Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 08:52 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times

Advertisements

Yes- when we sold in Fl- basically you shouldnt have a lavender painted guest room- etc... It really common sense. How old is the house? you just want everything to look clear and uncluttered. There are alot of tv shows now- people are trying to cash in- but IMO sell this house (the first show dealing with this) is the best- Good luck!

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 11:06 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,769,985 times
I have been complimented by many a realtor in how nice by house shows. I go through with a laundy basket and pick up anything I don't like lying around, keys, cell phone chargers, all the frig magnets, and clutter goes away and many daily household items. The drain boards, oven mitts on the frig magnet, salt and pepper shakers, remotes for tv's, all shoes, toiletires in bathrooms, etc. I can go on and on.
My question is this, should I take down family photos from the walls? Are they too personal? I don't have a lot but was wondering if they should not be there at all.

Old 05-03-2007, 11:41 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,605,052 times
Yes-they say all personal items should be away-it makes the room look bigger!

Old 05-03-2007, 12:07 PM

460 posts, read 2,422,574 times
When I listed my house 2 weeks ago, before the realtor showed up I boxed up almost everything that was on any surface. My neighbor came over and said, "OMG it looks so barren, so not personal." When the realtor got here she said, "OH how nice you got rid of all the personal items and unnecessary clutter, you are smart." When I got to realtor.com and look at other houses in my price range I notice they have "mostly" done the same thing. It sure looks clean here. What a shame I have to sell this house to get it virtually clean.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 PM

3 posts, read 6,471 times
Most people won't admit, or even realize this, but they often make up their mind on whether they like a house or not on a subconscious level. A lot of that has to do with how they feel about the environment more than the actual attributes of the house. If the house is cluttered with out-of-date furniture or harshly painted walls, they are not going to like the house no matter how the price or layout works into their plans.

It is difficult to be subjective about your future home.

Old 07-13-2010, 07:23 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
If a person walking into a home cannot imagine how their furnishings will look, and are to busy looking at the sellers stuff, instead of the room size, closets, layout and the important stuff.....then something is wrong here. I do not need some "stager" to spell it out for me.............

I do not need a seller to remove their personal stuff, it is not coming with the house....
I'm not interested in their furnishings, I do not care what the color of the walls are. I do not care what type of window treatments they have.

What I want to see is a home in good condition. No cracks in ceilings and walls, good roof, no leakage anywhere.....

Old 07-14-2010, 12:16 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,326,728 times
I don't personally have a problem with looking at empty houses. But there's a big reason NOT to show one. MANY people have size/depth perception issues. They are constitutionally incapable of looking at an empty room and realizing what will or will not fit into it. Once in awhile I show houses for a Realtor and I have encountered many people who look into a master and say, "My king-size bed won't fit in there." And it will, easily. I whip out a tape measure and prove it to them -- and they're astounded. It's a fact that rooms with a moderate amount of furniture look BIGGER, rather than smaller, than the same room, empty. Especially if you have polished hardwood floors and one nice rug anchoring the seating area.

Old 07-15-2010, 03:02 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,095,164 times
Default some people don't have the imagination . . .

I think that home staging is a Seller's prerogative. However, I've seen and spoken to several 1st time home buyers walking through houses who constantly remark about the color of walls, the Seller's ugly furniture, personal collections, etc.

If selling the house and getting one's Asking Price takes de-cluttering, neutral paint, fresh carpeting, a few good furnishings, matching drapes, and vanilla-scented air fresheners, then that's not alot to ask from a serious Seller. Some people simply cannot visualize things and the need the work to be done for them.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:48 PM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
I think that home staging is a Seller's prerogative. However, I've seen and spoken to several 1st time home buyers walking through houses who constantly remark about the color of walls, the Seller's ugly furniture, personal collections, etc.

If selling the house and getting one's Asking Price takes de-cluttering, neutral paint, fresh carpeting, a few good furnishings, matching drapes, and vanilla-scented air fresheners, then that's not alot to ask from a serious Seller. Some people simply cannot visualize things and the need the work to be done for them.

The realtor should always tell first time home buyers that wall color does not matter, as everyone paints. The sellers furnishings shouldn't matter either as they are not staying with the home.
Really, some first time home buyers make it like they done never lived in a house before......I wonder if any of them have parents that live in a house......one that is not updated to the nearest millionth of a second?????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House