Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 10:16 AM
GMU GMU started this thread

56 posts, read 552,817 times

Advertisements

We have a new home that has a "direct vent" gas fireplace in the family room. The direct vent goes straight out back via a 6 inch or so pipe, and has free flow to the outside environment so it lets in a ton of freezing cold air. The glass front to the firebox stops half of the cold air coming in, but cold air seeps in from all other areas surrounding the firebox, mostly on the bottom where the gas line/wires are located.

What can we do? These new direct vent FPs do not operate with a flue, so there is nothing you can shut to close out the cold air. The builder says since there is no pilot light on these new FPs, they tend to be this way since the pilot light helps keep it warm and the drafts out.

We have bought those magnetic strip covers to block the front panels...not much of help. Blankets in front bottom, not much help. We have even shut off the gas line, not using the fireplace at all, and stuffed the 6 inch vent and air is still getting in! The builder checked it out and says it is properly insulated on the outside.

I'm wondering if there is any insulation-type material I can place underneath the firebox, where the gas line/wires are. From what I've read this is not recommended, but if we are not using it I'm sure it's not dangerous.

Catch 22: 1) Don't use FP and we are forced to jack up the thermostat and huge gas bill, or 2) Use the FP and also have a huge gas bill

Arrghh!! Whoever designed these direct-vent fireplaces with no flue should be slapped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 11:37 AM

17,472 posts, read 66,002,677 times
What brand is the fireplace?
I've dealt with a few different brands- but they all operate on the same principle. The firebox should be air tight. And conbustion air comes in through the outer part of the exhaust/flue pipe. Some brands actually have a air shutter to control the amount of air that enters the firebox.
Other than something not installed correctly or not sealed properly- you could possibly have the wrong vent termination cap.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 AM

Thanks. It is a Heat n' Glow fireplace. So if the firebox is supposed to be air tight, then the glass door is the only mechanism to stop the cold air from entering your house I'm taking it.

I just can't believe that you have to live with this issue if you get one of these fireplaces. If the builder cannot fix it, I'll pay to have a professional come out to assess/repair....and then maybe push for the builder to pay for the remedies. Doubt they will go for it but who knows...I just want it fixed is the main issue.

Old 02-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Heat 'n Glow has a fairly extensive website with PDF files of manuals. Try finding your exact model (look at the ID tag on the right hand edge of the firebox- or behind the lower panel) and read thoroughly if you don't have the one that came with the f/pl.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you mean by glass door. H&G's direct vent f/pls have a fixed one-piece glass that seals the firebox. There are latches top and bottom that hold it in place. And there should also be a shutter adjustment behind the bottom panel next to the gas valve. You may want to check the backside of the glass panel and make sure the seal is still there and in good condition. It looks similar to the seal you would see on an oven door.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:11 AM

Thanks K'ledgeBldr. I read the manual and did not see anything about a shutter valve, but I will look for that tonight. And yes, by glass door I meant the fixed one-piece glass that seals the firebox. It does have a seal, albeit not as thick as an oven seal.

Do you think it would help to add some type of insulation UNDER the firebox, where the gas line and electrical wires are? Is there any that would be safe?

Old 02-11-2009, 07:45 AM

Rockwool would be the better choice- however, it's only going to act as an air filter. You have to stop the infiltration of air first for any type of insulation to work.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Thanks. I read the online manual and it does have a shutter valve adjustment underneath the firebox. But isn't this just controlling the amount of outside air going into the firebox? I'm assuming it has nothing to do with the main air coming in from the vent/termination cap piping?

Old 02-11-2009, 03:17 PM

That's where the combustion air comes from. The vent pipe is a double wall pipe- the inner pipe is the exhaust from the fireplace, the outer pipe is the fresh-air inlet. As I had stated before- if your getting air in from around the firebox and not the firebox itself- you may have the vent pipe connected poorly- allowing air to other parts of the framing cavity or you could have the wrong termination cap.
Other than that I'm at a lost- contact the builder and find out who the subcontractor was that did the install- and get them out there.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,433,048 times
I placed a plastic bag around the outside vent box and taped it up to seal it. Doesn't look great but it cut down on the airflow tremendously.

Old 02-12-2009, 08:55 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,043 times
Don't settle with plastic and tape... get your builder back in there to address the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House