Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:13 PM

1,025 posts, read 4,096,091 times

Advertisements

Hardiplank is the superior product structurally and, to me, aesthetically as well. You don't see those obvious seams as you do with vinyl and if your neighbor's house burns across the street, your siding won't melt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 03:29 PM

73 posts, read 330,673 times
Lizmont - I do not live in Lawson yet. My house is under construction there right now. I must say that we spent a few days looking at a lot of homes and I really loved Lawson. I loved the homes, trees, ammenities. I felt that it was a great neighborhood. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2007, 04:37 PM

474 posts, read 1,749,476 times
Personally, I won't buy a vinyl house. I think it looks cheap and will look even cheaper in 5 to 10 years when the seams start popping and you start to see waves developing. Our last house was all hardi-plank siding and the one we're building now is hardi-plank siding with hardi-plank shakes as well. It's more expensive, but it has a 50 year warranty and you save on homeowners insurance because it has an 8 hour fire rating. No contest between hardi-plank and vinyl imo.

Old 03-31-2007, 09:45 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,168 times
The difference between the two is not as obvious from the distance you are when driving by in your car.
When you have a chance- go up and poke vinyl siding. Its thin and flimsy that despite being maitanence free (no painting) will get brittle and easily crack from rocks kicked up by lawnmower, etc and will eventually have to be entirely ripped off and replaced.
Hardiplank will last as long as the rest of your house will presumably, only needing to be painted every 10 or 15 years. Its some dense stuff, and will not rot, cannot be eaten by termites. I did the portion of my home that wasn't brick with hardiplank rather than vinyl.
Oh btw, hardiboard is the same material as hardiplank but in 4'x8' sheet form that is hung vertically usually, a little cheaper but not nearly as attractive as the Hardiplank which is rather actual planks that are installed like traditional lap siding.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:40 PM

117 posts, read 493,250 times
Dumb question of the day, can you remove the vinyl sidings of a house and replace it with hardiplank?

Old 03-31-2007, 11:27 PM

259 posts, read 1,182,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Dumb question of the day, can you remove the vinyl sidings of a house and replace it with hardiplank?
You sure can. Once the old vinyl siding is removed, and the house is naked down to its sheathing and/or moisture barrier, just about any kind of siding can be installed. Its just not gonna be as cheap to have hardiplank put up as vinyl. Its more labor intensive and the material cost is higher.

After brick, hardiplank is about the most durable option. It should outlast cedar shake, wood clapboard, plywood siding, aluminum and vinyl.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:52 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,757 times
Default Vinyl Siding??

We are going to be residing our home and I am wondering what the best type of siding would be? We live on a farm in a very rural area so it will need to be very durable against wind, sleet, snow, rain etc.. I was thinking vinyl but some vinyl I've seen just looks cheap. Any suggestions on siding or experiences with vinyl?
Thanks!

Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM

11,395 posts, read 24,456,213 times
Have you read about Hardie-plank? It's a concrete product that is sold in strips like clapboard siding.

I'm not in the sales business, but if I were going to put new siding on my house, this is what I would use.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner.htm (broken link)

Old 04-18-2007, 04:09 PM

Location: Sometimes Maryland, sometimes NoVA. Depends on the day of the week
1,501 posts, read 11,753,766 times
Here is a previous discussion on vinyl siding.

Old 04-18-2007, 05:32 PM

1,372 posts, read 5,210,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
Have you read about Hardie-plank? It's a concrete product that is sold in strips like clapboard siding.

I'm not in the sales business, but if I were going to put new siding on my house, this is what I would use.

http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner.htm (broken link)
yeah I agree they even have it where it looks like cedar shingles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > House