- it most likely just slowed it down.
//www.city-data.com/forum/7419078-post6.html

Old 12-03-2018, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,941 times
What I meant by "solved" is that cold air no longer blows into my house. The Rockwool is 4 inches thick and it blocks the cold air.

My question is, why is this not recommended? Why doesn't the manufacturer/installer utilize something to block the cold air (especially under the unit) from entering?

Old 12-04-2018, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRogers View Post
My question is, why is this not recommended? Why doesn't the manufacturer/installer utilize something to block the cold air (especially under the unit) from entering?
The rockwool itself isn't the problem- it doesn't burn- but it can insulate enough to effect the temperature of the firebox; resulting in damaged/buckled sheetmetal of the pre-fab unit.

If you were to look at a freestanding prefab unit you would see that there is no openings to the firebox except for the flue. And some prefab units that are gas only units usually have controls under the firebox- that space is also closed except for maybe a hole for wires on a switch; and/or the gas line. Both of which should be sealed with either "fire caulk" or grommet.

Most people who complain of a "draft" coming "from the fireplace" is not a draft at all. It's actually convection. Other "mis-diagnoses" are fresh air vent being left open, or broken in the open position, or an open damper.

The convection scenario is quite frequent- due to the the construction of most chimneys today. It's just a shaft- on the side of the house- that's uninsulated and certainly not air tight. So, the cold air is there in place making the firebox cold. When warm air (from your HVAC heat source) comes in contact or near the firebox the convection process starts- at times it can actually feel like a "draft". Explaining thermal dynamics in a somewhat "laymans terms" can be a bit difficult.

Old 12-04-2018, 12:02 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,015 times
This is interesting, as I also have a direct-vent gas fireplace. But it's in a corner, the vent behind it is not straight, but turns at a 45 degree angle before it exits. I feel no cold air at all around the fireplace when it is off. I wonder if a lot of people have the wind blowing in cold air directly through the pipe? In my case, the wind does not blow in that direction, plus the 45 degree angle probably helps as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House